E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Tint ticket/summons in RI

07-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
MARKET AL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 328xi AW

Tint ticket/summons in RI

Got pulled over lasts week for tint violation in RI. The law in RI is 70% light transmittance. Which is basically no tint. My tint is 35%. Does anyone know how to get around having to strip my car of all it's tint? This is such a stupid law, not to mention the cop was in front of me pulled off the road and then came flying up behind me to cite the violation. As most of you are aware 35% is hardly anything. Such nonsense!
      07-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
sed335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to sed335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketAL View Post
Got pulled over lasts week for tint violation in RI. The law in RI is 70% light transmittance. Which is basically no tint. My tint is 35%. Does anyone know how to get around having to strip my car of all it's tint? This is such a stupid law, not to mention the cop was in front of me pulled off the road and then came flying up behind me to cite the violation. As most of you are aware 35% is hardly anything. Such nonsense!
Yes, do what I did and pay the ticket. Then you don't need to worry about stripping it off. Just know that you could get pulled over again for this, but each time, you just pay the ticket. You have to decide what makes more sense for you. Pay the fine each time, or rip off the tint. In 4+ years with illegal tint on my car, I only got pulled over once and I paid the fine.

Good luck!
2007 E90 335i 6MT | BMWCCA #449180 | SGM / Terra / Dark Burl Walnut | Mtech front | Premium/Cold | PDC | BMW SSK | Performance Knob | Alcantara Boots | Matte Black Grilles | BMS DCI | Cyba Scoops | Clutch Stop | BC Coils | M2 exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Arustik1
HYEPWR
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
In Massachusetts I believe this is a moving violation. Not sure about RI.
      07-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
MARKET AL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 328xi AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebamf335i
Quote:
Yes, do what I did and pay the ticket. Then you don't need to worry about stripping it off. Just know that you could get pulled over again for this, but each time, you just pay the ticket. You have to decide what makes more sense for you. Pay the fine each time, or rip off the tint. In 4+ years with illegal tint on my car, I only got pulled over once and I paid the fine.

Good luck!
I don't have the option of paying, I must appear in court (Traffic Tribunal). Apparently if I don't strip it off, it's a $250 fine at court plus court fees and a new court date. Incredible!!
      07-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
wahooooman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335xi 6mt

do what i did,
Its a long shot but if you want to keep your tints.
go to your doctors and say you have chronic migraines and need a notice to have some sort of sun protection other than glasses, MY DOCTOR NEEDED A BIT OF CONVINCING, and bring that to court. My $40 doctor visit was well worth it compared to tints $250. idk about in Road island but i worked for me. Now im going to go a little darker with the tints. Oh and if this does work for you carry the doctors notice with you. best of luck !!!
      07-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
sed335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to sed335i
Quote:
I don't have the option of paying, I must appear in court (Traffic Tribunal). Apparently if I don't strip it off, it's a $250 fine at court plus court fees and a new court date. Incredible!!
Ohhhh....didn't realize that. I got pulled over in MA for my tints (so I guess it is a moving violation) and no other reason. Try the "migraine" excuse with your doctor. Good luck, man!
2007 E90 335i 6MT | BMWCCA #449180 | SGM / Terra / Dark Burl Walnut | Mtech front | Premium/Cold | PDC | BMW SSK | Performance Knob | Alcantara Boots | Matte Black Grilles | BMS DCI | Cyba Scoops | Clutch Stop | BC Coils | M2 exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
f30nynj
~~Looking for a F30 M-Sport ~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for a new ride!!

In NJ, I got a ticket for $54 and it's not a moving violation. It didn't affect my insurance or appear in my driving license.

I just paid the fine online and forgot about it.
Appreciate 0