E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Hawk HPS 5.0 Review

10-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Nexic
BMW DIY'er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Hawk HPS 5.0 Review

Hello everyone,

I have made a few posts so far, mainly to sell things in the private section but this will be my first "real" post. I have been hanging around the forums for about 2 years now, utilizing the search function and DIY section. For the most part I have found exactly what I have been looking without needing to go to any other forums, I do frequent other sites however to verify an answer to my question found here.

So, a little back ground, I recently went FBO with my 2010 e90 AT Sapphire Black 335i. I have done all my own maintenance thus far (thanks DIY section!) and installed all the FBOs myself. The car currently has BMS Methanol Trunk Kit, BMS Charge Pipe, Forge DVs, CM10 nozzle, BMS JB4 G5 ISO, VRSF Downpipes (6 hour install ), VRSF FMIC, and the VRSF o2 simulator.

About a month ago I changed my front rotors and pads after I saw that my rotors were developing a lip. After weeks of searching for the best pads and rotor combo, I settled on Akebono pads and Zimmerman Rotors (i know, i know). I love the Zimmerman rotors they have been great, but I was underwhelmed with the Akebono pads. I will refrain from using the word "bite" and instead say that the pedal was too soft for my liking, too much range of motion was required to feel satisfied with the braking performance.

So a few months go by and I hoped it would get better, it did not. I decided to change my rear pads and rotors this past week and began searching again for a good pad and rotor combo. After shopping around, calling vendors, and using the search button I decided to replace the pads with Hawk HPS 5.0 Street pads all the way around. I also ordered Brembo rotors for the back. As of last week I have installed and bedded the Hawk HPS 5.0s, per Hawk's instructions, on my Zimmerman rotors (front) and Brembo rotors (rear). I have put about 250 miles on them so far and I absolutely love them.

They squeak when cold, but I expected this as they are a Semi-metallic pad. Once warmed they only make a noise when coming to a stop, the sound is the rotors and pads rubbing on each other (under 5mph, sounds like grinding) until friction stops the car, usually with a jolt when the friction hits it's highest point. Other than that, no noise. After warming the pads they respond VERY quickly, making everything in my back seat fly forward with the same pressure I would typically use for the Akebono pads. In fact the fade resistance scares me at times, where I would normally slow gradually with a certain amount of braking pressure, I now slow almost as fast as my car can accelerate lol.

The Brembo rotors look very nice and are mating with the pads nicely, the pad residue has coated very evenly and seems to be getting full contact with the rotor. The Zimmerman rotors and HPS pads are also mating very well with the same type of trails from the pads.

Overall, the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads are very solid, I have not seen very much brake dust yet and the confidence I have in stopping now feels amazing. These pads are a bit harsher than stock pads when coming to a complete stop, but I attribute that to the increased fade resistance and overall stopping power.

I recommend these pads to anyone looking for a good OEM replacement for those that drive a little spirited , as I drive very fast most of the time I am in the car. I will post an update at 1,000 miles, 5,000 miles, and 10,000 miles.

Hopefully this helps others that may be using the search function, there is not a lot of information on the HPS 5.0 pads yet.

Thanks for reading!

UPDATE:

1,000 Miles

The squeaking issue has been resolved, I discovered a rock lodged between the rotor and pad which cut out a groove on the rotor. They make absolutely no noise and have helped me stop from 100+mph with no fade.

5,000 Miles

These pads have gotten better and better as they put down a thicker layer of pad material on the rotor. The stopping power is absolutely amazing and I have never felt as if I was not getting adequate braking power for the amount of pressure I was putting down.

Last edited by Nexic; 01-23-2015 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Update
Appreciate 3
      10-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
r1concepts
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07' E90 335i

Great review! So they brake a little better than the regular HPS pads or a lot better?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Nexic
BMW DIY'er
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1concepts View Post
Great review! So they brake a little better than the regular HPS pads or a lot better?
I don't have any experience with the non 5.0 HPS pads. Before the front brake change the rotors and pads were stock. The Rears have been stock until last week.

The HPS 5.0 pads are very aggressive when you need them to be and will not back down. They seem to be very grabby, which I like a lot.
2010 335i Sapphire Black - BMS JB4 G5 / RB Turbos / BMS Trunk Meth kit / CM10 and CM5 Nozzle / VRSF Downpipes 3" v2 / VRSF 7" FMIC / BMS Charge Pipe / Forge DVs, Koni Yellow / H&R Sport / Wavetrac LSD / M3 Upper and Lower control arms / H&R sway bars
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Whateva
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [5.00]
They require the bedding process period or bedding process with aftermarket rotors?

I already have the infamous squealing from 0-20mph, but your noticing now when stopping 5mph-0?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Nexic
BMW DIY'er
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateva View Post
They require the bedding process period or bedding process with aftermarket rotors?

I already have the infamous squealing from 0-20mph, but your noticing now when stopping 5mph-0?
I would advise the bedding process period. I have a noticeable grinding noise as the car comes to a halt, as the pads come to a stop on the rotor.
2010 335i Sapphire Black - BMS JB4 G5 / RB Turbos / BMS Trunk Meth kit / CM10 and CM5 Nozzle / VRSF Downpipes 3" v2 / VRSF 7" FMIC / BMS Charge Pipe / Forge DVs, Koni Yellow / H&R Sport / Wavetrac LSD / M3 Upper and Lower control arms / H&R sway bars
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
Nexic
BMW DIY'er
United_States
Rep

Bump for update
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
ThugzZ BunnY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

have you done any mountain runs or very hard driving? would like to know how the fade is on these?

IG: @andy__wise
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
anielsen71
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E91 330dA

Garage List
I will also recomend the Hawk 5.0's
I have had them on my car for aprox 800 miles now, paired up with the Zimmermann sport rotors.
This combination is really good!

I have not abused them yet, but have had a few situations on the highway going from +200km/h to 80 km/h and absolutely no fading.
And it seems the effect is still improving :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
madbim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E90 335xi

how is the initial bite?
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #10
anielsen71
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Initial bite a little less than OEM.
But when needed they bite VERY well. Best I have had on the BMW's
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:01 AM   #11
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
Initial bite a little less than OEM.
But when needed they bite VERY well. Best I have had on the BMW's
Agreed 100%. Installed them a couple weeks ago and while the initial bite is less, there is a very linear relationship between pedal pressure and brake response. It feels like there is a limitless reserve of braking ability. The hard you press, the harder you stop.

Also - These are one of the few aftermarket pads I've had that are completely, utterly silent. Not so much as a peep, squeak, or any rubbing sound at all. Clean too.

PROcede V5Rev3+Openflash stacked, PWM Meth, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Koni's w/Swifts, Rogue, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, Alufelgen Hyperblacks, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #12
turo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i, 2009 E92 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.20]
How is the dust compared to OEM? My wife's '09 328 will be needing new pads soon and I though about finding ones similar to what I have on my 335 (less bite, but much less dust), but these seem like they may work very well.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
Agreed 100%. Installed them a couple weeks ago and while the initial bite is less, there is a very linear relationship between pedal pressure and brake response. It feels like there is a limitless reserve of braking ability. The hard you press, the harder you stop.

Also - These are one of the few aftermarket pads I've had that are completely, utterly silent. Not so much as a peep, squeak, or any rubbing sound at all. Clean too.
The hawk 5.0 were supposed to perform like the HP+ but have the noise or lack thereof of the HPS. So it seems like they got it right.

I wanted to get the Hawk 5.0 for one of my other cars that is currently on HPS but they don't make them yet.

|HPB LED Angel Eyes| |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen|Coding / PPK / Alpina
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #14
FCobra94
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Agreed. Either way, they are much better than OEM pads all the way around. The "initial bite" of OEM pads isn't all it's cracked up to be IMO. Sure, the level of "bite" is fairly immediate, but it's only there for an extremely short distance of brake pedal travel. Immediately after that "zone" the level of friction seems to fall off a cliff and the pedal ends up feeling extremely inconsistent and unpredictable for the rest of the length of pedal travel. With these Hawk pads you know exactly what you're going to get every time you step on the brakes from top pedal height to bottom given the linear feel of pressure to friction.

They definitely dust less than stock pads too. As mentioned in the past, the dust is more gray than black which helps as well. Level of dust will probably get better as I still only have ~500 miles on these right now.
Summer: Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10/15 F/R spacers
Winter: Style 159 - 17x8 ET34 - Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/50/17 - 10/15 F/R spacers
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Glad to hear more good things about HAWK, we just signed a contract with them and will be adding HAWK products to our website

Website - Facebook - Twitter - Android App - Customer Reviews
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
idk alex
@idk_alex
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
Quote:

I just installed these and have the same feelings. Would recommend for a good street pad!
      06-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #17
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
The hawk 5.0 were supposed to perform like the HP+ but have the noise or lack thereof of the HPS. So it seems like they got it right.

I wanted to get the Hawk 5.0 for one of my other cars that is currently on HPS but they don't make them yet.
My standard HPS pads do not have any noise problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
My standard HPS pads do not have any noise problems.
Right, perhaps my wording confused you but HPS are not supposed to make noise, which is why I said lack there of.

|HPB LED Angel Eyes| |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen|Coding / PPK / Alpina
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #19
dborg
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E93

I just ordered the HPS 5.0 for my E93. I will be installing them next weekend. Looking forward to the improved braking feel!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #20
madbim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E90 335xi

After hearing your guys thoughts, I'm leaning towards these pads. Now to decide on Zimmerman rotors or Brembo's with UV coating...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #21
anielsen71
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbim View Post
After hearing your guys thoughts, I'm leaning towards these pads. Now to decide on Zimmerman rotors or Brembo's with UV coating...
I went with the Zimmerman sports and is quite happy with that combination.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #22
SC335
Can't stop modding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW

Can anyone post the actual part numbers for the Zimmerman sport rotors and Hawk 5.0 for front and rear that are needed for a335i (2008)? Looking on discountbrakes.com but their are numerous part numbers and prices. �� appreciate any info. Thanks.