E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Bulb Failure - Self Correcting

07-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
G_M_S
Private First Class

Drives: E91 330D

Bulb Failure - Self Correcting

Had a repeat of a problem which I had a couple of weeks ago.

Started the car and had a Bulb Failure Warning on the dash, so duely got out and checked the lights and sure enough part of the rear drivers side tail light wasn't working. Note to self to get spare bulbs and figure how to get into the tailgate section (as this was the failed part).

15 or 20 minutes into the journey the warning symbol disappears - so when safe, I stop the car, get out and check - sure enough all lights working OK.

Today, same thing happened, similar timescales - warning goes away and all lights working OK.

Car's a 2005 E91 - still under BMW warranty, so wondering whether it's worth putting into a dealer - or am I likely to get fobbed of with it's just one of those things?

Does the car store such error messages, even after they disappear?
      07-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
parapaul
Colonel

Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_S View Post
Note to self to get spare bulbs and figure how to get into the tailgate section (as this was the failed part).
Sounds like a bad connection rather than a bulb problem - but worth checking they're all firmly in place.

If you open the tailgate until it's at eye level, and look at the join where the carpet meets the bodywork, you'll see 3 slight indentations - one at each side and one in the middle.

Using a flat blade screwdriver in these indentations, you can pop the trim from the bodywork and get at the back of the lights.

There's pics and a DIY floating around on the forum somewhere
      07-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
IanS100
Colonel

Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus

I had this on my last car, the warning said it was a sidelight but not which one. It was months before I found out because it has always started working again when i looked round the car but changing the offending bulb cured the problem.
IanS100 is online now   United Kingdom
      08-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
G_M_S
Private First Class

Drives: E91 330D

OK, so this problem re-occured when I was in the dealers yesterday (what are the chances of that) got the service guy to come out and look. Something that I'd not noticed before is when your rear light fails - the car switches on the brake light on that side to a low intensity to ensure that you've got rear lighting both sides. Something that I didn't know - but one of those little safety things that you realise somebody at BMW cares and engineers for.

Anyway long and short of it, was the bulb filament had broken - there was evidence of sputtering in the bulb and I can only summise that it had welded itself good again. So they check the otherside saw some damage and replaced both bulbs.

Cost 0 - time 10mins
Satisfaction 100%