E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help with fault codes

02-22-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
wrongmark
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 320i M Sport

Help with fault codes

Not sure if this is the right place but done a lot of searching and can't find much.

2011 E90 LCI 320i with N43 65k miles. BMW service history apart from full service done recently by me with OEM parts (about 4 months ago).

The EML came on a few days ago, I read the fault codes with Carly BMW on my iPhone and got the following:

0030EA DeNOx catalyst sulfuric (had this one a while now and increased fuel consumption which I think is related from what I have read - I bought a second hand NOx sensor from ebay which I have yet to fit)

The following are all new faults which I believe are what have triggered the EML:
002C2D Lambda probe before catalyst thrust test
002C7F AfterCat O2 sensor trim control, bank 2
002C6C O2 AfterCar sensor system check, bank 2
002C3D Message failed
002C7E AfterCat O2 sensor trim control, bank 1

My question is, could the new fault codes be related to the NOx catalyst code? I understand that if the NOx sensor is faulty it can cause the engine to run rich?

Any ideas, or advice much appreciated although I expect I'll have to book this in to a local independent garage that I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
TheAxiom
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92 6 Speed

It's worth a shot. How much is the sensor?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
wrongmark
United Kingdom
Rep

From BMW I'm pretty sure it's north of 300. I got one off eBay used for 160. Just tried to fit it this evening and I can barely get to it even with the car on some ramps I just borrowed from my neighbour (M-sport suspension). I'll hopefully take it to someone for fitting.

Last edited by wrongmark; 02-22-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
wrongmark
United Kingdom
Rep

Just for anyone reading this thread later down the line. I took the car to a local garage that I know are good at diagnosing problems (rather than just randomly replacing expensive parts).

I got the car back today and after a 15 mile drive all seems good. 34mpg mixed town and motorway driving (as opposed to 20-25mpg over last few months).

They replaced both O2 sensors (330 incl diagnosing the problem ).

Apparently the NOx catalyst was "poisoned" (their words). They did an "EDT" clean (they apparently run a machine attached to the engine in place of the oil filter and sump plug, then add new oil and filter) then a Terraclean (machine attached to fuel system to run engine on a special mixture). Presumably the latter cleaned out the NOx catalyst. These two treatments cost 250

Having tried lots of oil/fuel additives in the past, I'm skeptical as to whether these actually do anything significant. I've no doubt that the O2 sensors cured the fuel consumption issues. However, it would seem that the fault code for the NOx catalyst (0030EA DeNOx catalyst sulfuric) has not come back yet (I checked it with my reader after the drive to work). Before it would come back more or less straight away after clearing it and running the engine.

My "Butt Dyno", however, hasn't registered any increases in performance or anything.

Anyway sorry for the long post, but hopefully it might be of use to someone. I'll report back if it all goes horribly wrong.

Last edited by wrongmark; 03-02-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Engine noise hasn't changed (I was taking rubbish)
Appreciate 0