E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Traction Control Issues

04-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
e92revolution
Rep
Drives: 08' 335xi

Garage List
2008 335Xi  [0.00]
Traction Control Issues

Hey all.

The Issue: Traction Control Light flashing (and I'm assuming engaging) under heavy throttle. It appears to cut power briefly. The tires are in no way breaking loose and it happens with the DSC button both engaged and disengaged.

I make a decent amount of power (450ish depending on the dyno) and have close to, if not every bushing replaced with either spherical bearings or poly. Coilovers, yada, yada, yada. You get the idea.

Disclaimer: Now my car is not without problems and currently my forward drive shaft if not in the car due to a vibration either coming from the Tcase or the forward dif. I'm fairly positive this is completely unrelated as I did this in my an older xi with zero problems.

I've done a ton of research and have yielded nothing concrete to eliminate potential causes for this. So far my list is as follows:

Poor alignment (My front tow is slight jacked up both tires are slightly out, however my alignment was F-d up before this issue started)
DSC ABS Module
Speed Sensors
Level Sensor
Failing Rear Dif

Has anyone experienced this? Any trouble shooting suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
2008 335xi /// MMP inlets / BMS CP w/ tial BOV / Big Tom IC / BMS Meth Injection / BMS DP's / RSD Valvetronic exhaust / Walbro E85 Pump / Dual Setrab Oil Coolers / AD thermostat / Blackforest Motor Mounts / Syncro Design works Control and traction arms / Full M3 rear end swap / complete powerflex bushing upgrade. /// 155k miles and daily driven -496awhp-
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
david in germany
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 118i

What tires are you running? I had the same issues the first winter we had my wife's 11 e90 328i. Turned out that the Conti winter contacts I was running were too soft. It really was a big issue, no hard exceleration and even if I tried to bump up the cruise control another 5mph it would cut power. Once I swapped the tires out we had no more issues. This can happen with any tire with too soft side walls.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
e92revolution
Rep

Garage List
2008 335Xi  [0.00]
I run Toyo R888's that have about 90% tread wear.
2008 335xi /// MMP inlets / BMS CP w/ tial BOV / Big Tom IC / BMS Meth Injection / BMS DP's / RSD Valvetronic exhaust / Walbro E85 Pump / Dual Setrab Oil Coolers / AD thermostat / Blackforest Motor Mounts / Syncro Design works Control and traction arms / Full M3 rear end swap / complete powerflex bushing upgrade. /// 155k miles and daily driven -496awhp-
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
david in germany
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 118i

Toyos could have a soft sidewall. Do you have another set to try?

Just googled, there seem to be complaints about them being soft. Statements are they seem to be a good drag tire but not a stiff enough tire for road courses. They may very well be your issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

I have the same issue. DCS light flashing easily.

How are your throttle tables setup ?
      04-03-2016, 03:20 AM   #6
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e91 Alpine

You may want to check the ABS tone rings and make sure they, and the ABS sensors for both the front and the rear wheels are clean. If you have a tone ring out of whack it can also cause problems.

Most cases I see this kind of behavior the ABS sensors are covered with tons of crap.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 05:05 AM   #7
e92revolution
Rep

Garage List
2008 335Xi  [0.00]
Interesting... When I get home from work today I'll take a look.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Input from the wheel speed sensors is critical for the DSC to function properly. I'll bet this is the issue if deformation of the tyres isn't at fault. You can test the tyre theory by over inflating them to 42/46 and see is the issue gets any better. The extra pressure should stiffen the carcass of the tyre.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:50 AM   #9
gqbriel
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Msport

I dont know for you guys I am running on almost brand new setup Dunlop Sport Maxx RT non RFT I cant make the DSC flash unless i really i mean really push hard on a corner...never in straight line so far for the past 30 000miles...and the roads here are far away from perfect..
I guess really worn tyres..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I'm running Dunlop ZII Direzza's, the Star Spec, and they are stunning in the summer months. I can't make them chirp unless I'm committing a felony.

Never had the DSC activate in the dry once. I intentionally turn it off some times in the wet just to play.

The Falken's the car came with are garbage.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #11
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

e92rev, what ever happened here?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
e92revolution
Rep

Garage List
2008 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
e92rev, what ever happened here?
I just had an opportunity to get to the bottom of this. As it turns out both speed sensors on the front axles were filthy. Cleaned them up and it totally resolved the issue.

Thanks for all the input guys. I wouldn't have figured it out with out it!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #13
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

That's exactly what I suspected. Good job man, glad this helped.

Hopefully the search works and it'll help someone else out!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #14
e92revolution
Rep

Garage List
2008 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
That's exactly what I suspected. Good job man, glad this helped.

Hopefully the search works and it'll help someone else out!
I figured I would hit you back up for any more suggestions. Shortly after I replied to you last time the issue start right back up. Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #15
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Did you clean the tone rings as well? If the sensor was dirty, they are as well.

Check all the connections on the plugs for the sensors as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #16
ucdbiendog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 4dr

Quote:
Did you clean the tone rings as well? If the sensor was dirty, they are as well.

Check all the connections on the plugs for the sensors as well.
How does one clean the tone ring? isn't it buried inside the hub? would compressed air do the trick? I will probably be looking into this to try to resolve my DSC issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #17
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdbiendog View Post
How does one clean the tone ring? isn't it buried inside the hub? would compressed air do the trick? I will probably be looking into this to try to resolve my DSC issues.
I rotate the hub and spray it with brake cleaner and then blow it all off with compressed air. There's often a ton of crap in there. One good way to start the process is to soak it down first in a mixture of dawn dishwashing detergent and steaming hot water. That will break up the grime and grease quite a bit. Then hit it with brake cleaner. Alternately you can use a spray tip to squirt foamy engine degreaser into the hole as you rotate the hub. Wear eye protection.

Dawn will take the wax off paint, so if your car has been detailed, keep it off the paint.

While the sensor is out scrub it real will with a sponge of super soapy water. Can't hurt. Don't forget to clean all the contacts with contact cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #18
ucdbiendog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 4dr

Quote:
I rotate the hub and spray it with brake cleaner and then blow it all off with compressed air. There's often a ton of crap in there. One good way to start the process is to soak it down first in a mixture of dawn dishwashing detergent and steaming hot water. That will break up the grime and grease quite a bit. Then hit it with brake cleaner. Alternately you can use a spray tip to squirt foamy engine degreaser into the hole as you rotate the hub. Wear eye protection.

Dawn will take the wax off paint, so if your car has been detailed, keep it off the paint.

While the sensor is out scrub it real will with a sponge of super soapy water. Can't hurt. Don't forget to clean all the contacts with contact cleaner.
thanks. any danger in spraying brake cleaner into the tone ring? will it get into the bearing and dissolve the grease or anything?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #19
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdbiendog View Post
thanks. any danger in spraying brake cleaner into the tone ring? will it get into the bearing and dissolve the grease or anything?
No, the tone ring is just a perforated metal ring on the shaft assembly. It has not electronic or mechanical bits whatsoever.. you're just cleaning metal.

The CV joints are covered with boots that should have nice tight metal Oetiker clamps on them. So no worries there either. Just a real treat of a job as it gets wet and messy
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #20
VTMotors
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

I need some help with the system in my car.
If theres a knowledgeable patron that could pm me, id love to tell you about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #21
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

OP:

I just re-read your original post and I just noticed you mentioned "Now my car is not without problems and currently my forward drive shaft if not in the car due to a vibration either coming from the Tcase or the forward dif."

Now, you do realize that the tone rings that provide wheel speed information to those sensors are actually on the drive shafts, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:41 AM   #22
PhaseP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325XI

The speed sensor works as magnetic (inductive sensor) pick up, so if the dirt is not metallic, like iron shavings, piece of iron stuck in there, just simple dirt won't have any effect. The "tone ring" is a metallic ring with repeating high and low spots cut into it. It revolves in front of the speed sensor as the wheel turns. The high to low spot change on the sensor causes magnetic property of the sensor to change and so causes pulses generated on it, in proportion to the speed of the wheel.

Quote:
The Issue: Traction Control Light flashing (and I'm assuming engaging) under heavy throttle.
Disclaimer: Now my car is not without problems and currently my forward drive shaft if not in the car due to a vibration either coming from the Tcase or the forward dif. I'm fairly positive this is completely unrelated as I did this in my an older xi with zero problems
Your x-drive system is mechanically disabled and you are wondering why on heavy throttle you get traction control light flashing?
Appreciate 0