E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Romney's Latest Bain Problem: Aborted Fetuses

07-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
128vertinnoho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 128iC

Romney's Latest Bain Problem: Aborted Fetuses

Anything to make a buck I guess.......

Another Bain Capital controversy for Mitt Romney: He may have still been involved with the private-equity firm when it invested $75 million in Stericycle, a medical-waste disposal company that disposes of aborted fetuses, thus making it a target of anti-abortion activists. The Huffington Post first revealed the Romney-Stericycle connection, but Bain kept it from blowing up into a controversy by claiming that Romney left the firm in February 1999, before the deal was made. But SEC documents obtained by Mother Jones list Romney as "sole shareholder, Chairman, CEO, and President" of Bain and as a definite participant in the deal—a deal that made him and his partners millions; one document even includes his signature.

The documents are relevant not only because of the abortion controversy, but because of Romney's departure from Bain. He has used the official account of the timing of his exit to defend himself—not just with regard to the Stericycle deal, but also with regard to the recent article about Bain's connections to major job outsourcing. In that case, the Romney campaign noted that his February 1999 exit came at least a month before Bain acquired two of the companies that outsourced jobs. But these documents indicate Romney was still playing a role at the company until the end of that year. Mother Jones has a detailed look at the documents—as well as Stericycle's troubled safety record.

http://www.newser.com/story/149334/r...d-fetuses.html
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

It's just a ploy on Romney's part to pick up more liberal support. Disregard this obvious effort to pander to pro-abortion contituencies.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic

Garage List
I don't like Romney and I won't vote for him. I think first and foremost that he has no sense of honor whatsoever. But this drivel above is useless and has nothing at all to do with his ability (or lack thereof) to run the country. I really wish people would stick to the real issues at hand. Then it will become obvious that neither candidate has the answers, or that both know there are no answers and we're all screwed.

I still think the GOP intentionally threw the last election by picking Palin as a VP because they knew the economy was going to continue its fall and they'd get all the blame instead of just some of it. Well things aren't a whole lot better and there is still no light at the end of the tunnel (except maybe from an oncoming trainwreck). If Romney picks Bachmann as a running mate, you'll know the GOP decided to toss in the towel yet again.

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
fokus45
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: little blue dune buggy

Lol. That is funny that he MAY have still been involved. I guess that Obama MAY have been born in Kenya is still relevant then.

Last edited by fokus45; 07-03-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: because
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So the irony of this doesn't jump out at anyone? Liberals, who very much support the right to abortion (and its inevitable byproducts), tee this one up as a weapon against Romney?

BTW--Anybody have any evidence that this company actually processes dead children? Or that it's any appreciable part of its core business? Didn't see that jumping out on their website. Of course who would actually claim that?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The left isn't using this to disparage Romney for being a party to abortion per se. They're using it to disparage him for being a hypocrite for claiming to be pro-life when his company had a hand in abortion. And they're right, he is a hypocrite. But that can be said for most politicians regardless of party affiliation.

-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
The left isn't using this to disparage Romney for being a party to abortion per se. They're using it to disparage him for being a hypocrite for claiming to be pro-life when his company had a hand in abortion. And they're right, he is a hypocrite. But that can be said for most politicians regardless of party affiliation.
Actually the facts seem to be a little less interesting. He MAY or MAY NOT have had a hand in a decision his company made to INVEST in a company that among its many services MAY dispose of medical waste which MIGHT include aborted fetuses. That's not exactly having a hand in abortion. But, we'll just have to see how this plays out won't we. Liberals may regret bringing abortion back to center stage--could have a mobilizing effect on conservative voters. More facts required....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's like I was saying before, it's an irrelevant side issue.

To be truthful, I don't see a huge difference between Romney and Obama as politicians. I tell people I'm voting for Obamney. The real effect of the next election will be one of control of Congress and whether the rubber stamp on the desk in Oval Office says "Veto" or "Approve." If the GOP gains control of Congress and Romney gets elected, we go backwards 4 years with the same de-regulation and tax cuts and so on. If the Dems gain control and Obama gets elected, we'll see more stimulus crap. If the status quo is maintained, we'll have 4 more years of nothing much happening. None of those options is particularly good, which is why I say we're screwed no matter what happens.

-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
128vertinnoho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 128iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
It's like I was saying before, it's an irrelevant side issue.

To be truthful, I don't see a huge difference between Romney and Obama as politicians. I tell people I'm voting for Obamney. The real effect of the next election will be one of control of Congress and whether the rubber stamp on the desk in Oval Office says "Veto" or "Approve." If the GOP gains control of Congress and Romney gets elected, we go backwards 4 years with the same de-regulation and tax cuts and so on. If the Dems gain control and Obama gets elected, we'll see more stimulus crap. If the status quo is maintained, we'll have 4 more years of nothing much happening. None of those options is particularly good, which is why I say we're screwed no matter what happens.
For me, the number one issue in this election is the Supreme Court. The main reason I'm voting Obama.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128vertinnoho View Post
For me, the number one issue in this election is the Supreme Court. The main reason I'm voting Obama.
Why worry about stacking the Supreme Court when you can just buy them. Or better yet, in the best Chicago way, just place a horse head in their bed.:
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)

Last edited by mspeasl; 07-04-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
JesterEXW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i, Space Gray / Black

Ya, this article is really useless. This is right up there with the insane "birthers" arguing over Obama's birth certificate. When people reach for non-sensical arguments like this it weakens their position overall by detracting from their credibility. Anyone can post whatever they want on here obviously, but this is a futile argument in my mind that has too little fact and far too much speculation.
Appreciate 0