E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Akuma ATP Pro Tune Review!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
woptang22
Major
23

 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa


Posts: 1,092
iTrader: (1)

Akuma ATP Pro Tune Review!!

I picked my car up today from Akuma Motorsports in Woodbridge NJ. They are the only Tuner in the tri state area that has COBBs ATP Pro Tuning software. After speaking with the guys at Akuma numerous times, they installed an aquamist HFS-3 meth kit, ETS charge pipe, and Tial BOV. While it was there they also replaced the Vanos solenoids since they have been throwing codes. Well I never had a stock baseline done. Akuma did a OTS stage 2 dyno, OTS stage 2+aggressive dyno, and their Pro Tune. Well Im very happy with the delta gains, but thought the car would have more power. But John(owner of Akuma) said he did a conservative tune so the car would be reliable for years to come. He said he could pull more power out of the car if Id like. A few other notes, it was on a Mustang Dyno, and it was 101 degrees in the dyno shop when they dynoed the car. Also Ive never had my intake valves cleaned and Im at about 40,000 miles. Ill attach some graphs for everyone to check out. Sorry for the terrible pics but they are from my EVO. But overall, the meth kit was installed nicely and clean. My experience with Akuma was great, they are all very knowledgable and talented at what they do. And if you dont like the tune, or install, they will fix it to your satisfaction. Ill attach a few pics and dyno sheet. Sorry for the pics of the dyno.
Attached Images
      
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Supracg135
Enlisted Member
1

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Potomac


Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

Man these turboes die out in the high rpm's, that torque curve is great until 5400 rpm.

Nonetheless 400 wtq is very respectable on a mustang dyno
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
woptang22
Major
23

 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa


Posts: 1,092
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supracg135 View Post
Man these turboes die out in the high rpm's, that torque curve is great until 5400 rpm.

Nonetheless 400 wtq is very respectable on a mustang dyno
Your not kidding about the turbos dying out in the higher RPMs, but its a lot better then it was with the off the shelf map. If feels as if it still pulls instead of running out of breath. Overall Im happy. What would you guess Id make on a dynojet? Just being curious as to how much difference there would be....
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
13

 
Drives: AW 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jax, Fl


Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Those are good numbers. What mix of meth/water and how many CC's/what size jets?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
woptang22
Major
23

 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa


Posts: 1,092
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz_M3 View Post
Those are good numbers. What mix of meth/water and how many CC's/what size jets?
Hey Lulz, how are you doing. Its 80meth/20water. And there are two jets, but honestly, I dont know the size of the jets. Ill have to ask. What do you think the power would be if I was on a dynojet? It seems like most #s I see on here are from a dynojet dyno.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
13

 
Drives: AW 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jax, Fl


Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Hey Lulz, how are you doing. Its 80meth/20water. And there are two jets, but honestly, I dont know the size of the jets. Ill have to ask. What do you think the power would be if I was on a dynojet? It seems like most #s I see on here are from a dynojet dyno.
I'm not sure if those numbers are correct or uncorrected, but usually its fairly accurate to assume about 10% lower. So probably 400whp, 450wtq on a dynojet. If you find yourself wanting more power have them tune it on an E85/93 octane mix and they should be able to pull another 30whp/50wtq.

Dont get too caught up in what you numbers you make, enjoy the power the car makes and if you really want to get a better indication of how strong it runs, take it to the track and see what kind of trap speeds you are putting up.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
skim7x
Use it or Lose it
United_States
45

 
skim7x's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Clifton, NJ


Posts: 2,461
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
What's up man, you finally got your car back! Lookin' good! How does the tune feel?? Smooth?

I had my car dyno'd on the EFI mustang dyno and had surprisingly high numbers... but I won't even mention numbers as it's meaningless to compare different dyno's... especially when yours was done under different conditions.

The car must pull hard though... We should set up a local track day in Englishtown and see what numbers we can pull!!
__________________
'07 Space Gray 335i coupe w/ Sports Package | Comfort Access

Cobb S1+ | PTF e30 custom tune | AMS | CP-e | BMS OCC | Quaife
[Newark Photoshoot #1]
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
woptang22
Major
23

 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa


Posts: 1,092
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
What's up man, you finally got your car back! Lookin' good! How does the tune feel?? Smooth?

I had my car dyno'd on the EFI mustang dyno and had surprisingly high numbers... but I won't even mention numbers as it's meaningless to compare different dyno's... especially when yours was done under different conditions.

The car must pull hard though... We should set up a local track day in Englishtown and see what numbers we can pull!!
Hey bro whats going on? Im very happy I got the car back lol. And Im loving the power delivery. Its alot smoother then it was with the off the shelf map and it doesnt run out of breath in the higher RPMs. Obviously from the dyno it does drop off in power higher in the RPMs but it doesnt feel dead like it dead before. Overall I am very happy. John said he could get a bit more aggressive with the tune if Id like and make more power. But the delta gains were pretty nice which is what matters. Let me know if anything ever goes on in englishtown. Ive never drag raced a car. That would probably be fun.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
woptang22
Major
23

 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa


Posts: 1,092
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz_M3 View Post
I'm not sure if those numbers are correct or uncorrected, but usually its fairly accurate to assume about 10% lower. So probably 400whp, 450wtq on a dynojet. If you find yourself wanting more power have them tune it on an E85/93 octane mix and they should be able to pull another 30whp/50wtq.

Dont get too caught up in what you numbers you make, enjoy the power the car makes and if you really want to get a better indication of how strong it runs, take it to the track and see what kind of trap speeds you are putting up.
Thanks lulz that makes sense. Another forum member Benzy89 said the same to me. Just enjoy the car and the new power delivery. Which is what Im going to do. I guess the #s dont always mean the most, its just enjoying whats done. And anyway the delta #s seem good. So Im very happy. And super happy I have my car. Keep in touch man let me know what you decide to do with your car.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
JStang
N54 ADDICT
45

 
JStang's Avatar
 
Drives: FBO E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL


Posts: 2,989
iTrader: (6)

Great numbers. I have my ATP appointment tomorrow morning for a 60/40 93/E85 map. I will post up as well.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
woptang22
Major
23

 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa


Posts: 1,092
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Great numbers. I have my ATP appointment tomorrow morning for a 60/40 93/E85 map. I will post up as well.
Awsome keep us posted.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
ZTZ1010
Captain Planet
United_States
23

 
ZTZ1010's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' E92 ZCP M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CT


Posts: 1,062
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.80]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ZTZ1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
They are the only Tuner in the tri state area that has COBBs ATP Pro Tuning software.
This is false. I know of two shops in my local (Connecticut) area alone with ATP Pro Tuning software. Don't be fooled when a shop tells you something like that (or asks you to repeat it for them).

But congrats on the numbers. Would have expected a little higher personally with that setup...
__________________
2011.5 Alpine White E92 M3 | DCT w/ BPM Software | ZCP | CF Roof | CF Lip| Fully Coded | AFE Stage 2 Intake| ACM Exhaust | ACM Test Pipes | BPM Stage II Dev Tune | AA Pulleys | RPi Scoops | Swift Springs | LED Interior Lights| LUX V4 | Extended Aluminum DCT Paddles|
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
woptang22
Major
23

 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa


Posts: 1,092
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTZ1010 View Post
This is false. I know of two shops in my local (Connecticut) area alone with ATP Pro Tuning software. Don't be fooled when a shop tells you something like that (or asks you to repeat it for them).

But congrats on the numbers. Would have expected a little higher personally with that setup...
Well I know EFI logics has the COBB ATP software but thats no where near me at all. I talked to them before going to Akuma, but it was just way to far for me to go. But on COBBS website, Akuma was the only place reasonably close. And Akuma didnt tell me that, I said that on my own just by looking on COBBS site. So I guess I didnt give the correct info. But for where I am, outside Philly it was the best option and most qualified shop.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
benzy89
Banned
United_States
28

 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ


Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
I'd go out on a limb and say while Akuma isn't the ONLY COBB ATP tuning facility in the tri-state area, they are the BEST. Until woptang posted this thread, I've rarely even heard of Akuma + BMW together. While they aren't very well known on the BMW forums (they aren't a forum sponsor, yet) they are very well known among EVO + WRX owners. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone since COBB is very well known for their work on the JDM scene (EVOs, WRXs, MS3s & the GTR), but the N54 is their 1st work with BMW.

John Shafer (the owner of Akuma) has worked very closely with COBB & helped them develop the GTR's software. After meeting & speaking with him for a few hours, it's clear that he's very intelligent & is also very interested in getting into the N54 scene + has a 135 that he's working on for himself. As a person, John is a great guy -- He wants to make sure the customer is happy. All of his tunes focus on quality power gains, but without sacrificing reliability or pushing the engine near its breaking point. If you're upset with your gains & want John to push it some more, he will warn you but at the end of the day it's your car and he's going to do what the customer wants.

If it wasn't for some of our N54 brethren on the other BMW "boosted" forum & their opening GB deal, I would probably be getting a tune done with John & Akuma. I'll be posting my results up here as well -- My car is an '08 E90 335i FBO (see sig for specific mods) and NO meth. I will be having a E85/93 blend map made, using the Stg 2+FMIC Aggressive Map as a base. I feel that my results will provide a quality analysis of what the N54 has to offer before you introduce additives like meth or NOS.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
jippii ensio
Major
13

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On the road


Posts: 1,222
iTrader: (0)

The delta between the most aggressive off the shelf tune and full custom tune is amazing. Congrats
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
woptang22
Major
23

 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa


Posts: 1,092
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
The delta between the most aggressive off the shelf tune and full custom tune is amazing. Congrats
Thank you. im super happy about the results. Im hoping more people car check out Akumas services.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
rader1
Banned
34

 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA


Posts: 2,197
iTrader: (0)

Awesome, glad to see you got your car back and tuned! Don't worry about what the peak numbers are, you still had a 40+hp delta between stage 2+ agg and the meth tune and that's still a huge bump in power!!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
AU335i
Captain
17

 
AU335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i E92
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auburn, AL


Posts: 886
iTrader: (3)

+40 across the board is some definitely nice gains OP! grats
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
woptang22
Major
23

 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa


Posts: 1,092
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335i View Post
+40 across the board is some definitely nice gains OP! grats
Thank you I appreciate the comments. Im loving the car so far.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
woptang22
Major
23

 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa


Posts: 1,092
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Awesome, glad to see you got your car back and tuned! Don't worry about what the peak numbers are, you still had a 40+hp delta between stage 2+ agg and the meth tune and that's still a huge bump in power!!
yeah thats what Im learning to look at. So that means alot. And thats what John at Akuma said. The delta gains are nice so he didnt want to push for more power until I had the car a while and drove it around. But he said theres more power to be gained if I want to go that route. Im very happy.,
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
7

 
Drives: AP e92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New york


Posts: 456
iTrader: (1)

Congrats woptang glad to see the car is up and running! How does it feel? And also is your car auto or manual?
__________________
Cobb JR Tune, HFS-4, DCI, AMS Intercooler, Vishnu CP, Forge DV's, AR DP's, RPI exhaust, AR OCC, BMW STS, Spec stage 3+ clutch, CDV delete, H&R Coil overs, Quaife LSD, DefiV Lock down kit, WOTbox.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #22
woptang22
Major
23

 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa


Posts: 1,092
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkg37s View Post
Congrats woptang glad to see the car is up and running! How does it feel? And also is your car auto or manual?
Thanks alot man. The car feels great. Power is there. And the power delivery is much better and smoother. At the top of the RPMs it used to totally die, now it feels alot more healthy. Also my car is an Auto.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST