E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Reql time help - Ses ligh and overheating

06-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
djsolution
Private

Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Reql time help - Ses ligh and overheating

Im on a 4 hour trip from Raleigh to Washington dc with my daughter and just had an overheating experience. First off, the SES light and ebrake light came on yeterday afternoon. Thought it was just a maintenance reminder and ignored it. So today after about 45 minutes on the highway I get the yellow coolant temp warning which gave way to the red warning about 10 seconds later. I pulled over immediately and cut the engine. After it cooled down I checked the coolant and the reservoir was almost empty! I limped down the road and added coolant and drove another 15 miles or so down the highway to find some lunch for the kiddo. So my dilemma is... Is it safe to continue another 3 hours home? If the SES light is for the thermostat will that change the situation? I've read it fails open so I should at least be able to make it home right? Just for info, coolant was flushed about 10k miles ago and there are no noticeable leaks.
      06-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg

Drives: E90 325i

SES light will only come on for emission related issues. Get to a place that can scan the ecu for generic codes (SES is usually associated with a generic code). A lot of places will do it for free. You normally won't get a warning light for water pump or t-stat malfunctions. You'll get an error code stored, but you can only see if you get it scanned by a BMW specific scanner.

I just want to clarify what you're seeing. SES is for "service engine soon" which is spelled out on the dash. The "BRAKE" light in red means your had brake is engaged but if it's not, it should be accompanied by a picture of a car on a lift. If it's red the brake sensor has been triggered. If it's yellow they're close to being worn out. Also, the the yellow "BRAKE" warning flowed by a brake icon with an exclamation mark in the middle means brake malfunction.

An SES light may or may not be related to the overheating. That's why you need it scanned. It could be a dead water pump which is very common on all e90s and especially problematic on the 2006 MY. They have since been updated.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
e90pilot is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
djsolution
Private

Sorry it wasnt the Ses light it was the car on a lift. Just replaced brakes about 1000 miles ago. S made it another half hour and temp ligh came on again I'm thinking it must be the water pump
      06-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Bluesun
sudo su -

Drives: E92 335i 6MT, GSXR1000K5

For what it's worth, what you are describing (yellow temp, then red combined with severely reduced power) happened to me sometime late last year. It turned out to be a dead water pump, which was replaced under warranty. Had it not been under warranty, it was ridiculously expensive .
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
e90pilot
Freight Dawg

I would reccomend getting it towed. Overheating your engine is ALL bad even running it on the yellow warning light can cause serious damage.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
djsolution
Private

Yeah just had it towed to the nearest town. Unfortunately the only decent shop is a Firestone complete care. The closest dealer or independent shop is in richmond, aka a $500 tow away. I'm going to give it a go at the Firestone joint. The tech won't be in till tomorrow to diagnose.
      06-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
djsolution
Private

Btw I tried the cooling system venting Procedure while waiting for the tow truck. I never heard the pump kick on so I assumed the pump had failed. Now that I'm thinking about it could it just be a blown fuse?
      06-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
e90pilot
Freight Dawg

Usually not the case. If you're on the original pump, they had really cheesy electronics that would fry under heat. Seems logical: put something heat sensitive in a device that pumps coolant (hot) through an internal combustion engine (also hot) in an engine bay (again hot). Perfect!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
djsolution
Private

Haha yeah sounds like a recipe for success. So what do you all think my chances of getting an oem water pump at a firestone shop?
      06-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
e90pilot
Freight Dawg

They usually have a wholesale deal with the local dealership. Not sure how they can scan it though unless they have a GT1 or Autologic device.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
djsolution
Private

Well parts are on their way from Raleigh BMW right now. It's going to be about $1600 for parts and labor. Firestone has a giant markup on parts which I was able to negotiate down a little bit but holy crap. If I had my tools with me I would have bought the parts and tackled this job in their parking lot. Oh well.

E90pilot, for what it's worth thanks for the help on this
      06-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
djsolution
Private

So just a quick update. The shop got the parts from BMW (they even got BMW coolant!) and finished the job Friday morning. The tech was very competent and even gave me the remainder of the BMW coolant. In short, if you're ever stranded near Roanoke rapids north Carolina fear not! Firestone complete care can take care of you. Final cost was $1300, including military discount. On a tech note, the idle is a little rougher than before the overheat. Theres no abnormal noise when standing over the engine bay, but when sitting in the car i can feel a little more vibration than before. Could it be from the battery being disconnected and the computer needing to readjust or is there a more serious issue?