E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > A few questions for those who have had a DPF fail

07-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Ryan87
Private First Class

Drives: 325D M Sport

A few questions for those who have had a DPF fail

Had the lovely news from my local dealer yesterday that I "may" need a replacement DPF.

They've quoted me just shy of 1800 to do the work but there are a few issues im a bit worried about.

Firstly, the car went into the dealer around 6 months ago with the yellow DPF light on. I was told they had carried out a full software upgrade and with a decent run the car would be fine.

So that was done and the car ran fine.

Last week the DPF light came back on and I immediately booked it back in with the same dealer.

They had the car for 2 hours yesterday and told me the following:

1) According to the diagnostic machine the car has not regenerated in 5 and a 1/2 years (which is clever as it's only just 5 years old!)

2) They cant do a forced regeneration as the car wont allow it. I was told the DED module wont allow them to force a regeneration.

They came back and told me that they "suspect" the DPF is clogged and would like to replace that to start with at the cost of 1800.

They then stated that if that wasn't successful then it's likely the DED module needs to be replaced at a cost of between 400 to 600 not including coding & fitting.

The tests they ran on the car stated that the exhaust pressure was fine and the rest of the engine tests came back ok.

Now im not mechanically minded however, if something was blocked on the exhaust system then wouldn't there be too much pressure on the turbo and therefore the car wouldnt be running right?

Im reluctant to spend 1800 on a replacement DPF if its only "suspected" and do I have a come back if it's replaced and makes no difference and am them told its the DED module to which is another large bill?

I appreciate this topic is covered often and I have searched through the forum but cant find exactly what im looking for.

I have the service manager ringing me back tomorrow to explain what I paid for 6 months ago if the car has never regenerated but I cant see it being good news.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this subject.
      07-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
CraigUK
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E91 320D Sport Tourer

I've got no experience with dpf but if it were me then I would be asking for it to be replaced at the expense of BMWGB. If the system hasn't regenerated for over five years then it has never worked from new.
      07-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
westsidee90
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
I've got no experience with dpf but if it were me then I would be asking for it to be replaced at the expense of BMWGB. If the system hasn't regenerated for over five years then it has never worked from new.
lol thats a bloody good point PMSL!
      07-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
jimmylad
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

why didn't they tell you 6 months ago when the problem 1st started that it had never regenerated ?

It's funny how they expect you to pay out for their "haunches" cos they cant decide what to do 1st to correct a problem on their own cars.

If it's never regenerated then to me that is down to BMW to sort out especially if it has service history.

How many owners would even be aware of a regeneration or that one is needed.
jimmylad is offline   England
      07-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW E92 M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK
+1
And at least get a second opinion if you don't fight the liability, I've been taken to the cleaners by dealers years ago before I knew better and paid for work I later discovered wasn't necessary.
Alex.Devol is offline   United Kingdom
      07-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
xs2man
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Yeah, I would be going down the route of getting BMW to pay for it if it has never worked right from the start.

Once that option has been exhausted, if they are not willing, looks like a good excuse for DPF delete and remap to me. Will be cheaper, give your car more power, better economy, and makes sure this will never happen again.

07-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Ryan87
Private First Class

Well the manager got back to me on Friday and has told me they would be willing to take the DPF out and try to steam clean it but they have tried this before to no avail.

I've also now been told that because the software was updated 6 months ago that it would have erased all previous information hence it's stating that it's never done a regen.

After speaking to the other half (who's not happy as the money that will be used to fix it is was meant for the wedding) it looks liek were just going to have it replaced.

I have looked into the DPF delete but if im honest, im not a fan of black smoke coming out the back.
      07-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
jimmylad
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

software delete deleted all the info ?? didnt they back it up at all or is it not in their system history?? how very convienient for them. So they cant prove it ever regenerated then can they.

Regarding the black smoke issue its not a problem at all. Mine passed the MOT easily with a very low particulate figure & the only time I see any smoke is if I have been tootling about for days on end & then give it the beans. To see it though you need a car following you at night time & you can see it in the rear view in their head lights but for maybe 2 seconds while it clears its throat & thats it. No more smoke. Exhaust tips get dirtier quicker.

I have mine in the garage to either sell with the car when that day comes or to put back on should the law change.
jimmylad is offline   England
      07-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Ryan87
Private First Class

Well i havent had time to get the car back to the dealer yet, hopefully some time this week, but noticed something a bit peculiar tonight.

The gases coming out of the exhaust were red hot and i mean burn your hand if its there for more than a second or so.

Now im thinking this could be related to the DPF so will get it booked in tomorrow. But would i be right in thinking it gets this hot when its trying to do a regen?

Could the dpf somehow managed to have unclogged itself and tried a regen?
      07-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
briers
Ben

Drives: XFR

The exhaust temperatures do skyrocket when a dpf purge is being attempted. Ecu detects higher back pressure and will adjust fuel injection to spray fuel in to raise the exhaust temps. I myself have done the hand test after a regen but never felt the extremely hot gases at the tip.

It's important to let the car complete a purge if you detect it. I've chosen to keep driving once a purge is underway. Usually noticable by hanging onto gears, mpg instant consumption usually sits at 50mpg on a flat steady speed but drops to 30mpg or below on a dpf burn. I then go into the coolant temp hidden menu whilst driving, see it at between 93 and 100, knowing a purge is happened and only stop the car once it gets back down into the 80s and is driving normally again.

I just think it helps the dpf from further blockages especially if you don't do enough motorway or dual carridgeway journeys where a passive regen is common place.
briers is offline   United Kingdom