E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > timot's new 335i

05-12-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
timot
The new guy
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E92 335i 6MT

timot's new 335i

Hi guys,

Hopefully I'm not breaking the rules posting a new member intro in this section but figured I'd rather introduce myself to some fellow Melburnians than the whole world!

Picked up an 2006 E92 335i (non M sport) in manual from Sydney and drove it back on Saturday. Having come from a B6 S4 Avant which is an animal itself - the 335i is a different kind of animal. I just love the how readily accessible the power delivery is; turbos come on quicksmart! The inline six pot twin turbo + rear wheel drive + manual gearbox makes me think that this is basically a German Skyline. Which isn't a bad thing.

But no secondhand car is not without it's niggles, it's got the rough cold start idle - signs point to a leaky injector(s) but I need to get my hands on something like BT (or is there something better?) to scan codes and troubleshoot. Only happens when it's been sitting overnight or several hours then the idle smooths out after 30 seconds or so.

Also, I can hear what sounds like a very feint wastegate rattle. I should note that the car has done 160k on the clock and is out of warranty so I'm not sure if BMW Australia are doing any recalls or extended warranty as they do in North America.
I read a post on here regarding using the JB4 to code the wastegate values that will virtually eliminate the rattles. Eventually, will look to upgrade to RB turbos.

Previous owner had the waterpump and thermostat replaced. Not sure if the HPFP has been done but no there are no symptoms to point to a failing one.

But enough with the negativity and on with the positives!

So plan at this stage is (once all preventative maintenance is done including walnut blasting):

JB4
DCI
ER Chargepipe with DV (anyone rocking BOVs in Melbourne?)
Downpipes or full exhaust?
FMIC
BMS oil catch can
(anyone know if the 2006 models came with an oil cooler?)

With suspension, I'm undecided as I love the ride for long distances which I do every now and then. Is there a proven strut/spring combo that will retain stock ride but with with better handling? I've always heard good things about KW V3s and Bilstein PSS9s. Or would the Eibach ProKit springs be sufficient on the stock struts?

With wheels, undecided as well, but I do love the CSL wheels.

I'm still learning and understanding the BMW tuner world. There are a lot of similarities with Audi's comunity but forgive me if I'm just spouting off things I have no idea about!

Sorry for the long-ass read!
timot

P.S. I would post pics but it's not an M Sport and let's face it, no one wants to see those...haha

P.S.S Photos as per request:
http://imgur.com/a/Dy8Eg

Last edited by timot; 05-12-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Photos again
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 01:55 AM   #2
naynay
Admiral of the Fleet
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E92 335i FBO

Welcome timot. pics or ban

ps. mine is not an msport. msport doesnt mean shit when you gunna replace the suspensions and other stuff later on.

and i also drove mine back from ACT!

lol third time edit.

i got a 2006 as well and it does have an oilcooler. also rocking TIAL BOV, stett intercooler, stett intake, stett charge pipe, catless dp, jb4 and bmw performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 02:04 AM   #3
waterbottle1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Tbh majority of the guys here come from non msport
So no need be ashamed at all.

Plus naynay is rite. If ur gonna change everything whocares lol

Im also a NON msport .
=)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 02:21 AM   #4
fo55il
Banned
Australia
Rep

Welcome!

what area are you from?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 02:35 AM   #5
timot
The new guy
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay View Post
Welcome timot. pics or ban

ps. mine is not an msport. msport doesnt mean shit when you gunna replace the suspensions and other stuff later on.

and i also drove mine back from ACT!

lol third time edit.

i got a 2006 as well and it does have an oilcooler. also rocking TIAL BOV, stett intercooler, stett intake, stett charge pipe, catless dp, jb4 and bmw performance exhaust.
BRB taking pics now!
How did you find the drive from ACT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbottle1 View Post
Tbh majority of the guys here come from non msport
So no need be ashamed at all.

Plus naynay is rite. If ur gonna change everything whocares lol

Im also a NON msport .
=)
This is true. Audi's the counter part to the M Sport abstraction would be the S Line, and the community would froff over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo55il View Post
Welcome!

what area are you from?
Thanks! I'm in Tarneit. I'm assuming most guys are in the eastern suburbs?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 03:06 AM   #6
naynay
Admiral of the Fleet
Australia
Rep

the drive was exciting for the first hr or so then it became dreadful. i got home at 2am!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 04:01 AM   #7
timot
The new guy
Australia
Rep

Haha! I was exactly the same. Southern NSW is nice but once you hit northern Victoria it becomes boring and dreary.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 04:19 AM   #8
fo55il
Banned
Australia
Rep

naynay is eastie - sockie and myself are from south east.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 05:23 AM   #9
naynay
Admiral of the Fleet
Australia
Rep

im north mate.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:11 AM   #10
timot
The new guy
Australia
Rep

Photos added yo!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #11
Socket
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Hey Timo welcome mate. Congrats on the new ride, it's mandatory to document your build starting with photos of your stock car. Also black kidney grills and angel eyes upgrades are essential in the first month Lel Also classifieds section of the Aussie forum is a great place to pick up mod parts. In fact half of our cars are made up of other forum members 2nd hand parts lol. Happy modding bra
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #12
DR-JEKL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT

Congrats on the purchase! I picked up my 6mt e92 335i in Melbourne and drove her the long way home via the princes hwy around 3 years ago (wish I had found mine in Sydney!!)

Sounds like you have the right idea for mods, these days parts are so much cheaper and there is a plethora of knowledge out there as the platform really has developed in the past few years!

Be prepared to have your mind blown when you add a tune!

Also AFAIK all Aussie 335i's get the hot climate package which includes an oil cooler. And no we dont get warranty on hpfp injectors like the yanks... You can call your local dealer and ask them if there are any outstanding recalls on your car by providing your Vin # but I believe only the later models had injector recalls..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #13
Scotty89
Still giggling like a little school girl...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
The Eibach Pro kits will be perfect on the stock struts.

The Pro Kit is very modest, and has a progressive spring rate - this means it will lower you car without slamming it, and the progressive spring rates will allow comfortability over the small transient bumps, yet give you the firmness required when cornering.

The Pro kit will lower the rear about 25mm and the front about 35mm - which does not sound much, but measure that distance from the top of your wheel arches compared to your rims, and you will see it closes the gap nicely.

Skip the DCI's - they don't do much with JB4 alone, and the $100 is better spent towards new spark plugs. Get some NGK 5992's and gap them down to 0.022" (they come out the box with about 0.028" so remember to gap each one carefully!!!). They have iridium tips, so don't jam a wedging tool in there to gap them, or you will damage the iridium tips. Use the proper spark plug gapping tool and measure them carefully.

The JB4 is the about the best performance mod you will get for the money. If you get one second hand, even better - just double check all the settings when you first plug it in. Make sure to get one with the USB cable for connecting to the PC software interface - this is important for troubleshooting and datalogging!

Skip the downpipes for now - the performance gain isn't as significant, and they're a pain in the ass to install. A charge pipe with a new valve (either atmosphere vent or recirculating) is money well spent. The factory original valves will leak at >10psi, and standard is about 9psi. With a stronger, more reliable valve you will get more impact with your boost and the power/throttle won't be so spongey.

JB4 is really easy to install by yourself.
Charge pipe + valve can be installed fairly easily.
Springs are a little bit tricky, require solid flat ground, jacks and stands, and a spring compressor, but can still be installed by yourself.
Front mount intercooler is easy to install at home.
Downpipes are really hard to install at home - but can be done if you're persistent.

Hopefully you get lots of joy out of your new car and we see you about at the Melbourne meet ups! Which side of Melbourne are you?

Last edited by Scotty89; 05-12-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
naynay
Admiral of the Fleet
Australia
Rep

photos are not working mate
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #15
timot
The new guy
Australia
Rep

Apologies, Imgur wasn't working for me last night so I tried Dropbox but clearly it didn't work lol. Imgur album is now up.

Dr Jekl / Scotty, cheers for the wealth of knowledge! I love reading little bits of wisdom/experience like that. Will definitely be heeding the advice. And cheers for the welcomes.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I'm out west of Melbourne. If anyone is out this way, hit us up!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #16
fo55il
Banned
Australia
Rep

I got a lip for ur car if u want mayne.

Btw what a cute guy, got gfs pictures in car haha doki Doki
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #17
JJH_335
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT

Congrats on the 335i purchase and welcome to the forum!

+1 on the transformation with a tune, even just a simple stage 1 with the stock hardware really transforms the car. Start upgrading i/cooler and DPs and you'll have trouble wiping the smile off your face!

Agree with Dr-J that Aussie 335i all came with oil coolers - perhaps the info you came across relates to early US cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Be prepared to have your mind blown when you add a tune!

Also AFAIK all Aussie 335i's get the hot climate package which includes an oil cooler.
The Pro Kit is supposed to work well with the stock shocks/struts and it is a subtle drop but it does help get rid of the wheel gap. The ride quality is not far off stock but gives you better handling and a lowered stance. Even better if matched it up with something like Koni yellows or similar down the track; then Eibach sways if you feel you need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post
The Eibach Pro kits will be perfect on the stock struts.

The Pro Kit is very modest, and has a progressive spring rate - this means it will lower you car without slamming it, and the progressive spring rates will allow comfortability over the small transient bumps, yet give you the firmness required when cornering.
Cobb AP | PTF Pro-Tune | ER FMIC | ER CP w/Forge DVs | AR catless DP | aFe DCI | Quaife | Michelin PSS on BBS CX-R | Eibach Pro Kit on Koni Yellows | ECS Tuning 2-pc front rotors StopTech Sport rears | Akebono Ceramic pads | ECS Tuning SS lines | M3 F & R Arms | M3 rear S-F bushes | M3 steering wheel | BMWP M3 Comp carbon lip | UUC SSK + ZHP | Pedal Haus pedal set | Cyba tips | RB PCV upgrade
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #18
timot
The new guy
Australia
Rep

Thanks guys!

Haha Foss I'm just fulfilling rule 22. What lip is this you speak of??

Yeah I'm thinking that the Pro Kit would be nice place to start. But would it be worth hitting the proverbial two birds and get the Koni Yellows as well? How much does the ride and height change when pairing the two?
I've heard that the drop on the Pro Kit alone is sometimes hit or miss. As in sometimes drops nicely, other times the drop is negligible.

Good to know we've got oil coolers - I'm assuming there's no need to upgrade these unless regularly tracking?

I'm finding the gearbox to be a little sticky when switching between certain gears, particularly, 1-2 and then 4-5. I'm inclined to do a transmission oil change. Any particular reputable fluids or BMW OEM is fine?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:43 PM   #19
7smurfs
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post
Skip the DCI's - they don't do much with JB4 alone, and the $100 is better spent towards new spark plugs.
Agree on this one... in fact I'm pretty sure I've lost power as a result of the DCIs!

All you get is the cool induction noise which i'm used to from my previous JDM cars
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #20
fo55il
Banned
Australia
Rep

Check for sale thread, I can't tag u on my phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:01 AM   #21
timot
The new guy
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
Agree on this one... in fact I'm pretty sure I've lost power as a result of the DCIs!

All you get is the cool induction noise which i'm used to from my previous JDM cars
AWWWWWW but I love dat JDM noise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo55il View Post
Check for sale thread, I can't tag u on my phone.
Will do sir
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:47 AM   #22
naynay
Admiral of the Fleet
Australia
Rep

lol you car basically look exactly the same as mine when i got it.
Appreciate 0