E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > BMW service center vs private BMW specialists



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #45
kaitan
Major
kaitan's Avatar
20
Rep
1,381
Posts

 
Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

iTrader: (1)

Another question how long ago have you had the car for ?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #46
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
Zoo Tv's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E90 M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Cheers all - yes Kaitan, live locally. Lane Cove. And noticed I had listed an MY10, no - its an N54 - so definitely MY09 it is.

I've had the car since August last year, so within the 12 months warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #47
keungleung
Private
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Tv View Post
Hi all,

Need a bit of advice here on servicing. Bought a 2nd hand 2009 E90 335 with 12 month warranty (prem selection or what not) and have had the car back a few times already.

* Replaced key fob for new as it stopped operating comfort access
* Adaptive headlight failure - now that was annoying. $262 to 'diagnose' and tell me the headlight globes were about to fail, were over heating and causing the sensor to detect an adaptive failure. Upon getting the car back - threw error again. Took it back, another $216 to update to latest software. Rant rant rant - not under warranty....... (North Shore BMW Sydney).

Now - latest error. "Engine fault - Reduced Power" chestnut. Now here's my dilemma. I'd like to maintain the log books as serviced at BMW as I took out a 4 year lease and am mindful that when I go to sell the car, log books may be important to a buyer and make it easier to sell.

However.....I have researched the common causes for this error on a 335 and it appears to be either a vacuum leak, loose harness/water in harness, spark plug or coil pack. I have little appetite for paying to fix this issue and not have it covered under warranty, however - I want to maintain the log book.

Suggestions?
did you get a feedback form after your service? try complaining to BMW australia in the form

I got my bmw under premium selection, found out a month later that it had a cracked rim after slow leaks and I told them it was definitely there before I got the car! Drove it back 2 hours up to Newcastle cause they wanted to check it out since it was a "major" job and also the seat belt extender was dropping the belt so they replaced that. They "repaired" the wheel for me.

Basically in the feedback email I chucked a sh*t and complained about how I can't believe buying a BMW from them they didn't inspect the car properly and would "repair" a rim (I don't feel safe driving a once cracked rim).

Anyways, service manager rings me back few days later and goes, we got your feedback from BMW Australia, apologies for all the delays etc, but major thing "we didn't realize it wasn't to BMW Australia's standard to repair a wheel". I'm ordering a new one for you and you can getg it done at the local BMW dealer in Sydney.

If it's under warranty and you would have got it under premium selection I say you have a case complaining to BMW Australia and see if they give the dealer pressure including refunding what you've paid for an inspection cause the car was supposed to have done an 100-point inspection and you should read all the stuff on that list!

I've got a dying battery now and dealer said it's not under warranty which to me is fine cause it's wear and tear item that's meant to go over time, but if you've got an actual issue with the car itself you shouldn't have to pay for diagnoses.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #48
keungleung
Private
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Tv View Post
Cheers all - yes Kaitan, live locally. Lane Cove. And noticed I had listed an MY10, no - its an N54 - so definitely MY09 it is.

I've had the car since August last year, so within the 12 months warranty.
Oh another thing I recommend you doing. Ring BMW roadside when the car's at home and say a warning came up, you don't feel safe driving it, see if they're willing to come out. They might or might not cause it's not really a breakdown.

If they come out just get them to see if they can tell you want the problem is, but DON'T tow to a BMW workshop yet. Say you want to think about which BMW workshop you want to take it to and organize the tow another day.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #49
woosh
Colonel
woosh's Avatar
Australia
34
Rep
2,240
Posts

 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keungleung View Post
Oh another thing I recommend you doing. Ring BMW roadside when the car's at home and say a warning came up, you don't feel safe driving it, see if they're willing to come out. They might or might not cause it's not really a breakdown.

If they come out just get them to see if they can tell you want the problem is, but DON'T tow to a BMW workshop yet. Say you want to think about which BMW workshop you want to take it to and organize the tow another day.
+1 to this and the dealer complaint form. I sent BMW Aus an email too to which they replied that any further work concerning my specific issue would not be billed.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 03:31 AM   #50
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
Zoo Tv's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E90 M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
+1 to this and the dealer complaint form. I sent BMW Aus an email too to which they replied that any further work concerning my specific issue would not be billed.
Thanks for that. Tried to find the email address for BMW AUS but to no avail...only a phone number to ring could you pm me the email?

Thanks heaps everyone for helping out a new BMW owner.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #51
Zen
Captain
Australia
6
Rep
614
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney Aus

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Tv View Post
...

Now - latest error. "Engine fault - Reduced Power" chestnut. Now here's my dilemma. I'd like to maintain the log books as serviced at BMW as I took out a 4 year lease and am mindful that when I go to sell the car, log books may be important to a buyer and make it easier to sell.

However.....I have researched the common causes for this error on a 335 and it appears to be either a vacuum leak, loose harness/water in harness, spark plug or coil pack. I have little appetite for paying to fix this issue and not have it covered under warranty, however - I want to maintain the log book.

Suggestions?
With the "Engine Fault - Reduced Power", did that error message only pop up when you push the car hard (eg. sudden acceleration etc.)? If so, it could possibly be a vacuum leak issue, as my 335i had a similar problem before I took ownership.
__________________
08' E92 335I
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #52
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
Zoo Tv's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E90 M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
With the "Engine Fault - Reduced Power", did that error message only pop up when you push the car hard (eg. sudden acceleration etc.)? If so, it could possibly be a vacuum leak issue, as my 335i had a similar problem before I took ownership.
Yeah, was driving up Gladesville bridge accelerating, well , decently and happened coming down the other side of bridge. Drove it spiritedly to work this morning and no issue, so taking to dealer tomorrow and will suggest vacuum leak as my research led me that way also. Interestingly, the dealership will take the car in at a drop of a hat with that error...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #53
Zen
Captain
Australia
6
Rep
614
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney Aus

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Tv View Post
Yeah, was driving up Gladesville bridge accelerating, well , decently and happened coming down the other side of bridge. Drove it spiritedly to work this morning and no issue, so taking to dealer tomorrow and will suggest vacuum leak as my research led me that way also. Interestingly, the dealership will take the car in at a drop of a hat with that error...
Do you still have warranty on your vehicle? If not, I would take it to Advan and let Peter look at it. The part itself it's not expensive.. only a PVC pipe that will break again in a few years time, its just the diagnostic costs and time that dealership will sting you hard.

Besides, the car is driveable as the message only pops up if you "step on it".
__________________
08' E92 335I
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #54
keungleung
Private
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

i couldn't find an email either, but i got their automated survey email so...

try
customersu​rvey@bmw-em​ail.com.au (info@e.bmw-email.com.au)?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #55
kaitan
Major
kaitan's Avatar
20
Rep
1,381
Posts

 
Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Tv View Post
Cheers all - yes Kaitan, live locally. Lane Cove. And noticed I had listed an MY10, no - its an N54 - so definitely MY09 it is.

I've had the car since August last year, so within the 12 months warranty.
Come for the dyno day this sat
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #56
woosh
Colonel
woosh's Avatar
Australia
34
Rep
2,240
Posts

 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keungleung View Post
i couldn't find an email either, but i got their automated survey email so...

try
customersu​rvey@bmw-em​ail.com.au (info@e.bmw-email.com.au)?
I sent mine via info(at)bmw.com.au (was requested to do so after a quick call to BMW Melb) and received a reply via cicinfo(at)bmwgroup.com.au
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #57
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
Zoo Tv's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E90 M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Come for the dyno day this sat
.......I would but I dropped the car at the dealership this morning and don't expect it back by the weekend.........
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #58
ricko177
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 E90 330i - Monaco blue
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canberra

iTrader: (0)

In Canberra, try Anthony Costello Automotive in Fyshwick - I've found Anthony to be very knowledgeable, responsive and not outrageous on the charges.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #59
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
Zoo Tv's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E90 M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

In pleasing news, got a call from the dealer today. Vanos solenoid will be replaced (and the battery recall done) at BMW Australia's expense. And I get the car back today. Happy days.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #60
kaitan
Major
kaitan's Avatar
20
Rep
1,381
Posts

 
Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Tv View Post
In pleasing news, got a call from the dealer today. Vanos solenoid will be replaced (and the battery recall done) at BMW Australia's expense. And I get the car back today. Happy days.
so u coming tmr !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #61
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
Zoo Tv's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E90 M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Dang it - no, couldn't make it. How was the dyno day? I really need some basic coding done (usual stuff - disclaimer warning etc) so was bummed.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #62
keungleung
Private
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

can't believe this but I got quoted $450 for a battery replacement at BMW, fitted and programmed

emailed around a few of these other euro car workshops on google
shop 1 -$650
shop 2 -$700
shop 3 - $540 for lead, $720 for varta, $850 for genuine
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #63
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
Zoo Tv's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E90 M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Didnt Dr Jekl just pay $200 for a Bosch?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #64
keungleung
Private
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Tv View Post
Didnt Dr Jekl just pay $200 for a Bosch?
i think so, but his would've been supply only
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #65
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,951
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

that was fitted for an S5
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #66
woosh
Colonel
woosh's Avatar
Australia
34
Rep
2,240
Posts

 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keungleung View Post
can't believe this but I got quoted $450 for a battery replacement at BMW, fitted and programmed

emailed around a few of these other euro car workshops on google
shop 1 -$650
shop 2 -$700
shop 3 - $540 for lead, $720 for varta, $850 for genuine
Mind me asking which dealer gave you that price?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST