E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine Light !!@!

07-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
shiccobm
Neo
Rep

Drives: 2007 335I

Engine Light !!@!

Hey everyone ,

Need some help ....

I just picked up a 2007 335i last friday , when i was driving home later than night , I got the engine light on and I felt I lost some power to the engine . The car has only 60,000 km on it when i got it and it still had one year of warranty .

So I called my dealer and they asked me to bring it in . They had to replace both Vanos on the vehicle .... is that too soon to change the vanos .... has anyone replaced the vanos here more than once.... should i be worried that this could happen again after my warranty is done ...

I am planning to keep this car for a while , best practices would be grealty appreciated
      07-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
egregor
Private
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i sedan

My VANOS solenoids started going around 45K miles myself, I don't think your experience is too far off. It's pretty much a maintenance item on this car, as they get dirty/fail eventually. Be happy you got them done under warranty!

At my dealer the replacement cost (for both) was something like $600 including labor. There are definitely worse things on the car to worry about after your warranty is up (Water pump comes to mind, I just went through that). If you'd like to keep the cost down, you could clean or replace the solenoids yourself next time they fail, I believe there is a DIY for it on the forum. But i'd say they're good well past 100,000km at this point.

Congrats on the new car!
Appreciate 0