E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > rough ride with H&R Sport/OEM sport shocks



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Teohenwhy
Du Ma Pho Real?
 
Teohenwhy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 256
iTrader: (4)

rough ride with H&R Sport/OEM sport shocks

I installed H&R Sport springs on my car recently with my OEM shocks and the ride is bouncier than I had anticipated judging by other people's comments about the ride with this setup. Only thing I'm wondering is could it be due to the fact that I did NOT cut my bumpstops and this is causing the rough ride/ bounciness? Thanks in advance.
__________________
Teohenwhy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
obert
Lieutenant Colonel
 
obert's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 N54 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle Wa

Posts: 1,597
iTrader: (18)

I would say its because you are using the stock shocks
obert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
gzim335
Lieutenant
 
gzim335's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 e90n54-08 zx10r-lci328ix
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: staten island ny

Posts: 513
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [1.00]
check tire pressure it could be high,I have hnr paired with koni yellows n 19 inch wheels n its pretty bouncy but I can live with it so its not that bad
__________________
2007/1 e90 335i jet black

jb4 g5 iso/bb flash--afe s2 sealed/scoops--cpe dp's sec cat delete dimisa 4"--cpe ic--aa cp/bov--ww meth--fsb-koni yellow h&r sport/lightweight wheels
gzim335 is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
 
CJ421's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 3,247
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
It's because you did not change the stock dampers. The stock dampers are designed to work only with the stock springs.
The car sits lower because the H&R spring is shorter (and stiffer) than OEM; the result of that is the dampers are more compressed and have less room to move up and down. That's called damper travel. There's not enough and you're bottoming out.

Solutions:
#1: Reinstall stock springs.
#2: Get dampers that will work with your H&R springs. Koni Yellow/Sport come to mind.
#3: Sell H&R springs and buy a coilover kit, which is a damper/spring combo with adjustable ride height.

Alignment required in all cases.

Cutting the bumpstops is NOT a solution and would be IMO a worse idea than leaving them as-is. Bumpstops act as a secondary spring and prevent the damper from bottoming out; while you would regain some damper travel, you'd also make situations where the dampers compress fully (which are far more frequent now that there's less travel) more jarring. The bumpstop is cushioning you right now.

I like solution #2 if you like the drop these springs gave you.
__________________
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
turugara
Major
 
turugara's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
It's because you did not change the stock dampers. The stock dampers are designed to work only with the stock springs.
The car sits lower because the H&R spring is shorter (and stiffer) than OEM; the result of that is the dampers are more compressed and have less room to move up and down. That's called damper travel. There's not enough and you're bottoming out.

Solutions:
#1: Reinstall stock springs.
#2: Get dampers that will work with your H&R springs. Koni Yellow/Sport come to mind.
#3: Sell H&R springs and buy a coilover kit, which is a damper/spring combo with adjustable ride height.

Alignment required in all cases.

Cutting the bumpstops is NOT a solution and would be IMO a worse idea than leaving them as-is. Bumpstops act as a secondary spring and prevent the damper from bottoming out; while you would regain some damper travel, you'd also make situations where the dampers compress fully (which are far more frequent now that there's less travel) more jarring. The bumpstop is cushioning you right now.

I like solution #2 if you like the drop these springs gave you.
+1
turugara is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
DriftDreamzSS
Captain
 
DriftDreamzSS's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oxnard, Ca / Lafayette, LA

Posts: 617
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to DriftDreamzSS Send a message via Yahoo to DriftDreamzSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teohenwhy View Post
the ride is bouncier than I had anticipated judging by other people's comments about the ride with this setup.
Unfortunately you received some pretty bad info, most likely anyone that gives you a good review of aftermarket stiffer springs on stock dampers on most any chassis has no clue what they are talking about. As others have said you need springs AND shocks or a matched coilover kit, no way to cheap out and still get proper results.
__________________
_
DriftDreamzSS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Teohenwhy
Du Ma Pho Real?
 
Teohenwhy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 256
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDreamzSS View Post
no way to cheap out and still get proper results.
I'm just waiting for the OEM shocks to blow and then get the Koni yellows.
__________________
Teohenwhy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
DriftDreamzSS
Captain
 
DriftDreamzSS's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oxnard, Ca / Lafayette, LA

Posts: 617
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to DriftDreamzSS Send a message via Yahoo to DriftDreamzSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teohenwhy View Post
I'm just waiting for the OEM shocks to blow and then get the Koni yellows.
Sounds like a good plan, Koni Yellows and H&R sports are supposed to be an excellent combo from what I hear.
__________________
_
DriftDreamzSS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST