E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Suspension Upgrades



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
kashanova
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Suspension Upgrades

Hey all, i'm looking to upgrade my suspension, having an XI has made this difficult for me.. Anyone have any suggest upgrades that would work on an XI?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
diamondbimmer92
Lieutenant
diamondbimmer92's Avatar
6
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
If yours going coils- KW v1
If your going shock/strut- Bilstein/Koni & eibach/h&r
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
AWD Addict's Avatar
36
Rep
2,483
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
What he said.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
kashanova
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Thanks, how about sways?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
giaolong
Second Lieutenant
giaolong's Avatar
2
Rep
271
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, Genesis, IS300
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

iTrader: (2)

Coils will be enough for ur DD Suspension upgrade.
Unless u planning to take a corner at 100mph.
__________________
09 BMW 335xi e92
-KW-M6 Wheels-Toyo-Mtech-RSD-
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
kashanova
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaolong View Post
Coils will be enough for ur DD Suspension upgrade.
Unless u planning to take a corner at 100mph.
I do plan on doing that eventually i might as well buy everything at once....
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
giaolong
Second Lieutenant
giaolong's Avatar
2
Rep
271
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, Genesis, IS300
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashanova View Post
I do plan on doing that eventually i might as well buy everything at once....
Then u can do:
-Swag
-Coilovers KW v3
-Camber
-Some dang good wheels + tires.
-Bars
Stiffer up the suspension, Even Camber like -2 all around.
__________________
09 BMW 335xi e92
-KW-M6 Wheels-Toyo-Mtech-RSD-
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
danniexi
Colonel
danniexi's Avatar
South Korea
31
Rep
2,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 335xi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaolong View Post
Then u can do:
-Swag
yes, riding low does involve swag.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
ccraig13
Second Lieutenant
ccraig13's Avatar
3
Rep
241
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaolong
Coils will be enough for ur DD Suspension upgrade.
Unless u planning to take a corner at 100mph.
I do that now and am running stock
__________________
2007 328xi E92 6MT Jet Black/Coral Red | NJ BMW CCA | Tracks: NJMP
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
kashanova
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaolong View Post
Then u can do:
-Swag
-Coilovers KW v3
-Camber
-Some dang good wheels + tires.
-Bars
Stiffer up the suspension, Even Camber like -2 all around.
which bars are compatible with XIs?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
akotten
Major
akotten's Avatar
13
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rapid City, SD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashanova View Post
Hey all, i'm looking to upgrade my suspension, having an XI has made this difficult for me.. Anyone have any suggest upgrades that would work on an XI?
What are your goals and intended use for the car? I have TC Kline S/A coilovers with an M3 rear bar, M3 rear subframe bushings, and vorshlag camber plates. The setup is fantastic, but I also like to track my car quite a bit.
__________________
TC Kline S/A | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ///M Bushings & ARB | CP-e DPs | VRSF FMIC | Procede 2.5 w/ OpenFlash | DCI |
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
kashanova
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
What are your goals and intended use for the car? I have TC Kline S/A coilovers with an M3 rear bar, M3 rear subframe bushings, and vorshlag camber plates. The setup is fantastic, but I also like to track my car quite a bit.
My goal is to have a great ride quality, I want to be able to take a curve at a high speed and feel like im in control. The stock XI suspension doesn't grant me this.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
akotten
Major
akotten's Avatar
13
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rapid City, SD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashanova View Post
My goal is to have a great ride quality, I want to be able to take a curve at a high speed and feel like im in control. The stock XI suspension doesn't grant me this.
I love the way my TCK setup rides, but do know that its usually a small trade off to gain the performance you want. It's my daily driver and still very comfortable, but probably not as compliant (and it shouldnt be), as my original OEM suspension. The M3 sway bar will help reduce understeer a bit. The camber plates, to me, are for the track but they will reduce understeer the most.

Having said that, I get where you're coming from. The stock xi suspension likes to "float" you could say. All of that is gone now for me, and its great. You could probably go with a set of Koni Yellow Sports and possibly H&R Sport springs, if you don't want to go to a full coilover setup.
__________________
TC Kline S/A | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ///M Bushings & ARB | CP-e DPs | VRSF FMIC | Procede 2.5 w/ OpenFlash | DCI |
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
kashanova
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
I love the way my TCK setup rides, but do know that its usually a small trade off to gain the performance you want. It's my daily driver and still very comfortable, but probably not as compliant (and it shouldnt be), as my original OEM suspension. The M3 sway bar will help reduce understeer a bit. The camber plates, to me, are for the track but they will reduce understeer the most.

Having said that, I get where you're coming from. The stock xi suspension likes to "float" you could say. All of that is gone now for me, and its great. You could probably go with a set of Koni Yellow Sports and possibly H&R Sport springs, if you don't want to go to a full coilover setup.
I'm going to get the KW coilovers, and I'll look into upgrade the bars, how thick is the m3 sway bar?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
psmitty95
Brigadier General
psmitty95's Avatar
United_States
104
Rep
3,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenwich, CT/ Dallas, TX

iTrader: (8)

I thought i read somewhere the H&R rear sway was a better upgrade than the M3 rear sway? I'm gonna be upgrading my suspension soon probably and will most likely go with coils. With the stock suspension i can't keep up with my friend's STi or my other friends highly modded S4
__________________
< Click picture for photoshoot
E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
Mods: Cobb V3 w/ Motiv Tune, VRSF DP/FMIC, ER CP, Roc-Euro DCI, SteveAZ LPFP & more
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno

Last edited by psmitty95; 07-17-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #16
JelloXI
Private
JelloXI's Avatar
0
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330XI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: fairfax, va

iTrader: (1)

i dont know the dimensions of the m3 but the H&R is 20mm, im thinking of getting that too, but i wanna kno for sure itll fit 330xi before i get it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #17
JelloXI
Private
JelloXI's Avatar
0
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330XI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: fairfax, va

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JelloXI View Post
i dont know the dimensions of the m3 but the H&R is 20mm, im thinking of getting that too, but i wanna kno for sure itll fit 330xi before i get it.
so if i read correct on getbmwparts.com website the m3 rear sway has three diff options

a 18mm 20mm and 21.5mm

and its cheaper than the HR reay sway, so i think im gonna go the M3 route on sways
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
Doyle
Hellafunctional
9
Rep
426
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: N/A

iTrader: (2)

A sway bar is "good" only if it balances out the chassis. Ie: sway bar rates depend on the spring rates you choose, and how much body roll you want to rein in.

For example: Stock spring rates (145/460) will need different bars than my car (450/700). All e9x bars will fit the rear, but if they are the right bar is a more difficult question.
__________________
Go: Cobb S2+, Big Tom FMIC, CP-E DP & DCI, Royal Muffler, AR OC
Turn: TC Kline/Swift SA, Vorshlag Plates, UUC Front Bar, H&R M3 Rear Bar, VAC endlinks & spacers, Forgeline 18x9.5/NT05 265 Square
Stop: Endless MX72, Stoptech Rotors/Lines, Motul RBF600
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
JelloXI
Private
JelloXI's Avatar
0
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330XI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: fairfax, va

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
A sway bar is "good" only if it balances out the chassis. Ie: sway bar rates depend on the spring rates you choose, and how much body roll you want to rein in.

For example: Stock spring rates (145/460) will need different bars than my car (450/700). All e9x bars will fit the rear, but if they are the right bar is a more difficult question.
im looking to run bilstein HD on stock springs (i dont wanna lose ride height), so with that said, m3 rear sway, hotchkis chassis brace, front upper strut brace, stock sways, and bushings.

e90 330xi not too much oversteer?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
kashanova
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Yeah im looking at the kw coilovers, so I'm not sure which bar to get.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
psmitty95
Brigadier General
psmitty95's Avatar
United_States
104
Rep
3,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenwich, CT/ Dallas, TX

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashanova View Post
Yeah im looking at the kw coilovers, so I'm not sure which bar to get.
+1
__________________
< Click picture for photoshoot
E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
Mods: Cobb V3 w/ Motiv Tune, VRSF DP/FMIC, ER CP, Roc-Euro DCI, SteveAZ LPFP & more
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
335xi Kevo
Lieutenant
335xi Kevo's Avatar
7
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CT

iTrader: (3)

Just an FYI our xi comes with a larger sway bar, iirc 18mm. This is larger then our "I" brothers. Dont do the front only do the rear with the larger m3 bar.
__________________
08' 335xi 6MT
Space Metallic Grey
Premium, Nav, Cold weather, Sport
Procede 2.5, DCI, Forge DV, PWM, Scoops, KW V1, ETS 5" FMIC, VRSF Downpipes, M3 Skirts
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST