E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Adaptive headlight failure warning

11-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
satz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i sedan

Adaptive headlight failure warning

hi all

sorry for starting another thread on the adaptive headlight failure, but looking through many other previous threads I couldn't find a couple of key things:

1. how to diagnose whether it's the right or left headlight causing the warning?
2. whether to replace the control unit helps fix this problem?

I've had this warning come up sporadically in the past, and I somehow felt it was due to car battery not being fully charged (as I do lots of short trips).

Anyway now this warning is coming up everytime I start the lights (and the cornering doesn't work).

I previously had someone in US code out the error, but what this ended up with was the headlights drooping and pointing downward permanently! For some reason he didn't think there was anything wrong with that. Anyway, I had that reversed!

cheers
      11-04-2017, 01:38 AM   #2
juld0zer
Captain
Rep
Drives: E82 135i 7DCT

Visually - park the car 1-2m from a flat uniform coloured wall such as a shopping centre carpark spot after hours and turn on your headlights to 'On', NOT auto.

The headlight that is broken is the one pointing in a weird direction (can be sky high, at the ground, or towards the middle of the car or off to one side).

The good one should point straight ahead if you imagine a line drawn directly from the projector lens to the wall.

Then switch it to auto and jump in the car, foot on brake and select D then turn your steering wheel lock to lock. Observe the beam(s) move.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
satz
Captain
Australia
Rep

hi,
the strange thing is that even when the warning appears, both headlights appear to be correctly aligned, whether in Auto or Manual headlight mode.

However, even in Auto mode they don't move with the steering wheel when the warning appears.

cheers
      11-06-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
Ken Oath
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 330d

ISTA+ will determine which ALC module is inoperative or which headlight motor did not execute during fault plan.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
satz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Wasn't sure if a code would register. Once I asked the dealership to check when I had this warning, and they said they couldn't detect a code..

cheers

S
      11-07-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
Ken Oath
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Wasn't sure if a code would register. Once I asked the dealership to check when I had this warning, and they said they couldn't detect a code..

cheers

S
You don't require a Fault code to check if the headlight's are serviceable.

In ISTA+ you can run a Service plan to check. Just type in "adaptive headlight" in a text search and the first ABL returned will provide a few different tests.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:49 AM   #7
e36mmm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Ok do this. Turn lights on to auto mode in a dark environment. When lights are lit, Twist steering wheel all the way right and then all the way left, then back to centre. Then turn all the way right, check if ur inner bulb is lit. Then turn all the way left and see if inner bulb again is lit. You have inner bulbs that turn on when turning or if steering is turned to shed light on the curbs/ footpath / pedestrians when your turning and i reckon one of those have failed.

My xenon gave up after 10 years which is normal and started to first flicker, then went pinkish and then stayed pink, same warning as yours came up. By then I already knew it was the xenon.

From what you have explained both ur xenons are working and not flickering or change shade of color, thats why I reckon its your inner bulbs that might have failed.

Another failure could be that the adaptive system that gives your headlights the dynamic movement might have failed so check that both your headlights move left and right when playing with the steering wheel movement..

Hope this helps..
P.s if you live in Melbourne, I can have a look..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
satz
Captain
Australia
Rep

hi E36, I think it is the mechanism that does the adaptive system, as when the warning comes up, the lights don't do their dynamic movement.
The cornering lights still work.

Do you know what's required to repair the adaptive system? I've read that it could be the whole headlight replacement. Not sure if it's the silver coloured module on the side of the headlight? But that's made in Japan by Mitsubishi, so unlikely to be the weak point!
      11-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #9
e36mmm
Captain
Rep

Okay so its the dynamic movement not working. Gosh sounds like you need new headlights unless the motor that controls it can be replaced. Unfortunately not sure what's required for adaptive system to be replaced. Need to do a forum search.. I'll post if i find out about how to tackle it..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 06:01 AM   #10
e36mmm
Captain
Rep

Found it..

On e90post some guy had same issue and fixed it by doing the following;

My controller under the headlight went bad. Took it out and it was corroded..smh. Checked the drivers side...perfect. dont know how the passenger side got exposed to elements but I bought an uncoded controller and now the headlight moves. The whole care has to be coded again for the adaptive to work right though. so the motor's themselves weren't broken just the electronics underneath

Diy version:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...eadlight+servo

So it can be fixed. Otherwise you need a new headlight if you can't get it fixed..

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
juld0zer
Captain
Rep
Drives: E82 135i 7DCT

Corrosion on the headlight module is usually because of water ingress. Either internally or externally.

Externally is unlikely because it is a recessed sealed connection but i have seen folded seals.
Internally occurs through housing cracks, leaks in the seam, missing access cover(s)
Appreciate 0