E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ABS, DBC malfunction warnings

06-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
ACEE
Average Car Exceeding Expectations (ACEE)

Drives: 2007 335i e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [3.50]
Ok....so the car has been good....today I get in it: 1) it hesitates to start, after starting 2) it gives me a DBC malfunction warning...3) it seemed as if my display on my dash was reset as if the battery was unplugged. So I cut the car off and started it again, thinking it was fluke. Well it did it again....1) hesitated pretty bad, 2) gave me a ABS malfunction 3) it seemed as if my display on my dash was reset as if the battery was unplugged. I let it run for a while then check control and service from the menu, and there was no warning or anything. So I started again, it hesitated but no warning. About 30 mins later I parked at walmart, when I got back 1) it hesitated, 2) gave me a below freezing warning, and DBC warning but this time 3) dash display stayed that same. After I made it to my destination, I started it 3 times in a row and it 1) hesitated, 2) gave me an ABS Malfunction warning 3) dash stayed the same. Can anyone help???

Only thing I could think of for hesitation is I need to change spark plugs...last time I went to dealer for my last oil change they said the system was saying it was almost time for plugs and air filter to be changed. It kinda starts like a car with a bad or died battery...maybe that??? But wouldn't I get a battery warning??? Besides that I don't know anything else. I have ALMOST 60K miles. And according to my car it is time for normal service. Please don't say take it to service, I'm out of warranty and trying to avoid going to the dealer.

Last edited by ACEE; 06-23-2012 at 10:10 PM.
ACEE is offline   United_States
      06-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
JamesM3M5
Some dude

Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i

Going to have to go to a shop to get checked for codes or scan yourself with a BT tool. What is a DBC error?
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is offline   United_States
      06-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
ACEE

Garage List
2007 e92  [3.50]
DBC = Dynamic Braking Control
MSport front// CPS Front lip// M3 Side Skirts// Custom M3 (non wide body) rear bumper// VRS Type 1 Rear Diffuser// ACS style roof spoiler// AC Schnitzer Pedals// VRSF FMIC// Simota CF Intake// Magnaflow Axle Back// AccuAir/UAS airbags// 20" Vossen CV5 // Vredestein Tires// Custom sound sytem // BUY MY VOLKS
      06-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
tres
Major

Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

I had those same lights once but the car ran fine it turned out to be the steering angle sensor
Member #431510
oem perf cf spoiler and front lip/m3strut brace/m3 subframe bushings/wavetrac lsd/ TMS solid diff bushings/MR adjustable toe arms/MR adjustable upper link/full m3 suspension/ecs tuning ss brake lines/GC coilovers./CPE dci's,catless dp,intercooler,charge pipe bov/BMS OCC/tuningtechfs tuned/RB pcv valve/defiv diff lockdownkit
tres is offline   United_States
      06-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
ACEE

Garage List
2007 e92  [3.50]
I've been reading, and thats what it looks like...your remember about how much it cost to get fixed?? Did you have a hesitation when you first tried to start it?
MSport front// CPS Front lip// M3 Side Skirts// Custom M3 (non wide body) rear bumper// VRS Type 1 Rear Diffuser// ACS style roof spoiler// AC Schnitzer Pedals// VRSF FMIC// Simota CF Intake// Magnaflow Axle Back// AccuAir/UAS airbags// 20" Vossen CV5 // Vredestein Tires// Custom sound sytem // BUY MY VOLKS
      06-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
ACEE

Garage List
2007 e92  [3.50]
so...I just go a "Start up assistance" warning now....so it sounds like a SAS (steering angle sensor) we shall see
      06-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Jon335iFL
Brigadier General

Drives: This----------->

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres View Post
I had those same lights once but the car ran fine it turned out to be the steering angle sensor
+1 me to.

Go to service OP

06-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
JamesM3M5
Some dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEE View Post
Ah, I'm having a "duh" moment here. Thanks.
      06-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
ACEE

Garage List
2007 e92  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Ah, I'm having a "duh" moment here. Thanks.
I didn't know what i meant either...and neither did a few guys I asked...I looked it up.

So I took it to the shop and they said so far its the battery. Battery was only holding 10 volts and 8 volts under a load. So hopefully thats all.
      06-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
JamesM3M5
Some dude

No battery warning in the instrument cluster? I sat engine off radio on for 5 minutes and got a battery indicator on the dash. Sure enough, it was original.

There is the IBS - intelligent battery sensor - that one of the body modules uses to monitor battery charge and usage. The ECU also logs battery replacement so it can use a more aggressive charge profile on old batteries. You must register battery replacement or the aggressive charge profile for an old battery can overcharge and quickly ruin (3-6 months) a new battery from overcharging.

Sometimes the IBS goes bad, too. I don't know what fault codes are teh telltale, though. The IBS is part of the battery ground cable, about $150.
      06-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
ACEE

Garage List
2007 e92  [3.50]
yes thats that the shop said they had to do the CIP or something for the new battery to let the ECU know it was a new battery.
      06-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
JamesM3M5
Some dude

Quote:
yes thats that the shop said they had to do the CIP or something for the new battery to let the ECU know it was a new battery.
Sounds like you have a good shop.
      06-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
ACEE

Garage List
2007 e92  [3.50]
ok so the shop changed the battery and I drove it today...and well everything looks like its going to be ok. Idk if this is good but he said I have a 900?? battery in there, but they put a 1000?? battery in it...but coded it for a 900?? battery so I would never push the battery to the max....
      06-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
boostaholic786
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 JB4 G5 ISO RB's FBO+40%E85

Personally, I would get what ever the dealer calls for the battery. I dont know what 1000 and the 900 means but just sounds kinda awkward... but then again, Im not a battery expert either. If I was you I would put an OEM battery from the BMW house.... just my 2cents
A/W E92 335i M-sport with JB4 G5 ISO/ E40 WEDGE PERFORMANCE BACKEND FLASH, Alpina TCU flash for AT/Switch-tronic +AR Downpipes, Stett gen 1 intake, Wagner-Tuning FMIC+RB Turbo setup/ RB PCV Valve+ Akro exhaust+60% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW coilovers, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@119mph on street tires) NO METH!
      06-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
ACEE

Garage List
2007 e92  [3.50]
well they said it was a more then comparable battery. And this shop have been in business many years with a great reputation, I personally know the tech that works there, so I trust he knows what he is doing since he has worked on previous vehicle of mine with good results. I was told a battery is a battery as long as it is coded correctly so the vehicle knows that it is a NEW battery.
      01-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
rkmm3
Private

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E90

I had this problem and it was fixed after i cleaned the wheel speed sensors on the left side of my car front and back with water and a lil soap.

the lights went away after i started rolling forward about ~8.5948 feet

I didnt have to lift the car just turned the wheel and for the back got up underneath it.

allen key to do remove them.

I have an E90 335i 2008

this was useful:

See item 7 below for front:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=31&fg=10

See item 20 below for rear:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...30&hg=33&fg=3
      01-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
klipseracer
Banned

Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to klipseracer
Had the same problem. It was the battery. DBC, DSC, etc errors. Finicky battery produces very weird but partially operating vehicle symptoms. DBC/DSC is affected by the steering wheel sensor because if the car doesn't know which way the wheels are pointed, the stability controls aren't accurate. But when it comes to flickering Christmas tree HUD etc, usually battery related. In my case, the pyrotechnic charge on the battery was blown from an accident but it still made a connection sometimes so it worked fine for a long time then stopped working all the time, just depending on if the battery had wiggled a little.
klipseracer is offline   United_States
      05-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #18
e92stance
Banned

Drives: e92 LCI 335 msport

Quote:
Had dbc, dsc and start-off assistance lights on after a DME update on my e92 335 lci msport 6mt. Just brought it to dealer today, weird though. Light went off and haven't had it for a day but either way I was concerned. Happened at about 60mph while coasting literally.
e92stance is offline   United_States
      05-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #19
kirkhayes
Registered

Drives: 2008 335i E90

Bad Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
Had the same problem. It was the battery. DBC, DSC, etc errors. Finicky battery produces very weird but partially operating vehicle symptoms. DBC/DSC is affected by the steering wheel sensor because if the car doesn't know which way the wheels are pointed, the stability controls aren't accurate. But when it comes to flickering Christmas tree HUD etc, usually battery related. In my case, the pyrotechnic charge on the battery was blown from an accident but it still made a connection sometimes so it worked fine for a long time then stopped working all the time, just depending on if the battery had wiggled a little.
I had this problem start 2 days ago and it progressively got worse, to the point that the last several times I started my car, it took forever to start, threw all the errors, and essentially placed the car in 2nd gear no matter what I did.

At first I was thinking it might be the steering sensor after reading all the posts, but then I realized that I got multiple warnings starting with the DBC Malfunction, then followed by DSC. I figured it must be weak battery and I did like several of the other posters did. I went to O'Rielly's and purchased a new battery. 20 minutes later and now my car is fine. Let's see if this holds up.
      05-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #20
scottp999
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkhayes View Post
I had this problem start 2 days ago and it progressively got worse, to the point that the last several times I started my car, it took forever to start, threw all the errors, and essentially placed the car in 2nd gear no matter what I did.

At first I was thinking it might be the steering sensor after reading all the posts, but then I realized that I got multiple warnings starting with the DBC Malfunction, then followed by DSC. I figured it must be weak battery and I did like several of the other posters did. I went to O'Rielly's and purchased a new battery. 20 minutes later and now my car is fine. Let's see if this holds up.
Good. Yes, those are all symptoms of a battery issue. I made a few posts 3+ years ago about all the crazy things that were happening when I was using a marginal light weight battery. All went away when I went back to the original battery.

I just replaced the original with a new factory battery a couple of months ago. Everyone with a 2007-08 should think about proactively getting a new battery at this point.
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
      06-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #21
jbnery6465
Private

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I've experienced a similar issue today except I didn't get the "ABS" error so I don't think it was a full DSC failure, but this is what I got:
- Active Steering Defective
- Drive Off Assistant Failure
- Suspension Control System Failure
- TPMS Failure
The warning lights are gone when restart the car but will turn on after several minutes of driving. However this afternoon in addition to the above warning lamps coming on, the following 2 things start happening:
- The radio would power off and on sporadically
- Around the same time, the RPM needle would drop to 0 and the "ABS" warning lamp/red "Brake" light would flash on. As soon as the radio came back on, the "ABS" lamp was gone and the "Brake" light went back to orange.

I'll be pulling codes in the morning, but does this seem more like a 'battery' issue?