E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 6MT clutch feel after brake service

07-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
alex2112
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

6MT clutch feel after brake service

Hey guys, I recently had my front brakes replaced and my brake fluid service done at the same time at my local dealer. My car has 74k on the odometer. Since the service, I think my clutch pedal's feel has changed a bit. When depressing the pedal, the point about halfway down where the pressure feels like it's at its highest feels a little rough or "gritty" in a way. I don't hear any noises at all from the pedal or the car related to the clutch, just the feel.

Does this sound like there's air in the system or could it be something more serious (like pressure plate) and unrelated to the brakes?
      07-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
ericruiz911
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

Can you feel anything through the pedal such as vibrations?

After a brake flush, you should get a better feel off the pedal meaning its not too mooshy/mushy....however you spell it. A "grit" like feeling too it could be your slave cylinder if anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Surly73
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem

If your mechanic did it properly, your clutch would have been completely bled through as part of the process. "Most" shops (including dealers) can't be bothered and when you ask for "brake service" that's all you get.

Even when I change fluid annually I always feel a difference in the clutch after it's done. Always. Feeling a change doesn't indicate a problem, it just indicates that you needed to change that fluid (and possibly that you have a good shop ). If the pedal does not return all the way to the top or flops around in any way, then you have serious air in the system. Minor amounts of air will self-bleed from the clutch but you do need to make sure that the fluid level is high enough in the reservoir. Check a DIY thread on how to remove the cover over the brake fluid reservoir so that you can check the level.

The clutch circuit has a somewhat separate chamber in the reservoir with a wall to isolate it which goes quite high in the reservoir. This is so that you don't lose your brakes if there's a failure in the clutch circuit. On the E90 this wall seems surprisingly high compared to other cars I've wrenched on so the level needs to be right up to "max" or the clutch chamber may be insufficiently filled.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
alex2112
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Thanks for the replies. No vibrations at all, just the rough feeling at about the halfway point where the pedal pressure feel it's at it's highest. I'll check my brake fluid reservoir.