E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e92 Heated Seat not working

10-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
muffinman991
Rep

Drives: '07 335i coupe

Question e92 Heated Seat not working

Hello all!
I recently purchased an '07 335 coupe. I traded up from a 328xi, and I gotta say, I LOVE this car!

Anyway, in my area we had our first really chilly day last week. I went to use the heated seat for the first time, and boy am I annoyed..

The heater's operation is erratic. Sometimes, when i press the button, the three green lights immediately flash on, then right off. I can push the button 10 times in a row and they will come on, i will hear a click from under the seat, then they will go right off.

Other times, the lights will stay on for ~90 seconds, and the seat will get 'warm', then the lights will go off.

Still other times, the lights will stay on, and the seat will get delightfully HOT! The heater will stay on until i turn it off or exit the car. Unfortunately, this is the most rare of the scenarios.

The caveat here is, these problems only happen with the driver's seat. The passenger's seat heater works brilliantly every time. Hey, at least my better half has a warm butt, right? :rofl:

I've dug around on this forum and bimmerfest, and haven't found anything but unresolved threads about the same issue. :mad:

I've checked all the connectors under the seat and they are all firmly connected. The power seat adjustment works perfectly, so that casts doubt on a bad electrical connection.. I've tried moving the seat around, pressing on it differently, none of it seems to make a difference. It simply 'works when it wants to'.

My question is; is there a module that has a tendency to fail that I should replace? Some have suggested that there is an internal fault in the seat's heating pad. Is there a way to verify either of those problems? The module isn't cheap, and replacing the heating pad isn't easy, so I'd really like to know what the issue is before I 'load the parts cannon'.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thank you so very much!

I took a short video more accurately describing the situation Here's the video. Its only one minute long.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
smallseafishie
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
You either have a bad seat module or a bad heating element in your seat.

For the E92's the seat modules are the same between the driver and passenger seat (not true for E90 or E91)

1) Disconnect Battery
2) Unbolt seats so you can access the module beneath.
3) Swap modules around between passenger and driver.

If problem moves with module, then get a new one. If problem stays then the issue is with the heating element.

Remember to disconnect your battery or you will trip an airbag error if you disconnect the seat module with power present.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman991 View Post
Hello all!
I recently purchased an '07 335 coupe. I traded up from a 328xi, and I gotta say, I LOVE this car!

Anyway, in my area we had our first really chilly day last week. I went to use the heated seat for the first time, and boy am I annoyed..

The heater's operation is erratic. Sometimes, when i press the button, the three green lights immediately flash on, then right off. I can push the button 10 times in a row and they will come on, i will hear a click from under the seat, then they will go right off.

Other times, the lights will stay on for ~90 seconds, and the seat will get 'warm', then the lights will go off.

Still other times, the lights will stay on, and the seat will get delightfully HOT! The heater will stay on until i turn it off or exit the car. Unfortunately, this is the most rare of the scenarios.

The caveat here is, these problems only happen with the driver's seat. The passenger's seat heater works brilliantly every time. Hey, at least my better half has a warm butt, right? :rofl:

I've dug around on this forum and bimmerfest, and haven't found anything but unresolved threads about the same issue. :mad:

I've checked all the connectors under the seat and they are all firmly connected. The power seat adjustment works perfectly, so that casts doubt on a bad electrical connection.. I've tried moving the seat around, pressing on it differently, none of it seems to make a difference. It simply 'works when it wants to'.

My question is; is there a module that has a tendency to fail that I should replace? Some have suggested that there is an internal fault in the seat's heating pad. Is there a way to verify either of those problems? The module isn't cheap, and replacing the heating pad isn't easy, so I'd really like to know what the issue is before I 'load the parts cannon'.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thank you so very much!

I took a short video more accurately describing the situation Here's the video. Its only one minute long.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/images...es/mad0260.gif
All you need is a "hot" GF and she will never complain.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:53 AM   #4
muffinman991
Rep

Drives: '07 335i coupe

I'd just like to update everyone on my findings:

What I discovered was interesting, though perhaps an anomaly.
The seats in the coupe can be folded forward to allow access to the rear bench seating, by pulling up on a handle located on the top of the seat.
If the seat is not fully 'engaged' in the locked back position, it hangs in a semi-locked state. In this state, the handle appears visually to be in the locked position, but the actual locking mechanism is not fully engaged.

I unlocked the seat, pulled it forward, then firmly pushed it back into the locked position. To my astonishment, the seat heater now functioned perfectly.
Previously, I noticed I would casually 'toss' the seat towards the rear of the car before I sat in it. When I did this again to test my results, the intermittent seat heater function was back.

If you experience the same problem I did, and you own a coupe, try unlocking the seat, pulling it forward, then firmly pushing it backwards to the locked position. I'm not sure if this is unique to my vehicle, but since I've made a habit of firmly locking the seat back, my seat heaters have functioned perfectly for two weeks now.

Hope this helps someone!
Appreciate 0