E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > some helpful advice for BMS meth users...

07-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
some helpful advice for BMS meth users...

Folks - Just wanted to share some info with you in my troublshooting with low meth issues in my FBO setup... Terry has been phenomenal in terms of customer support and I gotta say that I am really impressed. For whatever reason, my meth setup has never really proven to me that it was actually doing anything and even after logging (countless times) my boost would appear to be "stuck" around 14-16 psi peak at WOT and I just knew something wasn't right.... Through numerous emails and GoPro videos posted on my YT page, Terry was able to pinpoint my problems and I just gotta say - he's the man!

I'll be posting videos up of the results but after this morning's testing... WOW... I feel like I am ready to get my dyno and shoot for my goal...

Here's the short end of it:
1. use the 3/25 interface and the 7/1 firmware
2. Scaling to 60, Boost Additive at 40
2. hijack ur oil temp gauge for meth flow
3. log a map 3 run @ 2000-5800 RPM and see where ur meth flow is on the gauge.
4. For me, I was showing 230-240 at WOT and I should have been showing 260-270 at WOT. This is low meth flow and this is how I knew something wasn't right.

This is what I had:

The fix.

5. Confirm a 50/50 solution of distilled water to methanol mix in WW container.

6. "Hijack" the line out of the WW bottle that had the "T" going to the pump and the WW wipers with the one-way valve. Just went straight from the WW container to the meth pump itself.

7. Drill a hole in the WW container cap (3/16" bit) so the container can vent.

8. Pulling on the WW stalk will no longer spray ur car with methanol, but it also effectively removes the ability to spray ur windshield... for me - this is acceptable - for others - this may not me - but it made a huge difference in performance. You can also prime the system in the interface my using ur laptop and clicking on the unlabeled button at the top right corner of the app.

These steps outlined about (using the SAME settings( 60 scale/40 additive) showed this result:

As you can see, I am no longer showing 230-240 on the oil temp gauge but now I show a "normal" 270-280 flow on the gauge.

This morning I changed to a 60 scale/ 55 additive and my meth gauge shows 300! and it pulls hard and strong throughout the power-band. Big time difference. I'll post another video later today showing this.... but I just had to share this information for those out there with the the BMS WW kit.

Kudos again to Terry @ BMS for the outstanding support!

R
      07-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 335xi n55

Great that you could solve your problem

I wish you a lot of fun with your new achieved horses
BMW_Belgier is offline   Switzerland
      07-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Jdub679
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe

Thumbs up

Does this suggest a problem with the one-way check valve?

Dyno time.
      07-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Slops
Major General

Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Customer service is very valuable ... directed to Vishnu
Slops is offline   South Africa
      07-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub679 View Post
Does this suggest a problem with the one-way check valve?

Dyno time.

You know, I am not sure on what exactly was the cause at this point, but I can tell you - the "out of the box" BMS WW solution as installed per the instructions - didn't work for me 100%. The steps I outlined above did.

I can also tell you that during the time I was "experimenting" with the meth kit, I ran boost juice, I ran 50/50, 60/40, 70/30 and even 100% methanol.

The one-way valve was tested and was installed correctly and basically cutting the WW wipers out of the equation AND the vent in the WW cap obviously addressed the issue. I will go ahead and re-connect the "T" again and see if it changes anything, but to your point - for now - it is indeed dyno time.

Using 50/50 mix I am pulling harder than I ever have, which makes me wonder... what would a 70/30 mix be like? I may test the waters on this, but I am waiting to hear back from Terry on a few more setting adjustments in the tune itself to tweak for best 'dyno' performance. Once I get this nailed down, I will share those as well.
      07-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Jdub679
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe

Exciting times. I hope you hit the #'s you're looking for. Definitely try a higher meth mix for your dyno, but for god's sake, use below 50% for daily driving. lol.

Instead of trying your check valve again, can you obtain a new one and try that one instead? If the pump is able to pull more fluid without the valve than with, logic should follow that there's a (mild) restriction in the system with the valve in place. I guess it's good that you don't mind you can't use your washers though.
      07-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Wow nice. Glad you fixed your problem. Dyno soon! I can't wait to see the results!

Past: 2011 335i coupe
369 whp/444 torque. (Procede, Custom Turboback Exhaust, BMS Intake, ER FMIC)
eyim1988 is offline   United_States
      07-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Everfly
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2012 135i M sport.

Damn the things you said just make me want to get meth
      06-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
jbarzelatto
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 135i Lemans

Hello.

I am having the same problem. First, let me say that your boost levels in the first video are very similar to the second video. So the gains arent that great?

back to my problem, I am having the same one as you, but worst. In your first video I see the oil gauge at 50% or more. Mine is below that, very very low. Check out my meth flow. I dont know what Im doing wrong. Also, I cant get it to purge using the software YELLOW BUTTON. I press it and nothing happens. I have an N55 btw.

When you purge pressing this yellow button, does the nozle have to be plugged in and all set up? Or should I unplug the hose and pour the meth in a cup?

thanks!
      06-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Awesome !!
+1 for terry's customer support and +1 for you sharing
WWW.EXTREMEPOWERHOUSE.COM|| Facebook Page||Android Free App
mike@x-ph.com is offline   United_States