E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlight restoration



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Markcaughey
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: BMW e90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Headlight restoration

The headlights on my car seem quite dull and pitted was thinking of restoring them but have a few questions first. I am a spray painter to trade and want to know is it just as simple a flattening the headlights with p1500 wet, p3000 trizact, then buff with g3 compound or is ther anything else I should know before I go ahead with the job. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
tofu-
Banned
43
Rep
2,858
Posts

Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: nyc

iTrader: (4)

The toughest part is applying the thick UV coating, which generally isn't available cheaply and in small quantities to consumers.

Find a pro and make sure they aren't a hack job just applying wax, paint sealants, or opticoat. Heck, some goofballs even spray regular clearcoat on them . The UV protectant should either be a 2 part chemical curing process or something that requires a UV lamp.



People will suggest just buffing them, using a 3m kit, or a Sylvania, but please don't take their advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Markcaughey
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: BMW e90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Wer can I buy this uv coating and how do u apply it ?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Markcaughey
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: BMW e90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Can I just use a was with uv protection qualities in it for example farecla marine wax ?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Surly73
Captain
Canada
11
Rep
724
Posts

Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

I'm planning on getting this for mine:

http://www.deltakits.com/products/4/847
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
holmes011
Lieutenant
9
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
The toughest part is applying the thick UV coating, which generally isn't available cheaply and in small quantities to consumers.

Find a pro and make sure they aren't a hack job just applying wax, paint sealants, or opticoat. Heck, some goofballs even spray regular clearcoat on them . The UV protectant should either be a 2 part chemical curing process or something that requires a UV lamp.



People will suggest just buffing them, using a 3m kit, or a Sylvania, but please don't take their advice.
know anyone in the area that does this well? detailers domain maybe?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
31
Rep
2,434
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcaughey View Post
The headlights on my car seem quite dull and pitted was thinking of restoring them but have a few questions first. I am a spray painter to trade and want to know is it just as simple a flattening the headlights with p1500 wet, p3000 trizact, then buff with g3 compound or is ther anything else I should know before I go ahead with the job. Thanks
I did mine with the 3M restoration kit that comes with UV protection compound. Cost is about about $20 dlls. Very happy with the results. All you need is a drill and you are set.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
tofu-
Banned
43
Rep
2,858
Posts

Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: nyc

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011 View Post
know anyone in the area that does this well? detailers domain maybe?
possibly, but detailers generally don't do this kind of stuff. they might try to sway you toward the opticoat or just buffing+sealant method.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
holmes011
Lieutenant
9
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
possibly, but detailers generally don't do this kind of stuff. they might try to sway you toward the opticoat or just buffing+sealant method.
yeah i contacted them and they said stuff about opti coat. what method do you suggest? and who would you suggest i go to for this then?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
QUiKSR20
E90 Apprentice
QUiKSR20's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
785
Posts

Drives: 08' E90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tinton Falls, NJ

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to QUiKSR20
I had an issue with one of my headlights fogging up so BMW replaced the housing but now the other side looked very dull..

What we did was " came out good atleast to me " Is lightly wetsanded and buffed the old one to look as nice as the new one and then laminex coated them both so they dont get anymore rock chips.
__________________
-DG:.
08 E90 328i Sport 6MT Audio Build
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
tofu-
Banned
43
Rep
2,858
Posts

Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: nyc

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011 View Post
yeah i contacted them and they said stuff about opti coat. what method do you suggest? and who would you suggest i go to for this then?
your best bet would be to google headlight restoration in your area and ask them what method they use. Try to find someone who uses a wipe on solution so you don't have to worry about overspray.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST