E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB4 Questions - Do you know the answers?

06-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
amitkhas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i X-Drive Sedan

JB4 Questions - Do you know the answers?

Hi All,

I know there's a lot of JB4 threads, but I wasn't able to find the answers to the questions below. I'm trying to choose between JB4 and PPK. Even after reading most of the threads, I'm still deadlock. Perhaps the answers to the below questions will sway me... I hope...

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answers to these questions as I haven't been able to find them. Anyway, here it goes.

1) JB4 is activated once the oil temp comes up. Is this also true for PPK? Or does the PPK kick-in right away?

2) What is the approximate gas mileage of JB4? This might help justify the cost of the PPK. On stock, I currently get 25mpg. Should I expect 22-23 with JB4?

3) For JB4 Map 2, what EXACTLY is required? I've seen conflicting threads on this. Some people say Catless DP is needed, others say 93 Oct is needed. Others say both are required? WHICH IS IT! I can't get catless where I live, so this is big if I can't run Map 2 w/o it. They say Map2 is a lot better.

4) What tools are required for JB4 install? I want to make sure I have everything I need.

5) Which is better for daily driving RPM (i.e. 1k - 4k RPM)? They say JB4 is significantly better on higher RPM bands, but what about low RPM? Are they about equal?

6) Anyone near the Boston or Providence area that I could ask for help if need be?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: E92 335xi n55

Answer to 1) It kicks in directly after pushing the START button

For your other questions, you can pose them directly to Mike of JB! He will answer quickly
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
RaddM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 F82 MG

2.) your mpg goes down the drain because you will always have your foot into the gas. You can turn it off at the steering wheel if needed and you'll get normal mpg.
3.) To run map 2, down pipes and 93 is highly recommended. You can get away with 91 with both mods. Mix in some 110 and you'll be set!
4.) install is simple. A socket set and a skinny eyeglass flat head screw driver.
5.) you can't even drive at 1k rpm. You'll feel the power and torque at high rpm's 3.5 and higher.

As soon as I installed my JB4 I had to replace all my ignition coils and plugs fyi. The coils were never good on the cars and the JB4 will amplify the problems. Don't freak out when your car goes into limp mode. Make sure you remove the JB4 if your going to have the dealer replace the ignition coils. I would just recommended ordering 6 new ones along w/ plugs when you order the JB4. If you end up loosing an ignition coil, bmw will only replace that one, you will most likely go through all six if you like to drive the car hard. Just a little food for thought. Terry from burger is an awesome guy and can help with any questions or codes your car throws.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
fweddy
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkhas View Post
Hi All,

I know there's a lot of JB4 threads, but I wasn't able to find the answers to the questions below. I'm trying to choose between JB4 and PPK. Even after reading most of the threads, I'm still deadlock. Perhaps the answers to the below questions will sway me... I hope...

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answers to these questions as I haven't been able to find them. Anyway, here it goes.

1) JB4 is activated once the oil temp comes up. Is this also true for PPK? Or does the PPK kick-in right away?

2) What is the approximate gas mileage of JB4? This might help justify the cost of the PPK. On stock, I currently get 25mpg. Should I expect 22-23 with JB4?

3) For JB4 Map 2, what EXACTLY is required? I've seen conflicting threads on this. Some people say Catless DP is needed, others say 93 Oct is needed. Others say both are required? WHICH IS IT! I can't get catless where I live, so this is big if I can't run Map 2 w/o it. They say Map2 is a lot better.

4) What tools are required for JB4 install? I want to make sure I have everything I need.

5) Which is better for daily driving RPM (i.e. 1k - 4k RPM)? They say JB4 is significantly better on higher RPM bands, but what about low RPM? Are they about equal?

6) Anyone near the Boston or Providence area that I could ask for help if need be?

Thanks!
Hey bro I'll give some input on my experience with both ppk and jb4 (:

1) PPK works from the very moment you start your car. As for JB4 and its oil temp warm-up, I'm not too clear on this maybe Mike can give his input. I usually drive the car in map0 till it properly warms up before I switch to map2, just a personal preference on having the car warm up before boosting more. Also, if you have a ppk and install jb4 on top of that, the famous exhaust burble and overun pops are still ever present, which makes it AWESOME.

2) I don't know the real requirements but if recommended by bms to have a catless dp for map 2, i would say follow that. Altho, map1 itself is much more powerful at 12.5psi boost compared to 9.5(ppk). The power delivery in map2 seems smoother as compared to map1 IMO.

5) I drive on map2 DAILY everywhere (once warmed up as mentioned in pt1), comparing map2 to ppk on a daily drive having used both before, I honestly prefer the drive with jb4. Daily driving also meaning to say I'm cruising around between 1500rpm to not more than 3000rpm and I'm in a country with serious traffic issues. Why, the ppk does give you the extra "kick" and throttle response over stock because there's like a sporty boost or surge from 1500rpm which most people fancy. However, if you drive long enough and know where the boost+power+how the jb4 spools the turbo (this is a very personal btw), the power delivery of torque and bhp comes SOOOO much smoother, linear and consistent with the jb4 even from 1500rpm. You get a much more obvious sound of the turbo spooling and your feel the car surging forward with much more composure and stability. Not to mention after 3000rpm - 6000rpm and above, the power from jb4 is even greater, wont dwell too much on that. PPK from 3000-6000 if you compare to jb4 it SERIOUSLY pales in comparison. The sound, the rpms going up just isn't as refined, and it just feels lacklustre in every way.

Having said that, if warranty is your main concern, thats a decision you have to make yourself regardless of what people tell you or advise on SA's etc..

Hope this will help you a little (:
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
amitkhas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i X-Drive Sedan

Thanks for the replies. They were very helpful.

So I started calling around, and realized this all has become a moot point. I do not have the Oil Cooler installed and thus, cannot install the PPK. I imagine if the car cannot get the PPK, then it probably cannot get the JB4 either.

Oh well, looks like the car has to remain stock

Though, I did find out... installing the additional oil cooler alone is $2000... plus the cost of the tune. Probably not worth it
Appreciate 0