E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Replacing Battery but somethings wrong? Stealership lied

07-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
endlesstime
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i Coupe

Question Replacing Battery but somethings wrong? Stealership lied

Okay so I got all these warning lights to come on when i was sitting in my car and I took it to the dealer and they said I need a new battery and that someone tried to fix the IBS sensor and they would need to replace it. They told me it would be $1300 to replace the battery and sensor and I asked they guy if he would pay that much just for that and he said probably not. I know the IBS sensor doesn't need replacing because the one blue clip broke in half so I just taped the wires back together where they were. The battery however I told them I will look in to it. They told me they would keep the old battery and replace it because it was the original battery from the factory and it was time to get a new one anyway. The car is a 2007 so yeah I figured it need one. Today I went out and bought a Walmart battery after doing a lot of searching that seamed like the best battery to get without spending $250 just for the battery. I got home and put the battery in myself which was not hard at all but when I looked at the supposedly OEM battery and it said Manufactured April 2012, I knew the battery was just replace after that but why did it go out so early? I put the walmart one in a put the battery from the car on the charger. I'm just wondering how the heck that it died so fast and is there a warranty with it since it is only 3 months old? Any one know why I would have to replace it so fast?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
endlesstime
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
bmw325i
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Id probably throw the old battery back in and show it to the dealer. Whether or not they will do anything about it I have no idea though. You could also call them and explain the situation I wouldn't mention that you already replaced the battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
endlesstime
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Id probably throw the old battery back in and show it to the dealer. Whether or not they will do anything about it I have no idea though. You could also call them and explain the situation I wouldn't mention that you already replaced the battery.
I was planning on calling them soon and my car is a CPO and they would not cover the battery but I will see what they have to say about the battery being only 3 months old.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesstime View Post
I was planning on calling them soon and my car is a CPO and they would not cover the battery but I will see what they have to say about the battery being only 3 months old.
How new (to you) is your CPO? If the battery was just changed, and needs to be changed again...you have other electrical gremlins. It may be the IBS as you indicated some damage which I didn't fully understand.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
endlesstime
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
How new (to you) is your CPO? If the battery was just changed, and needs to be changed again...you have other electrical gremlins. It may be the IBS as you indicated some damage which I didn't fully understand.
The car to me is only 2 months old and the cpo runs out at the beginning of next year.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
black 335xi
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 335 i

Battery issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesstime View Post
The car to me is only 2 months old and the cpo runs out at the beginning of next year.
I have a 2010 and the battery went south on me, probably because of the aftermarket stereo I'd installed, and playing it with the car not running. Anyway, have you tried putting a voltmeter on the batter to see if it is in fact the battery? It should read at least 12.7 volts when you first shut the car off, and should be considerably higher when it's running - if the alternator is working correctly. Test the battery after the car has been idle all night - you should have at least 12.5-12.6 volts at start up. If not, it's probably the battery and not the IBS.

My car is also a CPO and the dealer told me that they would replace the battery as part of the warranty. Also, even the dealer didn't charge more than 150-160 dollars for a new battery. Tischer has IBS sensors for about the same price. I don't know how they could justify $1300 to replace both- I'd find another dealer.

Also, you do know that you have to register the new battery with the vehicle when you replace it, right? If you change anything, cold crank amps, etc. from the OEM battery, you are actually supposed to reprogram for that change. If you don't do this you can potentially create a list of electrical problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Its more than "just" the battery. That much is clear. By replacing the battery as part lf cpo pre-puchase they may be trying to hide something. In any case forget about changing the battery until the underlying problem is found/fixed or you will be changing it again in 3 mos.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
endlesstime
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black 335xi View Post
I have a 2010 and the battery went south on me, probably because of the aftermarket stereo I'd installed, and playing it with the car not running. Anyway, have you tried putting a voltmeter on the batter to see if it is in fact the battery? It should read at least 12.7 volts when you first shut the car off, and should be considerably higher when it's running - if the alternator is working correctly. Test the battery after the car has been idle all night - you should have at least 12.5-12.6 volts at start up. If not, it's probably the battery and not the IBS.

My car is also a CPO and the dealer told me that they would replace the battery as part of the warranty. Also, even the dealer didn't charge more than 150-160 dollars for a new battery. Tischer has IBS sensors for about the same price. I don't know how they could justify $1300 to replace both- I'd find another dealer.

Also, you do know that you have to register the new battery with the vehicle when you replace it, right? If you change anything, cold crank amps, etc. from the OEM battery, you are actually supposed to reprogram for that change. If you don't do this you can potentially create a list of electrical problems.
Alright I will test out the battery and read the volts and if it's the battery I will have it replaced and registered. I will let you guys know everything soon.
Appreciate 0