E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Looking to Polish and wax this weekend



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
bb103
Private First Class
 
Drives: 08 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

Looking to Polish and wax this weekend

Hi I'm looking to wash/Polish/Clay Bar/Wax my car today... Dealer said they did it and if they did it's got to be the worst i've ever seen... I have usually done this in the past but my other cars have been silver and black but much cheaper cars and didn't really car to much of the cost of everything so a full detail i usually kept it around $60-$100... What suggestions do you have for detailing supply's?? If i could get it locally that would be great...

I had someone suggest a 5000-6000 grit sand paper instead of the clay bar but I'm a bit nervous for that...

I'll post pics later but right now it seems like bird droppings have burned into the paint... so I'm not sure if buffing polish/wax will fix that... some minor scratches along the driver door are there as well... I'm sure a buffing will fix that... I know that without pics this will be hard to give any info but if i need to get it repainted then i will but looking for an alternative before...

Also to add car is black.
bb103 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
bb103
Private First Class
 
Drives: 08 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

BTW if any one has a suggestion on a place that does a really good job detailing let me know as well i may go that route... I'm in the GTA/Peel Region
bb103 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
tororosso1
Private First Class
 
Drives: e90 Pre-LCI prem+sport 6mt
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

burned thru the paint? acid bird droppings


btw do your own work, self quality work. and besides its a relaxing activity. listen to music and pitcher of beer and its a mini vacation in your garage.


some cool playlist from youtube
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL362462EB7004C0BF
tororosso1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
ericruiz911
Captain
 
ericruiz911's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MIAMI, FL

Posts: 631
iTrader: (0)

-Grab a DA Polisher (Griots 6" or Porter Cable 7464xp)

-Wash the car

-Clay bar and use Speed Shine or some sort of clay lubricant

-You can either wash the car with something like Chemical Guys Citrus Cleaner or use Griots Garage Paint Prep, which works great, in order to strip he car of any waxes that weren't removed by the clay

-Tape of areas like the lights, trim, molding etc...anything but the paint.

-If it is Jet Black, then your paint is pretty soft, BSM is a bit harder which is what i have, so for deep imperfections and swirls go with a Lake Country Orange pad and M105

-Follow up with Menzerna Power Finish on a Lake Country White Pad.

-Follow with Menzerna PO85RD Finish Polish on a Lake Country Black Pad.

-Do an IPA wipe down or you can rewash the car with the Citrus Wash (DO NOT USE A CITRUS DEGREASER)

-Pick a wax or Sealant. Collinite 915 is a caranuba based wax but dam it can bring out a nice wet shine on a black car and definitely lasts longer than i had expected. You can also use sealants if you don't have the time to wax every couple months and rather hold out for 5-7 months or less.

You most likely DON'T need to wet sand you car but bird droppings ARE acidic just like the bugs on your bumper cant leave pitting in you clear.

I am by no means a professional and just started doing this on the side. i am sharing what i KNOW and HAVE done. I have a black sapphire metallic and i am very happy with the results of the following method. If i messed up anywhere, someone please correct me.

OP, you are better doing it your self. If you do not feel comfortable, then don't stress it because a lot of people don't. I'm sure you can find a reputable detailer in your area but make sure you look at reviews.

Hope this helps and the best of luck to you!
ericruiz911 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
antrot
Private First Class
 
Drives: 11 335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto/Vaughan

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb103 View Post
Hi I'm looking to wash/Polish/Clay Bar/Wax my car today... Dealer said they did it and if they did it's got to be the worst i've ever seen... I have usually done this in the past but my other cars have been silver and black but much cheaper cars and didn't really car to much of the cost of everything so a full detail i usually kept it around $60-$100... What suggestions do you have for detailing supply's?? If i could get it locally that would be great...

I had someone suggest a 5000-6000 grit sand paper instead of the clay bar but I'm a bit nervous for that...

I'll post pics later but right now it seems like bird droppings have burned into the paint... so I'm not sure if buffing polish/wax will fix that... some minor scratches along the driver door are there as well... I'm sure a buffing will fix that... I know that without pics this will be hard to give any info but if i need to get it repainted then i will but looking for an alternative before...

Also to add car is black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb103 View Post
BTW if any one has a suggestion on a place that does a really good job detailing let me know as well i may go that route... I'm in the GTA/Peel Region
If you don't have any professional experience doing this. Dont attempt this on ur own.
Bring it to a reputable detailer and get it done properly and don't cheap out.
Look up Kevin http://****************
Does excellent work and will make your car look seriously look brand new
He's in T.O gta in detail
You won't be dissapointed
antrot is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
bb103
Private First Class
 
Drives: 08 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrot View Post
If you don't have any professional experience doing this. Dont attempt this on ur own.
Bring it to a reputable detailer and get it done properly and don't cheap out.
Look up Kevin http://****************
Does excellent work and will make your car look seriously look brand new
He's in T.O gta in detail
You won't be dissapointed
can you pm me the info? can't see it in the forum
bb103 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Envious Eric
Banned
 
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: orange county, ca

Posts: 1,168
iTrader: (1)

look into "word of mouth detailing" in canada, dont know where though.
Envious Eric is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
antrot
Private First Class
 
Drives: 11 335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto/Vaughan

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb103 View Post
can you pm me the info? can't see it in the forum
PM sent
antrot is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
bb103
Private First Class
 
Drives: 08 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
look into "word of mouth detailing" in canada, dont know where though.
I don't think there is any.
bb103 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
mob17
Brigadier General
 
mob17's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Middle Land, UK

Posts: 3,536
iTrader: (4)

If you follow the brilliant guide on this forum, and DetailedImage, then you can do it yourself OP. I did mine for the first time a week ago. Will post some pics later this week.

It is hard work though.
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
mob17 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST