E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Battery drain & Reset for new battery

08-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Mr335i
Rep

Drives: 335i

Battery drain & Reset for new battery

Evening fellas,

Haven't introduced myself yet I have recently purchased a 2007 335i Msport (pictures to follow), coming from a 2005 Impreza STI I am very impressed with the extra comfort and miles per gallon.

Anyway, Question one:

Is it normal for my battery to drain incredibly fast with the engine off, My battery has been flattened 3 times now to the point of not being able to start the car, the first time was me hoovering and cleaning the inside (constantly opening doors etc for an hour or so) then it happened twice on two separate occasions while in a garage and they opened and closed the doors a lot with the engine off.

Question two:

If I decided to buy a fancy AGM (Absorption glass mat / stop start technology) battery would I really need to reset the charging system to let it know I have fitted a new battery, and if so can it be done DIY without going to BMW.

I realize google has a lot of results for this question but I can see arguments for and against and I'd like to get some answers from the UK members.

Thankyou in advance for any advice offered.

David.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Ess
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E92 335d

For question 1, I've never heard of it. I have the D but it certainly isn't a problem I've noticed. It doesn't sound right to me! I stand to be corrected...

Question 2, no idea, sorry!
      08-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
Mr335i
Rep

Thankyou for the reply. Maybe I have a drain.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

It feels like it loves to waste energy, you unlock it and it primes the fuel pumps before the keys even in the ignition, I had to remove the sat nav disc to stop it spinning all the time, and I still have a strange knocking noise from behind the clocks despite the key not even being in the ignition (maybe I have a racoon behind my dash?)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
KrisM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Drives: F32 435D Msport

You're battery will be knackered.It may well be on its original battery ftom new.what colour is the current battery?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Mr335i
Rep

Its the original battery I'm pretty sure, I've known batteries to last as long as 12 years so the age of it shouldn't be a determining factor and I checked the battery health indicator which indicates low charge and then after its charged it indicates good battery.

If the problem persists and I still don't know whats going on I will most likely buy an AGM battery out of desperation.

I'm still unclear if the battery conditioning program or whatever its called needs to be reset after installing a new battery tho =(
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
KrisM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Again,the battery is probably on its way out.The battery's on BMW never last much more than 5 years.I change them almost daily.If the car has an IBS and a black battery it's AGM anyway.If it's white it does not.If also has an IBS an increased drain is detected by the JBE then you will get a warning coming up on the dash saying 'increased battery discharge'.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
KrisM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

A dealer can register the battery or it can be done using the inpa software online if you have a K can cable
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
Mr335i
Rep

Thanks I will look into getting a cable preemptively.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
KrisM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Worth having it for diagnostics anyway.You get them on eBay for around 30
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
old grey steve
335i E Maps Re Map, VRSF Catless DownPipes & More.
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i SE

From what your saying sounds like the battery's had its day, not long after I got mine although it started first time every time is noticed that upon unlocking my day time running lights weren't functioning as it was winter also the rear window demister wasn't operating. I'm sure my battery was the original item the eyelet was black my cars a late 2006 meaning it had lasted 6 years, which isn't bad IMP they are good for 4-5 years if used on short journeys perhaps less than 4!

When I checked sure enough my battery(drop tested + diagnostic checked with all system going) was a bit lower than I'd liked to of seen on voltage and within 24 hrs the magic discharge light popped up in the dash for the first time since I bought the car and via diagnostic a further drop had taken place since the last check, so that was it as far as I was concerned.

Changed to a nice Bosch S5 battery registered without drama everything restored. Being a std white battery mine was a non AGM setup, which yours I suspect will be being a 2007 car, therefore battery costs aren't too horrific, but check your battery re colour as I could be wrong but sounds like you've got a non AGM battery with the age of car you've got. Euro's GSF will do the battery's you'll need.

The cars priory aim in life re power, is to ensure it runs stops and functions as designed but with power issues it will shut things down and run with a basics if necessary if powers not acceptable with the battery for instance it shuts down certain functions/control units to ensure power is available to maintain the basics you don't need heated rear windows, mirrors, sat nav, phone to drive he car therefore if powers needed to ensure the car starts, drives as it should then it'll save power by closing these secondary item down.

The cars intelligent battery system/IBS cable that Kris points out is quite critical in all matters regarding electrical power distribution and will detect drain but these units as again Kris can confirm may/can fail as well (this will show up via a diagnostic check with a decent BMW Indy/Main Dealer)especially on some of the earlier cars.

We do a shed load of battery's at our place plus a few IBS cable replacements when the IBS statement is highlighted via diagnostic as having as issue. Later spec cars for instance come in to us people report various issues including non functioning stop/start again when checked you see codes re under voltage battery's changed everything works these AGM battery's IMP on the later cars are good for 3-4 years.
      08-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2007 E91 320d SE auto

I have a 2007 E91 on its original battery. It was getting a little sluggish last winter even though 'down 'yer' it didn't get very cold! If it's colder this coming winter I may need to change it.

My understanding from various forums/posts is that as long as you replace the battery with one of the same type and capacity as the original then no 'BMW coding' is required as the battery system will effectively be managing the 'same' battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
old grey steve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipper View Post
I have a 2007 E91 on its original battery. It was getting a little sluggish last winter even though 'down 'yer' it didn't get very cold! If it's colder this coming winter I may need to change it.

My understanding from various forums/posts is that as long as you replace the battery with one of the same type and capacity as the original then no 'BMW coding' is required as the battery system will effectively be managing the 'same' battery.
True like for like shouldn't prove an issue but doing what we do we always ensure this is done
      08-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
KrisM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

You need the register a new battery as the charging system is adaptive.if not registered the DME will charge the battery as if it was an older one ie more aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
old grey steve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_M79 View Post
You need the register a new battery as the charging system is adaptive.if not registered the DME will charge the battery as if it was an older one ie more aggressively.
MAybe I ddin't make it 100% clear re my previous post Kris but you're right, which is the very reason why in theory you can repalce like for like but we always register a battery(we've seen enough Halfrauds installed battery's in cars where customers can't figure out why things are happening after a year or so)for us its registraation everytime or no battery as long term you're doing the right thing by the custoemr/car and actua;;y saving them money/lost time
      08-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
KrisM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
MAybe I ddin't make it 100% clear re my previous post Kris but you're right, which is the very reason why in theory you can repalce like for like but we always register a battery(we've seen enough Halfrauds installed battery's in cars where customers can't figure out why things are happening after a year or so)for us its registraation everytime or no battery as long term you're doing the right thing by the custoemr/car and actua;;y saving them money/lost time
No mate wasn't directed at you.the guy said as long as you replace 'like for like' nothing needs done.But as you know registration is required.If you're changing up or down in amps/hour then a retrofit reprogram is required.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
old grey steve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_M79 View Post
No mate wasn't directed at you.the guy said as long as you replace 'like for like' nothing needs done.But as you know registration is required.If you're changing up or down in amps/hour then a retrofit reprogram is required.
No worries I just didn't make it clear as I posted like for like no problem, but it'll stick to past tense values re charing my fault didn't stick it up, but I wish someone would tell Halfords though still it earns us a crust
      08-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #17
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F10

I have stated this multiple times so here we go one more time.

- Coding to register new battery is MUST (as already mentioned).
- If you move from standard battery to AGM, then coding for that is MUST as well as DME charges normal battery different to AGM and vice versa.
      08-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
KrisM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
No worries I just didn't make it clear as I posted like for like no problem, but it'll stick to past tense values re charing my fault didn't stick it up, but I wish someone would tell Halfords though still it earns us a crust
Can't beat a bit of Halfrauds.Especially when they have a go at fitting e60 halo bulbs....lol
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:32 AM   #19
RomanWheelman
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Drives: E90 325i m-sport

Garage List
Many information guys thanks. Mine needs doing before winter.
Appreciate 0