E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Been having a problem lately...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
sA x sKy
Sameet
sA x sKy's Avatar
Bangladesh
36
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi '11 -> M4 '15
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, New York

iTrader: (2)

Been having a problem lately...

Hey guys, I've been having an annoying problem with my car lately for the past two weeks. Please note that the car has been running fine otherwise for the past 10K miles with FBO + Meth. Replaced spark plugs at 19K and I have 24K right now.

In the last two weeks, on a cold start, my cars RPM will be slightly above 1K and the needle will blip a tiny bit. The car will make a small rev every 2-3 seconds. If I turn off the car for 30-60 seconds, and turn it back on, the car will be fine and drive perfectly fine. Also note that when the car does that mood swing, I cannot get into the command center of the the JB4. I'll smash the volume and down button to no avail.

After the car is fine again and I can get into command mode, I'll get only one code..CD87: PT-CAN communication fault: CAN bus Off or CAN bus faulty. Note that I got my DME replaced back 6-7 months ago.

Started the car today, RPM stayed a little above 1 and made the tiny rev noise every 2 seconds. I turned off the car for 10 seconds, but since I was in a hurry to catch the new Batman movie showing, turned it back on and started driving. Car would cruise then randomly lurch on me making the same noise as start up. Checked codes, and its that stupid CAN code again. There are no other codes. And Terry has no clue either as to what the problem may be.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
madmanhiker's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,565
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Fl

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
Hey guys, I've been having an annoying problem with my car lately for the past two weeks. Please note that the car has been running fine otherwise for the past 10K miles with FBO + Meth. Replaced spark plugs at 19K and I have 24K right now.

In the last two weeks, on a cold start, my cars RPM will be slightly above 1K and the needle will blip a tiny bit. The car will make a small rev every 2-3 seconds. If I turn off the car for 30-60 seconds, and turn it back on, the car will be fine and drive perfectly fine. Also note that when the car does that mood swing, I cannot get into the command center of the the JB4. I'll smash the volume and down button to no avail.

After the car is fine again and I can get into command mode, I'll get only one code..CD87: PT-CAN communication fault: CAN bus Off or CAN bus faulty. Note that I got my DME replaced back 6-7 months ago.

Started the car today, RPM stayed a little above 1 and made the tiny rev noise every 2 seconds. I turned off the car for 10 seconds, but since I was in a hurry to catch the new Batman movie showing, turned it back on and started driving. Car would cruise then randomly lurch on me making the same noise as start up. Checked codes, and its that stupid CAN code again. There are no other codes. And Terry has no clue either as to what the problem may be.
I have noted similar issues as well - and our configs are very similar. Esp the weird idle issue - but much more so on a hot start. I'd drive to the store, and come out 30-45 minutes later and my idle is very sketchy, almost stalls out! Also... the JB4 console thing... yes! I have experienced that as well. No clues on why or a fix either - it's intermittent.
__________________
-madmanhiker jax,fl
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Sejo5
Sejo5
Sejo5's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 3.5
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Caldwell NJ | Astoria NY

iTrader: (1)

Mine does that 2 and i have only the JB3 stage 1 right now and its been doing that for awhile. It only does it every once in a while i just let it do its thing and in 10 seconds it gets stabled and idles under 1k.
__________________
2013 Alpine White BMW X5 3.5 || Premium|| Cold Weather Package || Technology Package ||

SOLD!! 2011 Alpine White 335XI M-Sport E90 || BMS JB4 Stage 2 ||Flex Fuel Cable || BMS Chargepipe || BMS 3.5" Downpipe || BMS CAI || Tint 20% || BBS CH's Custom || Valentine one ||
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
sA x sKy
Sameet
sA x sKy's Avatar
Bangladesh
36
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi '11 -> M4 '15
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, New York

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
I have noted similar issues as well - and our configs are very similar. Esp the weird idle issue - but much more so on a hot start. I'd drive to the store, and come out 30-45 minutes later and my idle is very sketchy, almost stalls out! Also... the JB4 console thing... yes! I have experienced that as well. No clues on why or a fix either - it's intermittent.
Rob, I'm completely puzzled as to why this is happening. And why now? I was hoping it's because of the really hot weather but today is 60-65 degrees here in NY and it still happened. Hitting target boost and everything. Turned off auto clear and all I get is a cat code from the DP's and the CAN code.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
sA x sKy
Sameet
sA x sKy's Avatar
Bangladesh
36
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi '11 -> M4 '15
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, New York

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejo5 View Post
Mine does that 2 and i have only the JB3 stage 1 right now and its been doing that for awhile. It only does it every once in a while i just let it do its thing and in 10 seconds it gets stabled and idles under 1k.
Not for me. I let it go on for 20 seconds and it kept doing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
theriz
Colonel
United_States
28
Rep
2,868
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ventura County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335i M-Sport  [2.00]
2009 X5  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to theriz
Freakin N55!

Mines gonna blow up soon! Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
SRT14PimPin07
Captain
SRT14PimPin07's Avatar
Armenia
25
Rep
947
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Mine has actually beendoing that too. It did it less in colder weather, but now it does it almost every time I start the car. The RPM goes over 1k then rev's up to 1,300-1,000. I called my service advisor and he told me to try filling up Chevron a few times "It's better gas".

All I have is JB4 Stage 2, Injen Intake, muffler delete.
__________________
2011 Alpine White E92 335i M-Sport N55 Engine
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:19 AM   #8
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
BMW_Belgier's Avatar
Switzerland
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi n55
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Nope...

No problem here... Stock with PPK...

Could be a JB problem... Did you guys ask Mike or Terry?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Sara504
Banned
United_States
353
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theriz View Post
Freakin N55!

Mines gonna blow up soon! Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
Numa-IV
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My car has been doing this for a while now too off and on. I have 18k on the car. For the first time the other day i long cranked and the car sputtered and then stalled out at idle. I am stock engine/exhaust wise so I would bet that the issue is not related to your modifications. Of course when I was in the dealer last and brought up this issue, they said everything looked fine when they cold started it in the morning. This issue only occurs in the morning when the car is cold for me. Very embarrassing when your in the parking carage and your 335i sounds like an old POS that can't start and then sputters out.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Cuticuti
Private
0
Rep
50
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 355i sedan
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dfw, Texas

iTrader: (0)

My 100% stock 2011 335i does the same thing with cold start & rpm dancing around 1000-1200 rpm for 10 second. My car has 20k mi. I used 2 bottle of Techron gas treatment for 2 gas tanks and the problem went away for 2k miles. The issue recently came back but i have not done it again
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
sA x sKy
Sameet
sA x sKy's Avatar
Bangladesh
36
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi '11 -> M4 '15
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, New York

iTrader: (2)

It's getting worse and worse. I was driving last night, cold start, car lurched on me like crazy every few seconds. I couldn't get into JB4 command center. At one point, the car felt like I lost all power, electronically wise. Turned off the car, and all fine again..red lined to 7K in 3rd gear with 17 psi of boost, and no problems whatsoever in the sub 70 degree weather. WTF.

I'm seeing my SA tomorrow about the problem. I'm hoping the only thing that needs to be replaced is the CAN bus.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Sejo5
Sejo5
Sejo5's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 3.5
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Caldwell NJ | Astoria NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
It's getting worse and worse. I was driving last night, cold start, car lurched on me like crazy every few seconds. I couldn't get into JB4 command center. At one point, the car felt like I lost all power, electronically wise. Turned off the car, and all fine again..red lined to 7K in 3rd gear with 17 psi of boost, and no problems whatsoever in the sub 70 degree weather. WTF.

I'm seeing my SA tomorrow about the problem. I'm hoping the only thing that needs to be replaced is the CAN bus.
Your going to the Dealership with FBO and your honestly think the SA wont point it at one of your modifications?
__________________
2013 Alpine White BMW X5 3.5 || Premium|| Cold Weather Package || Technology Package ||

SOLD!! 2011 Alpine White 335XI M-Sport E90 || BMS JB4 Stage 2 ||Flex Fuel Cable || BMS Chargepipe || BMS 3.5" Downpipe || BMS CAI || Tint 20% || BBS CH's Custom || Valentine one ||
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
sA x sKy
Sameet
sA x sKy's Avatar
Bangladesh
36
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi '11 -> M4 '15
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, New York

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejo5 View Post
Your going to the Dealership with FBO and your honestly think the SA wont point it at one of your modifications?
If you had known me in the past, you would know that this particular SA is a special one.

Anyways, I've decided to take out the JB4/Meth only cos those two are related to the CAN bus.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
madmanhiker's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,565
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Fl

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
^^ good luck - let's hope this is something simple.............
__________________
-madmanhiker jax,fl
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
sA x sKy
Sameet
sA x sKy's Avatar
Bangladesh
36
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi '11 -> M4 '15
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, New York

iTrader: (2)

Dropped it off. I didn't get to see if the problem still occurs without JB4/Meth because it only happens on cold start..needless to say..8psi of boost is SLOW!

Last edited by sA x sKy; 07-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
SRT14PimPin07
Captain
SRT14PimPin07's Avatar
Armenia
25
Rep
947
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
Dropped it off. I didn't get to see if the problem still occurs without JB4/Meth because it only happens on cold start..needless to say..8psi of boost is SLOW!
Keep us updated on what they do.
__________________
2011 Alpine White E92 335i M-Sport N55 Engine
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #18
drmdvl
Private First Class
drmdvl's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
145
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
I have noted similar issues as well - and our configs are very similar. Esp the weird idle issue - but much more so on a hot start. I'd drive to the store, and come out 30-45 minutes later and my idle is very sketchy, almost stalls out! Also... the JB4 console thing... yes! I have experienced that as well. No clues on why or a fix either - it's intermittent.
This exact same thing started on my car at around 3500 miles. Never does it on a cold start. Always worse on warm startups. It would occur with and without the tune. Took it to BMW several times -- they said it was "normal". Although, I have never had it stall, sputter, or have a long crank.

Anyways - this may sound crazy, but try it. When you turn off the car to do whatever and go to start it up again, wait till it idles down to about 600-700 rpm's before putting it into gear - then it will startup fine the next time.
Always seems to work for me.

My N55 X3 just starting doing the same thing as well - about 6000 miles on the odo now.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #19
MoBounce
Turbo Love
MoBounce's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i e90 N55
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edgewater, NJ.

iTrader: (0)

My car does the strange idle up and down as well sometimes when I start it... and I have Dinan stage 2 flash. I have 3k miles
__________________
2011 E90 N55 Xdrive - Black :: Dinan Stage 2 ECU Flash :: Dinan Exhaust :: CP-E Charge Pipe :: P3 Gauge :: 18" Breyton Race GTS Wheels - Matte Black :: KW V1 Coil-Overs :: Coding Goodies :: BMW Black Grills :: LUX H8 Halos :: 15% Tint
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #20
sA x sKy
Sameet
sA x sKy's Avatar
Bangladesh
36
Rep
1,752
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi '11 -> M4 '15
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, New York

iTrader: (2)

I got the car back today from the dealership and they found nothing wrong with the car. So the only thing it could be is a JB4 board gone bad or something and Terry is graciously sending me a brand new one! T is the man.

Going to reinstall JB4/Meth back as soon as I get the new JB4 in the mail. Hoping car doesn't act up again *knock on wood*
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #21
n55PR
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
1
Rep
131
Posts

 
Drives: 335i M-sport e90
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (2)

I am having similar issues, I had posted this on Terry's forum:http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16554 but did not get any responses.

today I read codes and got the "CD87 PT-CAN communication error" code which shows up randomly, I normally just get these tuner codes: 3106, 28A0, 2C90.

My issue is random, but sounds similar to what is being reported.

Let us know how it goes with the new board!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #22
Pepe_pr
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
7
Rep
534
Posts

 
Drives: 135i black on black
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Juan PR

iTrader: (1)

What new board???? The n55 has a g5 on it to te beast of my knowledge! Lol.
__________________
USED TO HAVE A 385 whp 479 tq N55 335 2011 (AT) AND NOW A 135 M package 2010 (AT) 447whp/504tq
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST