E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Will adding an afe cold intake make my dealer mad?

07-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Blackhawk55
Private

Drives: 2012 335is Convertible

Will adding an afe cold intake make my dealer mad?

Shoudl I fear my dealer giving me a hard time if I bring my 335is in for service after I've installed an afe stage cold intake system?

What mods do they allow and what mods do they care about? Anyone with history? I have a hose clamp problem elsewhere that I'd like to just stop in the delaer service department but don't want the hassle.
      07-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
E90Company
Major General

Drives: Car

Mods alone won't void your warranty. If you bring your car in with an issue that may be related to a mod you have, the dealer may try to blame the issue on your mod and not cover it. For example, if your taillights completely went out, and you brought your car in for it, they arn't going to blame it on an intake because they are unrelated, and you will be covered. But if you have an issue with, say, your turbo, the dealer could say the intake sucked in more air than was designed and caused the failure, for example (even though thats not true, lol)

It also depends on your dealer. Some picky SA's and techs will make note of anything and everything you have on your car. Others will replace turbos etc with a FBO car. it's a hit or miss, and you need to see how they react at your local dealer. To answer your question though, they probably won't really care about an intake. Generally it's fairly harmless. Just pull it out if you think you need a major repair done that may be linked to it.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
      07-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Tucker020
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2007 335i E93

I took mine in for what turned out to be a bad ignition coil. I just told them up front that I had a dual cone CAI and a BMS Catch Can installed. I feel that if you are up front and honest about it, then they could care less. Unless it is a big ticket item like a turbo gone bad. I did remove the Cobb tune though.
      07-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!

Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [3.32]
Man it's an intake, why would they care?

Go for it enjoy the car and happy modding!
      07-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
tmo24
Captain

Drives: 2010 335i e90 Msport

No, they cannot void warranty for your intake if your intake did not directly cause damage. But when they see it, they will assume you race your car around all the time and mod your car etc. Of course they will have to prove that, but from my experience, it makes them raise eyebrows and start looking. The first question they asked me after they saw the DCI is "do you have software mods?". Actually, I think he worded it more like "What software mods do you have?", trying to trick me into telling me I have a tune. Make friends with the SA before he knows you have any mods and then find his tolerance for warranty and mods so that you can save time in the future taking stuff off everytime you take it in.
      07-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Blackhawk55
Private

I should have been more clear to indicate that the intake *might* have something to do with the problem at hand. I'll quote from another post in another forum:

Actually, the installation went ok but i have question about a problem I had afterwards.

Following installation, my son and I took it out for a test drive. We could immediately hear the whoosh of air and whine of the turbo spooling(?) that I had never heard before. As my son punched a little we heard a very loud POP and the half-engine malfunction light came on saying not running on full power and to take it into service asap.

Using the COBB Accessport we read a P3OFF code. Gogoling we saw it was a "boost leak" and to check all the hose connections. Sure enough one of the large hose clamps had come loose and the two hoses were now separated. TO be sure I am communiating properly since I am not much of a gear head by any stretch, I'll try and paste a picture below. The clamp right in the center of the picture (under the radiator hose which makes working in there quite tight) is where two hoses separated. We're think this has something to do with the stock FMIC. Agree?

I have tried to reseat the hoses and tried to retighten the clamp a half down times since but I get a bout a half mile before the malfunction reoccurs and the hoses have separated again. I need to try again tonight to make the best connection I can.

I realize that this is not directly related to installing the cold intake but my question for you I guess is whether you have heard of others where perhaps the increase in power or air makes this type of thing occur? I even reflashed my AccessPort with a less aggressive stock simulation map to try and cut down on the power somewhat. If you have any advice at all, I'd appreciate it. DO you know if that grey connector disconnects so I can work in there easier?

Endquote. I certainly would like to think I can do something as simple as get this clamp tight around these two hoses connections! My question regarding the dealer is more one of "well, what if I keep failing on my own and absolutely need it fixed?"

It could be that the clamp was loosish and the extra power from the intake is forcing it off.
      07-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
E90Company
Major General

That's your chargepipe. Did it crack or just separate? It was caused by the tune and not the intake. Just remove all the mods and try to get a new chargepipe under warranty.
      07-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Blackhawk55
Private

I see. You are saying that the part to the right of the lowermost clamp (as looking at the picture) is the chargepipe. There's a flexible hose coming from the left that fits into that pipe and there's a clamp around the leftmost portion of the chargepipe that (even thought the pipe is hard plastic) aparently tries to tighted the plastic down on that hose.

My problem is that the hose is now out of the pipe housing. I don't see any evidence of any part of the pipe breaking or cracking. JUst that the hose does not stay inside the pipe so I trust that's where the boost leak is going. FWIW, there's oil coming from the pipe and onto the hose if that sounds right.

If I could get the hose seated correctly, I'd like to think I'm done but I'm hearing you say that the extra boost from the tune is making that pip a weak spot.
      07-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
E90Company
Major General

It could be the connection from your FMIC to the chargepipe, that's what it sounds like from what you describe. Hard to tell from the pic with that ballast in the way.

The tune could have caused the connection to blow off, and that's where your leak is. If there's a little bit of oil that's normal, but there shouldn't be a ton there. If I were you I would try to reseat and tighten the clamp, then go to the dealer.
      07-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Blackhawk55
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
It could be the connection from your FMIC to the chargepipe, that's what it sounds like from what you describe. Hard to tell from the pic with that ballast in the way.

The tune could have caused the connection to blow off, and that's where your leak is. If there's a little bit of oil that's normal, but there shouldn't be a ton there. If I were you I would try to reseat and tighten the clamp, then go to the dealer.
Yes that sounds right. From what I read that chargepipe connection has a history of failure and the design of using a clamp on hard plastic sucks. Getting a little oil on the hose just makes it all the more slippery.

I'm going to show it to the dealer and have them correct it. I'll leave the intake on but uninstall the tune.
      07-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E90 N54

The stock charge pipes blow off all the time and crack if you look at them funny. If you are going to be tuned you should probably just replace it with a metal one.
      07-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Blackhawk55
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
The stock charge pipes blow off all the time and crack if you look at them funny. If you are going to be tuned you should probably just replace it with a metal one.
Thanks, I've read that too though it that blows! No pun intended.
      07-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru

Drives: 2007 E93 335i

The worst I've seen from my dealer is if the failure is related to, but not caused by, a mod he will ask that I remove said mod, bring THAT PART back to stock, and bring it back in to have it repaired under warranty.

My BMW Tech is also the guy who did my mods (he works for both places), so he knows the car inside and out. I'll call him and tell him what happened, he'll tell me first bring it to ESTR (the mod shop) then to the dealer, here is your appointment time, I'll set it up with your SA. He has even performed warranty work at ESTR and given me dealer paperwork.
jay@navtv.com
superjay is offline   United_States
      07-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
mattpatt007

Drives: 09' E92

yeouch
      07-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
BuraQ
Colonel

Drives: 11" E92 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [2.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk55
Shoudl I fear my dealer giving me a hard time if I bring my 335is in for service after I've installed an afe stage cold intake system?

What mods do they allow and what mods do they care about? Anyone with history? I have a hose clamp problem elsewhere that I'd like to just stop in the delaer service department but don't want the hassle.
No, unless there is something wrong with your Turbos .

There has to be something wrong with your car in order for them to flag it.
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
BuraQ is offline   United_States
      07-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
benzy89
Banned

Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Blackhawk -- Can you use Paint or something and circle the connection you're talking about just to make sure we're diagnosing appropriately.

As for "mod friendly" Dealers, check your regional forum & ask some other Chicago BMW owners and see which ones don't mind mods & which dealers to stay away from.
benzy89 is offline   United_States
      07-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
BuraQ
Colonel

Drives: 11" E92 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [2.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk55 View Post

....Using the COBB Accessport we read a P3OFF code. Gogoling we saw it was a "boost leak" and to check all the hose connections.....
After installing the aFe CAI there was a code that was thrown related to a manifold boost leak or something like that associated. I cleared the code and it was no more. I took out the aFe intake to make some initial modifcations and the code came back again. I cleared it and it never came back again. Came to find out when you remove the manifold preasure senser shown below, you release preasure from the MAP thus the DME will think there is a boost leak some where.

Edit: Make sure that plug is fastened down correctly
Attached Images

Last edited by BuraQ; 07-05-2012 at 07:37 PM.
BuraQ is offline   United_States
      07-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
Blackhawk55
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Blackhawk -- Can you use Paint or something and circle the connection you're talking about just to make sure we're diagnosing appropriately.

As for "mod friendly" Dealers, check your regional forum & ask some other Chicago BMW owners and see which ones don't mind mods & which dealers to stay away from.
Here's your circle:
      07-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #19
Blackhawk55
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
After installing the aFe CAI there was a code that was thrown related to a manifold boost leak or something like that associated. I cleared the code and it was no more. I took out the aFe intake to make some initial modifcations and the code came back again. I cleared it and it never came back again. Came to find out when you remove the manifold preasure senser shown below, you release preasure from the MAP thus the DME will think there is a boost leak some where.

Edit: Make sure that plug is fastened down correctly
Thank you. Wish I would have known and checked that as we did indeed pop that off as directed in the CAI instructions. Unfortunately the car is now spending the night at the dealer so they can hopefully fix it in the morning. The FMIC hose was so obvious, I didn't check for any other leaks.

I di get the boost leak code and cleared it but it continually came back as soon as I'd give it some good acceleration. And after lining up the FMIC hose and charge pipe and getting the malfunction, checking would show that the hose had become dislodged from it's place at the pipe. I'll hope the dealer simply reconnects that connection better or, as you suggest, find that the vacuum line is loose. Thanks for your reply, though!
      07-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #20
benzy89
Banned

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
That's the FMIC Cold Piping to Charge Pipe Connection. Normally when a CP breaks/comes loose, it's from the Throttle Body end. Did you loosen that T-clamp when you installed your intake? Or has it just been coming loose/undone since you've increased the performance setting with the COBB tune?
      07-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
Blackhawk55
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
That's the FMIC Cold Piping to Charge Pipe Connection. Normally when a CP breaks/comes loose, it's from the Throttle Body end. Did you loosen that T-clamp when you installed your intake? Or has it just been coming loose/undone since you've increased the performance setting with the COBB tune?
I did not loosen it. My thought (based on reading today) is that it was loose on its own and the increased performance blew it open.

Truthfuly, I've been working with Cobb support as my performance increase was not that noticeable and I asked for advice. That is until I added the CAI yesterday Then the car sounded and felt totally different immediately. I actually heard the turbos loud and clear where I hadn't previously. The first good pull and POP went the hose.
      07-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
benzy89
Banned

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
That's a little concerning that it came loose on it's own, but luckily it's a simple fix that you can do in your driveway. Just make sure the FMIC + CP are jammed all the way into each other & tighten accordingly (obviously you don't want to over-tighten & crack the plastic).

BTW: aFe doesn't make a true CAI, they make that sealed Elite intake. But STETT, UR & Dinan