E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clunking noise w/ Bilstein PSS9's... PLEASE HELP!

07-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
BlackM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M5 F10

Clunking noise w/ Bilstein PSS9's... PLEASE HELP!

I had the PSS9's coilovers installed last week but i keep hearing a very annoying metallic clunking noise when I go over certain bumps. The road irregularities don't have to be deep, but if they are abrupt(sort of speak) the suspension (mostly in the front) makes this annoying sound, making the car sound really cheap. I almost feel like something is loose. Anybody has any ideas? I have done a search on this forum but I could not find a definitive answer. Some people say its normal, but i refuse to think that i just spent $2300 for the car to make this noise. Here is one of the threads i found discussing the topic:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=noise

Any help would be appreciated. I am taking the car back to the shop on Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
Its not normal, i have no clunking.
      07-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
cupspeed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

is the noise coming from the front or rear?
      07-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
BlackM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Mostly front. definitely both sides. I took down the wheels and visually checked things and everything seems to be attached properly, etc. but what do i know? It's lowered about 1.5" in the front, less in the back
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
anerbe
Major
Rep

Drives: 2013 S4

you may not have installed the blue discs that go between the spring and the perch. i had the issue with the rear of my m3. If you're missing them, get them directly from Bilstein. They'll ship it to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
jun
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335

could be a loose front sway bar endlink.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
BlackM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
you may not have installed the blue discs that go between the spring and the perch. i had the issue with the rear of my m3. If you're missing them, get them directly from Bilstein. They'll ship it to you.
Does that disc go between the top or the bottom of the spring and the car? The front actually what makes the most noise... I appreciate both of your guys help. I will take it back to the shop tomorrow and will let you know what they say.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
cupspeed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

post and pic and maybe someone else can as well to make a comparison
      07-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
anerbe
Major
Rep

Drives: 2013 S4

should go between the bottom of the spring and the adjustable perches that you use the wrenches on
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 95 Audi S6

Garage List
Mine does this on certain bumpy roads...I had my installer do a visual check and recheck tightness up front...he says everything is tight. To be honest, I am evaluating who to bring it to..and to what extent they need to disassemble and reassemble. it almost sounds like the steering is loose..but steering works fine. My shop is very knowledgeable...so I dont know what do to. I think I will go to the guy that built my roll cage in my race car..he does race car prep..and is very knowledgeable and worked with the E90 diesel racing guys. The car seems to work fine..it just makes a weird metal to metal sound over certain surfaces. Ugh.

BTW, I had Pss9s on my last Audi..and it didnt do this.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
BlackM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I went back to the shop today that installed the coilovers a week ago and spent about 3 hrs playing with different things... The metallic clunking noise ONLY appears when you go over SHARP bumps, like depressions in the street around the manholes. he checked the links/sways/etc and everything seems tight on. He thinks that since the car is lowered a fair amount that takes some of the tension off the springs and it allows them to hit the metal perch they sit on at the top. the noise became LESS noticeable after he raised the car some.
Either way, he agrees that the noise is very annoying and definitely ABNORMAL so i have an appt for next tuesday when they will take everything off the car and check.
BTW, according to him, the KW's have a way to adjust the tension on the springs separate from the height adjustment. Hopefully it will all get fixed next week. will keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
335i-SG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Lightbulb

I just installed my Pss9's. I have a similar noise from the front shocks/springs.

The sound is hard to describe. The noise and feeling is like a "movable/flexiable/elastic" part getting stuck, and then is released or "bounces back" when reaching its limit.

Happens when turning, or on elevation changes when turning at slow speeds.

I called Bilstein and was told:
"The noise is created when the spring rotates on the metal mounting bracket and hung up causing the spring to bind and then release.”

Bilstein told me to have my mechanic take a look at the upper mont area and check the "bearing washer". This alows the spring to turn so it does not get caught then release making this noise.

Something like that, im going to try to explain this to my installer this week and hope they can fix the problem.

Can anyone tell me if they figured out the fix to this issue yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks..I had thought of raising it up a bit...let me know if that is what is going on. sounds like maybe the springs may be just bouncing around in there. My Audi A4 fitment had helper springs, see photo:

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #14
BlackM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I wanted to provide some closure to this thread... I took my car back to the shop that installed the coilovers and went over everything that could be causing the noise, even put back the original suspension components just to check and IT TURNED OUT THE CLUNKING WAS COMING FROM THE BRAKE PADS/CALIPERS in the front... come to think of it the noise was NOT there when i would go over bumps while pressing on the brake... That should have been the first clue. I am going to take the car to the dealer see if they can check it out.
Also, in an aside, the rear coilovers bottomed out on me a couple times over big bumps since i had the kit installed and i ended up bending the M6 replica wheels. (bent so bad the wheels were almost eggshaped). I ended up using the HR RACE springs in the back with the rest of the PSS9 coilover kit since they give me a little more room to play (of course, that means that i can no longer adjust the height in the back).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 11:23 PM   #15
sg335
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i

I believe the stock spring ID and aftermarket ID's are the same: 2.5" or 63.5mm. So why didn't you just keep the rear adjustable perch in the rear while using the H&R rear springs?

I had noises on my Carlsson PSS9's that was caused by droop. In addition, if you would jack the car up, the springs would be loose, especially in the rear, so when you lowered the car down, it would not always seat into the perch. Therefore, while driving down the road, you would hear the terrible load noise caused by the spring re-seating itself on the adjustable perches. It was like something broke!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 12:57 AM   #16
janghs80
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E90 335i (AW)

Hey, I'm having clunking noise too but I'm with just H&R sport springs on ZSP shocks. I hear this noise from the front right side of suspension whenever I steer more than 180˚ left or right.
I also can feel the clunk through the steering wheel. This sucks.
I'm bringing my car in tomorrow to see if my dealer fix it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #17
335i-SG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Talking

Ok Guys,

I got my car back from my machanic and we fixed the problem. It was exactly what Bilstein told me it was. There was a washer that was left out at the top of the suspension causing this noise. Everything is great now.
Ride is good. Im at 6F/4R. Its still just a little bouncy at times but i do have the car set low. I might rase it up another 1/4 inch to give better travel.
I'm also thinking to set it to F8/R6 but im pretty happy with the overall setup!

Like many have stated before, proper instalation is key! Many problems that people incounter deal more with install issues.

Below is what Bilstein told me in order to fix the problem. They were very courteous on the phone and answered all my questions.

I called Bilstein and was told:
"The noise is created when the spring rotates on the metal mounting bracket and hung up causing the spring to bind and then release.”

Bilstein told me to have my mechanic take a look at the upper mont area and check the "bearing washer". This alows the spring to turn so it does not get caught then release making this noise.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #18
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the follow up...when I get the time to be able to drop it off at a knowledgeable place....I will mention this...anyone still have the installation instructions with the diagram...my installation shop threw them away by accident..

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #19
335i-SG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have a copy of the instruction booklet on pdf.

PM me you email address and ill sent it to you.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #20
speedrats
Malaysia
Rep

Drives: F30

i just installed the suspension today. My problem is i am getting rattling sound from the rear. Any help to solve this problem is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #21
18LLC
Major General
Rep

Drives: e89

oh man, looks like pss9 having lots of annoying clicking sound problem, tho...
      09-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #22
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I changed my wheels/tires to lighter ones..and all my problems went away..or so it seems. All I know is that I do not have any issue with my pss9s now.

Appreciate 0