E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Just the tip ;)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Sara504
Banned
United_States
351
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Just the tip ;)

No flaming me.

Not many girls I know would give up their Saturday morning manicures to be hot, sweaty, get filthy, and break a nail just to polish their tips.

Ive had my car a year this month. I've never really cleaned the exhaust BUT Im going to start keeping up with it every weekend.

I bought "Mothers" polish. I spent a good hour or more on just the tips and I still cannot get them back to day I bought her.

It says there is no need to rub hard. Rubbing the shaft it came off very easily with hardly any effort. However around the edges I cannot get it come off. I scrubbed and scrubbed pretty hard.

Do I just need to keep trying and eventually it will break off or is there another product that will break down the gunk faster?


Pics..

Before...fucking gross I know


haha during


After over an hour you can see I got most but I want it all off


Doesnt look too bad from a distance..Shaft is all nice and shiny..but still
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
DUI Elite's Avatar
22
Rep
1,714
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 SGM E90
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (4)

I have the same problem.

I get it to about as clean as you've gotten yours using just simple green and a tooth brush, but I can't get any better for the life of me.

Looks fine from a distance, but I'd rather have it perfect if I'm going through the trouble of doing it lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Sara504
Banned
United_States
351
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
I have the same problem.

I get it to about as clean as you've gotten yours using just simple green and a tooth brush, but I can't get any better for the life of me.

Looks fine from a distance, but I'd rather have it perfect if I'm going through the trouble of doing it lol.
Looking it like this is going to bother me more than before when it was black lol
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Laguna3
E90 NOOB
Canada
4
Rep
260
Posts

 
Drives: N55 E92 Msport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905

iTrader: (0)

Get some steel wool from home depot and then use the polish.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Focus
Captain
18
Rep
942
Posts

 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jersey

iTrader: (2)

#0000 grade steel wool, then polish. Done.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)




Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
No flaming me.

Not many girls I know would give up their Saturday morning manicures to be hot, sweaty, get filthy, and break a nail just to polish their tips.

Ive had my car a year this month. I've never really cleaned the exhaust BUT Im going to start keeping up with it every weekend.

I bought "Mothers" polish. I spent a good hour or more on just the tips and I still cannot get them back to day I bought her.

It says there is no need to rub hard. Rubbing the shaft it came off very easily with hardly any effort. However around the edges I cannot get it come off. I scrubbed and scrubbed pretty hard.

Do I just need to keep trying and eventually it will break off or is there another product that will break down the gunk faster?


Pics..

Before...fucking gross I know


haha during


After over an hour you can see I got most but I want it all off


Doesnt look too bad from a distance..Shaft is all nice and shiny..but still
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
ericruiz911
Captain
ericruiz911's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
674
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MIAMI, FL

iTrader: (1)

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/p...000-66130.html

pick it up and use with the polish. brush lightly and it should polish right up

i have kept mine clean. i just use Zep's citrus cleaner
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
Slow_335i's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
2,495
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Peoria IL

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [3.32]
4" black tips and you'll be set!

No more cleaning!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Sara504
Banned
United_States
351
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_335i View Post
4" black tips and you'll be set!

No more cleaning!
This!


I get a new 335is next year so Im not doing anything more to this car unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Sara504
Banned
United_States
351
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna3 View Post
Get some steel wool from home depot and then use the polish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
#0000 grade steel wool, then polish. Done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericruiz911 View Post
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/p...000-66130.html

pick it up and use with the polish. brush lightly and it should polish right up

i have kept mine clean. i just use Zep's citrus cleaner
Ok, I'll get some and let ya'll know how it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Alen E90
Major General
Alen E90's Avatar
United_States
91
Rep
8,200
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i TiAg
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SO. CAL-818 (SFV)

iTrader: (6)

in the first pic it honestly looks like you have black aftermarket tips, looked pretty sikkk IMO, but it also looks great now that its all clean, btw i love the way your car looks
__________________

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
tshoww
G
United_States
9
Rep
377
Posts

 
Drives: 09 AW e90
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_335i View Post
4" black tips and you'll be set!

No more cleaning!
this^^^
__________________
|2009| e90 335i |Alpine White|
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
SLCGoonski
Brigadier General
SLCGoonski's Avatar
43
Rep
4,221
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SLC, UT

iTrader: (4)

I went with the 3.5" black tips. Doesn't looked oversized with my mtech rear (my opinion).
__________________
SLC Goonski
08 335i e90 TiAg/Black, Premium, Sport, Step, Cold Weather, BMW Perf. shifter/e-brake, M3 lip spoiler, blacklines, aFe intake, VMR 710s, Gloss black vinyl trim, black 3.5" DiMisa tips, Procede V5, ar Design OCC, ETS 5" intercooler (black), MTech wheel, rear bumper, and side skirts, Stett CP, Forge DVs, LUX 5.1, Ground Control Coil-overs, OEM split armrest, Raceland catless DPs, BIM Coded...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
Sara504
Banned
United_States
351
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCGoonski View Post
I went with the 3.5" black tips. Doesn't looked oversized with my mtech rear (my opinion).
Can you post a photo?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
Doctor///M
Colonel
Doctor///M's Avatar
52
Rep
2,205
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3, R56 MCS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HTX

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [4.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2010 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
1000-grit sandpaper and soap water. Using the soap water while applying the sand paper to the tips gets it off really quickly. The paper particles are fine enough not to scratch the tips. GL!
__________________
2015 BMW M3 (ED 03-11-14) /l\ Austin Yellow /i\ 6MT /l\ Exec Pkg /i\ HK Audio /l\ 437M
CCA Member
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
Sara504
Banned
United_States
351
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
in the first pic it honestly looks like you have black aftermarket tips, looked pretty sikkk IMO, but it also looks great now that its all clean, btw i love the way your car looks
haha thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
SLCGoonski
Brigadier General
SLCGoonski's Avatar
43
Rep
4,221
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SLC, UT

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Can you post a photo?
Here you go...







__________________
SLC Goonski
08 335i e90 TiAg/Black, Premium, Sport, Step, Cold Weather, BMW Perf. shifter/e-brake, M3 lip spoiler, blacklines, aFe intake, VMR 710s, Gloss black vinyl trim, black 3.5" DiMisa tips, Procede V5, ar Design OCC, ETS 5" intercooler (black), MTech wheel, rear bumper, and side skirts, Stett CP, Forge DVs, LUX 5.1, Ground Control Coil-overs, OEM split armrest, Raceland catless DPs, BIM Coded...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
///Mandy
N54 <3
///Mandy's Avatar
36
Rep
1,559
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Here.

iTrader: (1)

Subscribed because I need to get this done with mine.
Please keep us updated Sara
__________________

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
59
Rep
4,693
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BayArea

iTrader: (31)

It never is just the tip...but good job.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
Shahdog
First Lieutenant
Shahdog's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
392
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i mSport Sedan E90 N55
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335i  [4.00]
To keep spotless

You literally need to be OCD and clean almost after every drive

It's crazee.


I started to again. After I installed Dimisa tips

Stopped while I had PE tips. Too ugly to polish



But the shiny dimisa tips have so far mesmerized me into determined cleaning





Try using a metal wool pad on inside

Or that green stuff used on pots at times



Good ph balanced wheel cleaner may help as well
__________________
2011 335i Space Grey Msport E90
BMW Performance Exhaust
PPK Stage I
Lux H8 , HID Fog lights 5k
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #21
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
DUI Elite's Avatar
22
Rep
1,714
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 SGM E90
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (4)

I just tried #000 synthetic steel wool.

Stuff works AMAZINGLY!

Literally like magic

before:



after:

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #22
Sara504
Banned
United_States
351
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Ok so the steel wool worked!

However sending a female into LOWES by herself was a task all in its own. Who would have thought steel wool would be found in the plumbing isle. Those workers sure had fun with me. I looked like a lost puppy in that store lol.


I now see why guys are into cars and girls are into shopping. I've ruined my nails doing this two days in a row. ((Mandy be careful love dont do this after a fresh manicure)) Im going to purchase gloves to do this with from now on. Being in the hot sun, getting sweaty and dirty. GROSS.

And of all times to swing by my house, my buddy Yodaime decided to stop by. He's never seen me more "yucky" in the two and half years we've been friends. Oh well no make up, "tarzan hair", dirt on my face. Looking really sexy there Sarie.


Oh yeah get it girl.. lol of course it rained and now my car is filthy again. Need to wash it again tonight


YAY!!!!!




Visitor!

Last edited by Sara504; 07-16-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST