E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Akuma ATP Pro Tune Review!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #23
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,910
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
......Well Im very happy with the delta gains, but thought the car would have more power. But John(owner of Akuma) said he did a conservative tune so the car would be reliable for years to come. He said he could pull more power out of the car if Id like....
It is possible with FBO to get 400+ whp and still be within safe territory of the turbos "specs"

Anyhow, those are good numbers for the temps they were done in. The meth helped alot with that.
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
dfv2
STiGuy
 
dfv2's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 460
iTrader: (3)

Sorry if I missed it, were logs showing timing provided? Timing up top must be pretty conservative as the torque nose dives.
__________________
//ecg//
dfv2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
woptang22
Captain
 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

Posts: 994
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
Sorry if I missed it, were logs showing timing provided? Timing up top must be pretty conservative as the torque nose dives.
I dont believe it shows timing. But when I picked the car up he said there were no timing corrections at all. He said if I wanted to get more aggressive he could play with the timing. I want to drive the car a few days though to get a good feel for it.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
woptang22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #26
woptang22
Captain
 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

Posts: 994
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
It is possible with FBO to get 400+ whp and still be within safe territory of the turbos "specs"

Anyhow, those are good numbers for the temps they were done in. The meth helped alot with that.
I was thinking the HP #s would be higher, but like you said they were not ideal conditions. Plus he kept it on the conservative side. John at Akuma said to drive the car and if I would like to get more aggressive just to give him a call.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
woptang22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #27
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
 
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany

Posts: 2,434
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
These are very nice numbers, good to see such a visible delta between each map. It shows that the OTS maps from COBB still leave some room to work with, and that obviously a map adapted for methanol can increase the power quite a bit.

I'm currently getting "pro tuned" by Pro Tuning Freaks and am in the process of trying out a few maps which already feel quite good (no meth map yet). It's a bit more difficult in my case as I need to be remotely tuned due to the absence of pro tuning shops in Europe.

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
Audi R8 V10; sold: BMW 335i
Alpina_B3_Lux is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #28
rader1
Banned
 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

Posts: 2,197
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
I dont believe it shows timing. But when I picked the car up he said there were no timing corrections at all. He said if I wanted to get more aggressive he could play with the timing. I want to drive the car a few days though to get a good feel for it.
Do some logging and post up the logs!!!
rader1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
woptang22
Captain
 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

Posts: 994
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Do some logging and post up the logs!!!
I will definately do that. Good idea.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
woptang22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #30
woptang22
Captain
 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

Posts: 994
iTrader: (1)

It sounds like you got a good thing going on though. Remote tuning seems to be getting more popular. And Im sure you will see great results. And its good to hear that most people see the #s I got as pretty good. I guess I still have a bit more power that can be gained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
These are very nice numbers, good to see such a visible delta between each map. It shows that the OTS maps from COBB still leave some room to work with, and that obviously a map adapted for methanol can increase the power quite a bit.

I'm currently getting "pro tuned" by Pro Tuning Freaks and am in the process of trying out a few maps which already feel quite good (no meth map yet). It's a bit more difficult in my case as I need to be remotely tuned due to the absence of pro tuning shops in Europe.

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
woptang22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #31
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I'm currently getting "pro tuned" by Pro Tuning Freaks

Alpina_B3_Lux
+1 for the PTF team, can't wait to get my ProTune map made
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #32
John@Akuma
 
Drives: 2010 BMW135
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Thanks so much for the positive review. I am glad to hear you are enjoying the car.

The Dyno plots show 3 different maps for reference. This way we have a control group to analyze the gains. The maps shown are the Cobb OTS STG2, COBB OTS STG2+ Aggressive, and Akuma's protune. I did this so we could compare our dyno numbers to other dynos. A Dynojet is pretty standard as far as numbers go, but a Mustang or Dyno Dynamics can be altered with a correction factor. I figured the community had some Cobb OTS numbers so we could show the delta change and give a less subjective view of the power delivery.

We are very pleased to start doing more work in the community. I think the BMW platform has tons of potential and we are stoked to be able to finally control the DME and move into modding these cars.

We look forward to work with the community very soon. We should have a dyno day and BBQ coming up next month, so hopefully we will see you guys there.

John
John@Akuma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #33
woptang22
Captain
 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

Posts: 994
iTrader: (1)

Hey John, whats up man. Loving the car so far. The delivery of power is so much better then it was before. And the power is definately there. Im hoping something will come together to get a group buy going for the locals. Im sure everyone here would love a nice tune from Akuma. The work done was an A+ and I couldnt speak highly of these guys. Thanks again John . I hope something comes together as far as getting more BMWs into your shop.
We are very pleased to start doing more work in the community. I think the BMW platform has tons of potential and we are stoked to be able to finally control the DME and move into modding these cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@Akuma View Post
Thanks so much for the positive review. I am glad to hear you are enjoying the car.

The Dyno plots show 3 different maps for reference. This way we have a control group to analyze the gains. The maps shown are the Cobb OTS STG2, COBB OTS STG2+ Aggressive, and Akuma's protune. I did this so we could compare our dyno numbers to other dynos. A Dynojet is pretty standard as far as numbers go, but a Mustang or Dyno Dynamics can be altered with a correction factor. I figured the community had some Cobb OTS numbers so we could show the delta change and give a less subjective view of the power delivery.
Hey John, whats up man. Loving the car so far. The delivery of power is so much better then it was before. And the power is definately there. Im hoping something will come together to get a group buy going for the locals. Im sure everyone here would love a nice tune from Akuma. The work done was an A+ and I couldnt speak highly of these guys. Thanks again John . I hope something comes together as far as getting more BMWs into your shop.
We are very pleased to start doing more work in the community. I think the BMW platform has tons of potential and we are stoked to be able to finally control the DME and move into modding these cars.

We look forward to work with the community very soon. We should have a dyno day and BBQ coming up next month, so hopefully we will see you guys there.

John
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
woptang22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #34
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: toronto

Posts: 1,787
iTrader: (0)

Nice jump in power
Any baseline without tune? But with your bolt ons ?
__________________
COBB Powered, Spec2+, Wavetrac, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, Zimmerman cross drilled rotors, hawk carbon pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
marcvtec is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #35
woptang22
Captain
 
woptang22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bristol Pa

Posts: 994
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Nice jump in power
Any baseline without tune? But with your bolt ons ?
No I didnt get a baseline with just boltons. Probably should have. But I just needed my car back so I was kind of hurrying Akuma because I had no other transportation. But I should have gotten a baseline.
__________________
2009 E92 BMW M3.
woptang22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #36
roadkillrob
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,853
iTrader: (14)

Hand drawing the dyno graphs is a nice touch also
__________________

2008 E93 335i, GIAC Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1
roadkillrob is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST