E90Post
 


E92 Lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Leather seats care



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
Brent
Private
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Inland Empire, CA / So Cal

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

Leather seats care

I have the "Dakota Leather" seats in black. I bought my 328i used. It is a 2008 that only had 16,700 miles on it when I got it two months ago. One thing I noticed is that the leather seats, though looking pristine, are quite dry. I tried the Zymol product, but am unimpressed. The conditioner does not make the leather any softer, at least after a couple of days have passed. I got some of the Zaino Brothers stuff, but it is about the same - plus they screw you on the shipping. I have heard of a product from Leatherique that looks like it might be better. Has anyone tried the Leatherique conditioner? What I want is something that will add some moisture back into the leather. It is too dry, and I am certain that it will not age well unless it is made a bit more flexible.

The info from Leatehrique says:
Quote:
REJUVINATOR - Known world wide for its ability to soften even cardboard hard leather. It is a complex blend of animal proteins, collagens, with absolutely no oil fillers of any kind. Totally unlike all other leather products, it will not stain or discolor leather. It is perfectly safe for equestrian use! Simply spray or wipe onto the surface and massage into the leather with your hands. Allow for it be absorbed into the fibers. Rejuvenator has a unique capillary action which forces proteins into the leather and dirt out! Repeated use will keep leather in tip top shape. Use to condition and preserve all your leather cars, saddles, tack, furniture, motorcycle leather and even apparel. Prestine Clean is the perfect cleaner to use after each application of Rejuvenator to remove the displaced impurities on the surface of the leather.

1 GAL. REJUVINATOR OIL $159.00

16oz REJUVINATOR OIL $25.99

32oz REJUVINATOR OIL $42.99

PRESTINE CLEAN - Absolutely the best cleaner available for all fine leather. Does not contain any harsh chemicals to dry and destroy fine leathers. Contains a conditioner which cleans and conditions leather, but to a lesser extent than our Rejuvinator . Use to clean leather after the application of Rejuvinator. has done its job and as a maintenance cleaner and detailer on an as needed basis. This product is also an excellent cleaner and conditioner for vinyl and rubber. Use Prestine Clean every time you wash your car.

1 GALLON PRESTINE CLEAN $109.00

16oz PRESTINE CLEAN $16.99

32oz PRESTINE CLEAN $25.99
Expensive, but well worth it if it works. For soft leather (like a leather jacket) I have always used a mink oil based product with good results, but that will be too messy for an automobile interior. Any ideas to give me a softer, more lubricated feel, while preventing cracking and hardening from age?
Brent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

I use LEXOL cleaner and conditioner..it works great and not expensive at all.
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
 
TOGWT's Avatar
 
Drives: 630i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL / London, UK

Posts: 767
iTrader: (0)

King Ranch (Ford F-Series) leather and other (Milano, Silk Nappa, Valcona (Audi) Boston, Baseball, Dakota, Montana, (BMW) Chaparral, are examples of aniline dyed leather. Aniline dyed leather can be renovated with a pigmentation coating (unprotected Aniline is rarely used for automobile upholstery). Transparent, not even milky or translucent; added to an opaque medium, the opacity remains, although some colour is added, and the net gray-equivalent brightness is always reduced, because a dye can only absorb light.

Generally speaking aniline style leathers come in very earthy natural colours, which has been aniline dyed or stained, which may incorporate a small quantity of pigment (a thin clear sealant that provides a uniform colour and affords some protection) but not so much as to conceal the natural characteristics or feel of the hide. Other colours (i.e. gray, black, etc) have a pigmentation coating added.

This leather is also used for perforated finished leather. A full aniline immersion dye is one method of tanning to achieve a desired, natural looking hide or leather. Because the finish is transparent and shows the natural markings of the leather, only top quality hides can be used. The aqueous (water- based) pigmentation allows for evaporation and replacement of moisture (hydration) staying cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Aniline leather is absorbent, which means that any spills, body oils etc will soak into the leather hide. Use specific aniline leather cleaner that that will clean the surface of the leather, without being absorbed, or force the soil into the leather. A foam type cleaner ( is ideal for this type of leather.

Identifying characteristics - generally speaking aniline style leathers come in very earthy natural colours, and is coloured all the way through with a transparent dye. It is absorbent and has a random shade colours and grain pattern, lightly scratch the surface to see if it reveals a lighter colour.

The water-drop absorbency test- water drops will permeate the surface and darken its colour (temporarily)

Absorbency rate – High

Aniline leather is absorbent, which means that any spills, body oils etc will soak into the leather hide. It should be routinely cleaned to remove light dirt and dust by using specific aniline leather cleaner that that will clean the surface of the leather, without being absorbed, or force the soil into the leather. A foam type cleaner (Leather Master™ Foam Cleaner) is ideal for this type of leather along with. Leather Master™ Soft Touch (ex Vital) and allow to dry for approx 20 minutes, finally using a clean dry 100% cotton micro fibre towel buff to a matte sheen.

In addition to regular cleaning to remove abrasive debris and oils, leather requires regular replacement of its moisture (re-hydration) by regular use of a damp 100% cotton micro fibre towel

Aniline leather is moisture sensitive, so avoid the use of liquid, oil-based or wax-based products as they may negatively affect the evaporation and hydration moisture balance. Aqueous (water- based) products will help to hydrate the leather and maintain necessary moisture (Leather Master™ Soft Touch (ex Vital). The oils secreted from your skin are slightly acidic and may cause the Aniline leathers pigmentation to lose its colour prematurely, taking away the effect of a premium leather interior. Removing these oils is paramount to leather care, but limiting the amount of bare skin you expose to your seats and interior is a great way to prevent discoloration.
TOGWT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Bobble
Major
 
Bobble's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i/RIP E46 323Ci
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,215
iTrader: (1)

Where are you in the IE? I work in Chino and can give you a small amount of each to try before you buy. IMO it is one of the the better products and does not give that shiny or squeaky attribute to leather. I have some CG leather conditioner as well if you'd like to try that on one seat. Let me know and we'll work something out to meet up. You'll need to supply the bottles though @ 2 oz or larger will work.
__________________
08 E90 335i Monaco Blue Gray Dakota ZPP ZSP Heated Seats CA Step w/Paddles iPod
Bobble is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
335hype
Private First Class
 
335hype's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: bay area

Posts: 150
iTrader: (2)

fwiw, i recently purchased the oem bmw leather conditioning kit and am very impressed. my seats felt dry as well - recently purchased 07 cpo - and this kit added a nice look and texture. its a one step cleaner/conditioner, really easy to apply, and dries to a nice matte black finish, no armor-all type shine. i actually inflated my seat bolsters a little more the next day, because the leather was so smooth... i have heard that the kit is repackaged lexol, can't confirm but for $20 it's not a big deal
__________________
335i | coupe | 6mt | premium | sport | brushed aluminum | space gray
335hype is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Detailed Image's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 3,480
iTrader: (5)

I think the Leatherique products are going to help but it's not going to completely change the leather. So yes I think it's the right product for the job but make sure you have realistic expectations for what it can do. Today is the last day of our 10% off and $4/sh sale if you use the coupon code July4Ship and spend over $50 if interested. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #7
Brent
Private
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Inland Empire, CA / So Cal

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Where are you in the IE? I work in Chino and can give you a small amount of each to try before you buy. IMO it is one of the the better products and does not give that shiny or squeaky attribute to leather. I have some CG leather conditioner as well if you'd like to try that on one seat. Let me know and we'll work something out to meet up. You'll need to supply the bottles though @ 2 oz or larger will work.
Bobble, I live in the Alta Loma section of Rancho Cucamonga. Thank you for your very generous offer!

I work some pretty long hours Monday through Friday, but generally have some free time on the weekends, What is your schedule like? It would be cool to meet up. I'd love to check out your BMW, and show off mine a bit.
Brent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #8
Brent
Private
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Inland Empire, CA / So Cal

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
King Ranch (Ford F-Series) leather and other (Milano, Silk Nappa, Valcona (Audi) Boston, Baseball, Dakota, Montana, (BMW) Chaparral, are examples of aniline dyed leather. Aniline dyed leather can be renovated with a pigmentation coating (unprotected Aniline is rarely used for automobile upholstery). Transparent, not even milky or translucent; added to an opaque medium, the opacity remains, although some colour is added, and the net gray-equivalent brightness is always reduced, because a dye can only absorb light.

Generally speaking aniline style leathers come in very earthy natural colours, which has been aniline dyed or stained, which may incorporate a small quantity of pigment (a thin clear sealant that provides a uniform colour and affords some protection) but not so much as to conceal the natural characteristics or feel of the hide. Other colours (i.e. gray, black, etc) have a pigmentation coating added.

This leather is also used for perforated finished leather. A full aniline immersion dye is one method of tanning to achieve a desired, natural looking hide or leather. Because the finish is transparent and shows the natural markings of the leather, only top quality hides can be used. The aqueous (water- based) pigmentation allows for evaporation and replacement of moisture (hydration) staying cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Aniline leather is absorbent, which means that any spills, body oils etc will soak into the leather hide. Use specific aniline leather cleaner that that will clean the surface of the leather, without being absorbed, or force the soil into the leather. A foam type cleaner ( is ideal for this type of leather.

Identifying characteristics - generally speaking aniline style leathers come in very earthy natural colours, and is coloured all the way through with a transparent dye. It is absorbent and has a random shade colours and grain pattern, lightly scratch the surface to see if it reveals a lighter colour.

The water-drop absorbency test- water drops will permeate the surface and darken its colour (temporarily)

Absorbency rate – High

Aniline leather is absorbent, which means that any spills, body oils etc will soak into the leather hide. It should be routinely cleaned to remove light dirt and dust by using specific aniline leather cleaner that that will clean the surface of the leather, without being absorbed, or force the soil into the leather. A foam type cleaner (Leather Master™ Foam Cleaner) is ideal for this type of leather along with. Leather Master™ Soft Touch (ex Vital) and allow to dry for approx 20 minutes, finally using a clean dry 100% cotton micro fibre towel buff to a matte sheen.

In addition to regular cleaning to remove abrasive debris and oils, leather requires regular replacement of its moisture (re-hydration) by regular use of a damp 100% cotton micro fibre towel

Aniline leather is moisture sensitive, so avoid the use of liquid, oil-based or wax-based products as they may negatively affect the evaporation and hydration moisture balance. Aqueous (water- based) products will help to hydrate the leather and maintain necessary moisture (Leather Master™ Soft Touch (ex Vital). The oils secreted from your skin are slightly acidic and may cause the Aniline leathers pigmentation to lose its colour prematurely, taking away the effect of a premium leather interior. Removing these oils is paramount to leather care, but limiting the amount of bare skin you expose to your seats and interior is a great way to prevent discoloration.
Awesome information! Thank you!
Brent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2011, 04:07 AM   #9
Brent
Private
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Inland Empire, CA / So Cal

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I think the Leatherique products are going to help but it's not going to completely change the leather. So yes I think it's the right product for the job but make sure you have realistic expectations for what it can do. Today is the last day of our 10% off and $4/sh sale if you use the coupon code July4Ship and spend over $50 if interested. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Greg, I just want my leather to feel less dry, and maybe a bit more supple. Hopefully this will extend their life span and keep the seats looking good. Do you think that Leatherique will work better than Zymol and the Zaino Brothers' conditioners?
Brent is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Bobble
Major
 
Bobble's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i/RIP E46 323Ci
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,215
iTrader: (1)

I'm only out that way M-F from 7AM to 5PM. Anytime that works I have some in the car at all times and can give you some of that to try just need a bottle. It's the Pristine clean I keep in the car the Rejuvenator is left at home(basically a clean up kit I carry).
__________________
08 E90 335i Monaco Blue Gray Dakota ZPP ZSP Heated Seats CA Step w/Paddles iPod
Bobble is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
TheSubmariner
Private
 
Drives: 2010 328i Monaco Blue 'vert
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North NJ

Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

Is Lexol acceptable for the Dakota leather type? It has great reviews on Amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/Lexol-1015-Lea...nd+conditioner
TheSubmariner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
Surly73
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario

Posts: 723
iTrader: (0)

TOGWT has already posted a fair bit of info. It's important to note that automotive leathers are almost always going to be urethane coated and sealed. You can put all the fancy-pants leather stuff on them you want and they don't permeate except perhaps near the stitching.

Leatherique is a good system and can deep clean. It's far better than Lexol. Lexol conditioner just sits on top of the urethane and feels sticky - it doesn't go anywhere. You just spend money and maybe feel a little better. If your urethane coating "looks dry", maybe it's just dirt deposited in a certain way to give that appearance, since you aren't really seeing the hide at all.

The most important thing is to keep it clean - dirt and grit will rub off the urethane coating and then you'll start seeing the base colour underneath the top coat and the seats will look like crap. Woolite and water, Lexol cleaner and water, Leatherique Pristine Clean and water all work well for this.

If you really want to try something to make it "softer" then Leatherique is your best bet. Just don't bet the farm that it will make any difference either. The 3 series is going to have pretty much the cheapest leather BMW offers - don't expect soft-as-a-baby's-bottom seats unless you've gone through the Individual program to get some interior upgrades.
Surly73 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Detailed Image's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 3,480
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Greg, I just want my leather to feel less dry, and maybe a bit more supple. Hopefully this will extend their life span and keep the seats looking good. Do you think that Leatherique will work better than Zymol and the Zaino Brothers' conditioners?
I haven't used the Zymol in a long time and I don't use the Zaino ones so I can't really speak from experience on this one. I am confident the Leatherique products will be a big help though. Sorry I don't have more specifics here.

Greg @ DI
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
cykes
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 07' 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fullerton

Posts: 39
iTrader: (1)

Use Smart Leather by Smart Wax! You can't go wrong with their products. The only products I use for my car.
cykes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #15
Red'sBMW
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 328 xi
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Anyone concerned about UV damage to Dakota Leather? Any ideas on protection?
Red'sBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #16
TOGWT
Captain
 
TOGWT's Avatar
 
Drives: 630i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL / London, UK

Posts: 767
iTrader: (0)

Modern automotive leather upholstery use a completely different tanning processes and finishing system, utilizing advanced polymers and chemicals (urethane doesn’t require conditioning or rejuvenation) and as a consequence they do not need to be treated with aftercare products containing oils or proteins.

Oils and soft plastics (polymers, acrylics and urethanes) are not compatible; repeated application on to finished leather can cause the break-down of cross-linking and binding agents. Oil accelerates the deterioration of urethane over time.

After extended use the condition of the finished leathers pigmentation (colour) will be removed by the oil causing the urethane protection to become delaminated.


An extract from an article “Aniline Leather _Cleaning and Care” http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1455011


I hope the information in this article is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please let me know
TOGWT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST