E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Why you shouldn't do 15,000 mile oil changes



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-14-2007, 11:31 PM   #23
NaViT
Banned
 
NaViT's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: N.Florida

Posts: 3,411
iTrader: (11)

wow what a disaster
NaViT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #24
hotrod182
.
 
hotrod182's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i, 06 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California

Posts: 3,461
iTrader: (0)

This may actually be a result of a failure in the crank case ventilation system.
hotrod182 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 01:24 AM   #25
karliejai
Da Kid
 
karliejai's Avatar
 
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Livingston, NJ

Posts: 4,577
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to karliejai
that is disgusting
__________________


MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
karliejai is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 03:56 AM   #26
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

Who the hell put grease in their bimm...?

It's more than obvious that this person didn't care anything about his car, if you opened my Valve cover and it looked like that I'd have it cleaned..etc.

No show after 500 is your first clue... the second is that he used Dino.

Used BMW's are no problem as long as they have documented maintenence. The best way to do il changes is change the oil yourself mid-way before a sheduled oil maint peroid.

That way instead of 12,000 miles you change it yourself ($65 bucks) at 6, miles and let the dealer do their thing at the sheduled time. ($200+). BTW the dealer just doesnt change the oil and filters for $200 they change the AC filter and other stuff I believe.






-Garrett
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 07:02 AM   #27
serge
Captain
 
serge's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ramstein, Germany / Grovetown, GA

Posts: 764
iTrader: (0)

The title of this thread has nothing to do with the pics...absolutely nothing.

If you use fully synthetic oil and you change it every 3-5k miles, that is a complete waste of money, but it sure buys you some piece of mind. However I do change the oil on my car once a year independently the mileage. (always less than 7.5k/year)
serge is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #28
BoostedBMW
Moderator
 
BoostedBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: TiAg E92 335
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 6,787
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to BoostedBMW
Wow, that is crazy. I don't think the customer ever came back because he probably dumped the car as soon as he knew that he potentially had a very large problem on his hands.
__________________
-Michael.
Berlina Black S2000 CR is now in the garage

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
BoostedBMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #29
ShinyRedCar
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: California

Posts: 367
iTrader: (0)

The OP states the car was on its 3rd owner...I wonder if the neglect started with the first one
__________________
Jeff

ShinyRedCar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #30
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (0)

To all of those suggesting this car was run on Dino oil.... I have seen a pics of 2001 330i with exactly the same type of sludge. THe pics came from a BMW Tech and the tech was able to confirm that the car had sythetic oil service everytime that the computer told the customer to... so like every 15,000 miles. Leaving oil that long leaves it extremely prone to sludge, especially in a hot running mill like a BMW.

Face it, you want an engine to run like new for ever? You're going to need more frequent oil changes than every 15,000 miles... 7,500 miles is a good interval as it combines long-life with avoidance of problems like this. On my PC at work, I have pics of an E39 540i where the owner changed the oil himself halfway between the scheduled service (7500 miles) and had the dealer do it at 15,000miles. His engine is CRAZY CLEAN and looks brand new when you take the valve cover off. I will try to post tomorrow if there is interst. Long and the short of it... new oil or new engine??

To Jon, if that kind of thing ever comes back you may need to suggest pulling the engine, doing appropriate disassembly, and soaking in carb cleaner/degreaser to get rid of the crap... I believe that Toyota has a procedure of this type for their V6 cars that had the huge sludge problems.

OH! And one more thing... those of you rocking the nice new twin turbo motor... if you think you can run oil temperatures of 230 degrees Farenheit and run oil 15,000 miles without sludge problems, I think you've got another thing coming. Any of you aware of what happened to the famous VW/Audi 1.8 Turbo engines from various Audi TT and VW Jetta/Golf/Passat? I will tell you... a bunch people had engine failures due to sludge building up and blocking oil passages and causing the motors to seaze. What did Audi/VW do? The shortened the oil service interal and made synthetic oil madatory. Yes, cars with Sythetic who ran to the scheduled interval also had problems. Excessive heat and long intervals causes sludge.
epiphone3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #31
judec
born to be turbocharged
 
judec's Avatar
 
Drives: Not a bimmer yet
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Slovakia

Posts: 1,347
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to judec Send a message via Skype™ to judec
Well, U could MAYBE maintain the 15k oil change interval when driving like grandma all the time. If driving just a lilbit more spirited like grandma's, forget about it. Making it half is a good idea, especially on forced induction cars. I dont understand the reason BMW recommends such a high interval. Only a fool would adhere it
judec is offline   Slovakia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 10:00 AM   #32
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

gotta be a leased car.........shit....if i had a leased car.....i wouldn't care to change the oil unless my dealer does it for free......every 20,000+ miles. but since i bought my car........it's every 5,000 miles.

7 quarts of Mobil1 0W40 @$5 + $10 oil filter = $45 DIY
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #33
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
 
1clean335i's Avatar
 
Drives: Project Estoril
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central Florida

Posts: 6,752
iTrader: (30)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
+1. Also, if he didn't come back after the 500mi it's pretty obvious to me that he didn't even follow 15k mi change intervals. Clueless.

I totally agree.... I've seen plenty of bmw's with over 100k miles come in at work and their valvetrain looks spotless....
__________________
'13 Estoril Blue 335i M-sport
*Don't PM me!* Message me here- http://www.facebook.com/ProjectEstoril
1clean335i is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #34
Ninjaneer
Shadow Warrior
 
Ninjaneer's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,097
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@themshop View Post
Wow $240USD really?

I am not sure how much is the customer pay oil service at the BMW centers but we charge $70.00USD for E90 models or any 6 cylinder BMW engine that uses synthetic engine oil.
Dealers in FL here charge anywhere from $80-120 for oil/filter change. $240 sounds pretty high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by de.abeja View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah but you have really fresh swiss cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
Cheese does not work in a BMW
__________________
335i E90 / Arctic / Gray / Burl Walnut / Steptronic / ZPP / ZSP / Paddles / CA / Nav / PDC / OEM Spoiler
Mods:
PIAA Angel Eyes, Rear Fog Switch, Escort X50 Blue hardwire, 30% Charcoal Llumar
Installing soon: Rear Power Outlets (Happy Robot mod!)
Ninjaneer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #35
aris214
Private
 
Drives: 1993 325i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

i change my oil every 10k with mobile one synthetic. The inside of my engine looks BRAND NEW and I have 180,000 miles on it.
__________________
1993 325i
aris214 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #36
zimbim
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Charleston,SC

Posts: 215
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 e350 Sport  [0.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I paid $110 for my oil change at 5000 miles and I'll go in for my freebie at about 11000 miles. It just makes sense to keep on it ....it's a $50,000 call for pete's sake.
__________________
e92/Black Sapphire/Coral Red/Aluminium Trim and Pedals/Sport/Luxury/Nav/Keyless/Ipod Adapter/6MT/Sirius/Turbo Tuner
zimbim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 12:35 PM   #37
mayno
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So Cal

Posts: 594
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
To all of those suggesting this car was run on Dino oil.... I have seen a pics of 2001 330i with exactly the same type of sludge. THe pics came from a BMW Tech and the tech was able to confirm that the car had sythetic oil service everytime that the computer told the customer to... so like every 15,000 miles. Leaving oil that long leaves it extremely prone to sludge, especially in a hot running mill like a BMW.

Face it, you want an engine to run like new for ever? You're going to need more frequent oil changes than every 15,000 miles... 7,500 miles is a good interval as it combines long-life with avoidance of problems like this. On my PC at work, I have pics of an E39 540i where the owner changed the oil himself halfway between the scheduled service (7500 miles) and had the dealer do it at 15,000miles. His engine is CRAZY CLEAN and looks brand new when you take the valve cover off. I will try to post tomorrow if there is interst. Long and the short of it... new oil or new engine??

To Jon, if that kind of thing ever comes back you may need to suggest pulling the engine, doing appropriate disassembly, and soaking in carb cleaner/degreaser to get rid of the crap... I believe that Toyota has a procedure of this type for their V6 cars that had the huge sludge problems.

OH! And one more thing... those of you rocking the nice new twin turbo motor... if you think you can run oil temperatures of 230 degrees Farenheit and run oil 15,000 miles without sludge problems, I think you've got another thing coming. Any of you aware of what happened to the famous VW/Audi 1.8 Turbo engines from various Audi TT and VW Jetta/Golf/Passat? I will tell you... a bunch people had engine failures due to sludge building up and blocking oil passages and causing the motors to seaze. What did Audi/VW do? The shortened the oil service interal and made synthetic oil madatory. Yes, cars with Sythetic who ran to the scheduled interval also had problems. Excessive heat and long intervals causes sludge.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...rformance.aspx

I disagree: why would Mobil 1 advertise their extended performance oil to last 15,000 miles? Don't oil companies make MORE money if we all changed our oil every 3K miles (like Jiffy Lube promotes)???

Whenever a company states a maximum (i.e. 15K), they always factor in a buffer. I wouldn't be surprised if their synth oil really lasts 18-20K, but mention 15K instead.

Synth oil is FAR SUPERIOR to dino oil and can easily last 4X to 5X longer!
mayno is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #38
mayno
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So Cal

Posts: 594
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbim View Post
I paid $110 for my oil change at 5000 miles and I'll go in for my freebie at about 11000 miles. It just makes sense to keep on it ....it's a $50,000 call for pete's sake.
you're getting raped paying that much. go to any local, reputable BMW/German independent auto repair shop and save yourself $50 maybe more. it's not rocket science...it's an oil change.
mayno is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 01:08 PM   #39
zenmaster
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: '13 AH3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 1,612
iTrader: (1)

Why would this post not go in the "DIY + Maintenance + Servicing Discussion Forum"?

Anyway, I'm now at 5000 miles and want to do an oil change soon. Anyone know a place in Atlanta that will do it correctly and fast? There is no way my dealer could do it while I waited.
zenmaster is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #40
ward
Major General
 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

Posts: 6,162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayno View Post
you're getting raped paying that much. go to any local, reputable BMW/German independent auto repair shop and save yourself $50 maybe more. it's not rocket science...it's an oil change.
keep in mind that there is an oil change, where only the oil is changed

there is also a service called and oil service where in addition to the oil swap other items are checked, refilled, serviced.... which will cost more
ward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #41
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayno View Post
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...rformance.aspx

I disagree: why would Mobil 1 advertise their extended performance oil to last 15,000 miles? Don't oil companies make MORE money if we all changed our oil every 3K miles (like Jiffy Lube promotes)???

Whenever a company states a maximum (i.e. 15K), they always factor in a buffer. I wouldn't be surprised if their synth oil really lasts 18-20K, but mention 15K instead.

Synth oil is FAR SUPERIOR to dino oil and can easily last 4X to 5X longer!
yeah... there is two things about that.

First, Mobil will obviously rather you buy their oil less often than some competitors at all, so, they can tell you that the oil will last that long and you will buy it because of the claim and the thought that you now have to take less time/hassle/money with regards to changing your oil. It is a sales feature.

Second, maybe the oil does last that long and you won't retire the engine running it that long... however, will the engine run as clean? will it be full of sludge inside and experience reduced power, increased oil burning, increased deposits, etc. The point I am making is, if you listen to that 15,000 mile stuff, will your car still be running and feeling like brand new at 100K miles like the guys who change every 7500 miles or will it be a dirty pile of crap that is still running??

Again, I say this... new oil or new engine? Especially for the 335i guys who are running 230 degrees F ? By the way, if you have 15,000 mile old oil in your car, I hope you aren't driving it past 3,500 rpm too much...
epiphone3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 09:01 PM   #42
mayno
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So Cal

Posts: 594
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
keep in mind that there is an oil change, where only the oil is changed

there is also a service called and oil service where in addition to the oil swap other items are checked, refilled, serviced.... which will cost more
I would never get an oil only change...i'm talking only about all oil & filter changes. some shops allow you to bring in your oil and filter and they charge $15-$20 for labor and disposal. that's what I do. i hate doing them myself since it's always a pain to store and drive to an oil recycling center.
mayno is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #43
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Dascamel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Posts: 1,662
iTrader: (0)

great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayno View Post
I would never get an oil only change...i'm talking only about all oil & filter changes. some shops allow you to bring in your oil and filter and they charge $15-$20 for labor and disposal. that's what I do. i hate doing them myself since it's always a pain to store and drive to an oil recycling center.
Good idea, why make a mess in your own garage/driveway. Got a free oil change with the oil cooler retrofit, this seems to be easy enough at the 7500 mile interval.
__________________
2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black,DCT,Fox Red ext,Prem,Tech,19", ipod/usb, CF roof and trim
2010 E91 328i Space Gray,Black int, M sport, most options
2007 Montego Blue 335i (retired)
Dascamel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #44
grkm3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MA

Posts: 455
iTrader: (0)

I have seen plenty M3s that were run hard with sludge problems.I change my oil every 4k and the cars runs like it did when it was new.It now has 140k on it.

My tech even told me that 15k on these engines is crazzy.BMW made it 15k because they offer free oil changes and could give a rats ass about you after there warenty is up.

If your keeping your car change the oil at 5k or so.Heck even in my manual it says thats its normal for the M3 to consume 1Q every 1500 miles.If I did what BMW recomends I would of needed to add 8 quarts before the next change.

You people are nuts if you think a turbo car can go 15k with the same oil in it.

I bet you anything that after its 5th oil change the engine will look just like the ones posted in the thread.


lol a turbo engine with 75,000 miles and only 5 oil changes...Ya that engine is going to look great lol
grkm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST