E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PROcede v2 ready for 4 local beta testers

07-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Talking PROcede v2 ready for 4 local beta testers

Hi guys,
Finally wrapped up in-house beta testing of the new v2 update. Some (not all) new features include:

1) Automatic map-switching back to stock map if boost targets aren't reached (no more limp mode)
2) Auto-learning (real-time, on-the-fly adjustments to fuel/timing/boost based upon calculated intake charge temp, driving conditions, driving style, etc,.)
3) Anti-boost spike logic (No more boost spikes. Not even a little)
4) Dual boost control solenoid control (no more bypassing 1 solenoid)
5) Short-term overboost when conditions allow (like the system in the Porsche 997tt... but cooler)
6) Road speed power output (precursor to launch control and gear-dependant boost control).
7) Wideband o2 sensor input with AFR display (viewable through PROcede software)

As it stands right now, we have developed a 100% plug-in v2 update harness if you want all the features except for #6 and #7. For #6, you will need to extract the road speed signal wire from the ECU harness (like the 4 wires you extracted when you installed the PROcede in the first place). For #7, you will have to feed the linear 0-5v voltage output from you aftermarket wideband o2 sensor (if you have one of course) and feed it into one of the unused analog input channels in the PROcede harness).

If you don't need these two features (as I suspect will apply to most of you guys), the proposed v2 update harness simply plugs in between the PROcede and the PROcede harness and out to a few connectors under the hood). Easily removable. Total installation time once you remove the ECU covers is literally 10-15 seconds.

Right now, I'm just looking for 4 local testers (2 with Steps and 2 with 6MTs) to test features #1-5. This means people who can drive over to see us in Livermore this following week (on a weekday, during business hours). This does not apply to people in southern California who are willing to make the 350 mile drive Just people in the SF bay area. And just 4 (first come, first serve). Here are the prerequisites:

1) You must already have had a PROcede installed for 1 month. This is because we are looking for feedback from current users who are already familiar with the PROcede and its performance.

2) You must be willing to provide us directly with feedback. Both positive and negative (hey, it can happen )

That's pretty much it.

So if you fit the bill and want to try something new, PM me. Please, no phone calls. No email. Just a PM with what days/times you are free next week. The appointment will take about an hour and will be done in either our Union City or Livermore install center. If I don't respond to you immediately, it's probably because I'm swamped Just hang tight.

If these local trials go well, I already have a huge email list of not-so-local beta testers to spam

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

cool!

Questions:
1. Automatic Map Switch ... I am guessing it switches back to tuned when the conditions allow? ... what about a Manual Map Switch?
2. Auto Learning... is there a way to reset it, like reseting the adaptations on your ECU?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

so no one in so cal can beta test?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

shiv,
do you have any new version 2, dyno's you can show us?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Nice!! I look forward to seeing the real world performance improvements. If you need a Beta-tester in FL let me know!!
      07-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

how is the short term overboost activated? automatically?

and that auto learning makes me nervous
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
-2. That should equal it out.

And again, locals only right now. This is because I want to do the install and initial driving test personally.

As for the autolearning making people nervous, it shouldn't. It simply adjusts fuel/timing/boost as a function of how hard and how long you have been driving the car. The more abuse you put on it, the more conservative it makes the tune. We can adjust the rate of this "detune" to be aggressive or mild depending on feedback from beta testers. Under normal driving conditions (not hot lapping on the track), no changes to the tune should be induced. Its only when you start piling on the thermal stresses (like driving sideways for 5 minutes straight at full boost at 5000+rpm on an airport runway in 100+ degree weather) will the tune start to back itself off. Well before the factory ECU shuts things down itself (which is far too late, imho).

And it only autolearns towads the side of conservative, not aggression. So no shit can hit the fan.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
6) Road speed power output (precursor to launch control and gear-dependant boost control).

....and speed limiter defeat?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:

And again, locals only right now.

lol its just that i know the ramifications of having a computer do thing "automatically" one mis placed decimal, one character in the wrong place, a double set to an integer ECT and the shit hits the fan, i dont want the shit hitting the fan in my engine
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
lol its just that i know the ramifications of having a computer do thing "automatically" one mis placed decimal, one character in the wrong place, a double set to an integer ECT and the shit hits the fan, i dont want the shit hitting the fan in my engine
shiv wont shit on your fan... dont worry
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
....and speed limiter defeat?
Yes, it can obviously do that as well. But due to liability concerns, we're not going to officially offer or support that feature. However, I suspect it will only be a matter of time before someone posts up directions on how to do that. It wont be us though.

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:

And again, locals only right now. This is because I want to do the install and initial driving test personally.

As for the autolearning making people nervous, it shouldn't. It simply adjusts fuel/timing/boost as a function of how hard and how long you have been driving the car. The more abuse you put on it, the more conservative it makes the tune. We can adjust the rate of this "detune" to be aggressive or mild depending on feedback from beta testers. Under normal driving conditions (not hot lapping on the track), no changes to the tune should be induced. Its only when you start piling on the thermal stresses (like driving sideways for 5 minutes straight at full boost at 5000+rpm on an airport runway in 100+ degree weather) will the tune start to back itself off. Well before the factory ECU shuts things down itself (which is far too late, imho).

And it only autolearns towads the side of conservative, not aggression. So no shit can hit the fan.

Shiv
Shiv, does this mean that, for example, if you drag race your car 10 times in a row, your last couple of runs will be slower, due to the system backing itself off? or only in realy extreme conditions, like the ones you mentioned above?
      07-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Nice.
Charlie would need one v2. Please.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
Shiv, does this mean that, for example, if you drag race your car 10 times in a row, your last couple of runs will be slower, due to the system backing itself off? or only in realy extreme conditions, like the ones you mentioned above?
Drag racing isn't stressful because there is more wait time between runs (even when there is no wait line) than there is run time. So no, it will not apply to drag racing. Or anything else 90% of users can induce 90% of the time. It's simply there as a failsafe under very harsh conditions (like driving on a real race track, lap after lap under hot conditions). The same kind of conditions that could cause oil temps to escalate out of control.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #15
RiXst3r
Rep

Questions:
1. Automatic Map Switch instead of limp mode ... I am guessing it switches back to tuned when the conditions allow? ... what about a Manual Map Switch?
2. Auto Learning... is there a way to reset it, like reseting the adaptations on your ECU? Like if you let your car sit for 10 minutes between drag runs, but yet it would be detuned from running hot before, and not start out with the same tune... does it go back to normal "aggression" as the engine cools?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #16
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

Shiv,
You probably need some more beta-testers at sea level...maybe in Florida...I'm HERE! Anything I can do to get my hands on V2 a little sooner...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #17
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Drag racing isn't stressful because there is more wait time between runs (even when there is no wait line) than there is run time. So no, it will not apply to drag racing. Or anything else 90% of users can induce 90% of the time. It's simply there as a failsafe under very harsh conditions (like driving on a real race track, lap after lap under hot conditions). The same kind of conditions that could cause oil temps to escalate out of control.

shiv
I understand now. Thanks.
      07-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #18
MBMWTECH
BMW TECH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328I SEDAN - 2008 BMW 750

New features sound cool, I know you said local only for now - but shiv
keep me in mind for the future --- I can provide extra feed back if any problems should appear. having full access to dealer testing equipment.

Im in N.J.
335 sedan Auto
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #19
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
Shiv,
You probably need some more beta-testers at sea level...maybe in Florida...I'm HERE! Anything I can do to get my hands on V2 a little sooner...
yea beta testing at sea level in humid conditions is essential...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #20
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Sounds great, Shiv. Looking forward to v2.0. btw -- does v2.0 change the way the PROcede is uninstalled and its "stealth factor?" e.g. So now it's not bypassing 1 solenoid (so it looks stock, right?), which is better for stealthy non-detection, but what about the ground wire...is it still located outside the ecu cover? Thanks for the clarification.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #21
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

shiv
Yuuuuup - been there, done that (lap after lap on a hoooot day).

Yup - the car backs off on power and oil temps go a little stratospheric.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #22
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Sounds great, Shiv. Looking forward to v2.0. btw -- does v2.0 change the way the PROcede is uninstalled and its "stealth factor?" e.g. So now it's not bypassing 1 solenoid (so it look stock?), which is better for stealthy non-detection, but what about the ground wire...is it still located outside the ecu cover? Thanks for the clarification.
Relocating the ground wire is something you can do right now. The vehicle is negatively ground.

Find a bolt that screws into the frame and attach the ground wire there. Hint: There is one inside the ECU box.
Appreciate 0