E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DCT Update Fail



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
tigerdim
New Member
Hong Kong
0
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

DCT Update Fail

I made the mistake of trying to update the DCT software myself with Winkps.

I tried flashing ZB 7848442. The first part went to 100% really quickly, but then the second update stopped at 3% and got the message "Transmisson position P possibly not available. Operate parking brake when car stationary..."

I decided to try to revert back to stock DCT ZB 7847868.
This time the second update got to 60% but stopped again and now have "Some functions or selector lever display may be faulty. Gearbox position P may not be available..."

The car starts, but I cannot put the car into gear.

I ran an error check with INPA and get:
A73D
CDB8
CD9D
CDB4
CD9E
CDB0
27EB
A0B1
A0B5
A118
E09B
E094
E097
A3AA
E1CC
9CAB
E59A
E594
E59C

ANyone have any idea? Pretty desperate.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
wildcatcrazy
Banned
wildcatcrazy's Avatar
United_States
221
Rep
1,540
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim
I made the mistake of trying to update the DCT software myself with Winkps.

I tried flashing ZB 7848442. The first part went to 100% really quickly, but then the second update stopped at 3% and got the message "Transmisson position P possibly not available. Operate parking brake when car stationary..."

I decided to try to revert back to stock DCT ZB 7847868.
This time the second update got to 60% but stopped again and now have "Some functions or selector lever display may be faulty. Gearbox position P may not be available..."

The car starts, but I cannot put the car into gear.

I ran an error check with INPA and get:
A73D
CDB8
CD9D
CDB4
CD9E
CDB0
27EB
A0B1
A0B5
A118
E09B
E094
E097
A3AA
E1CC
9CAB
E59A
E594
E59C

ANyone have any idea? Pretty desperate.
What quality of cable was used? Was cable driver set up properly (latency set to 1)? Go to functional jobs and click on status and see what it says about EGS.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:35 PM   #3
LHLK
New Member
1
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sport pkg
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

If you need another cable, here is the link
https://www.bimmerstuff.com/collecti...ith-switch-otg

this is a HK base company and should delivery the cable faster...good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
808AWD325xi's Avatar
No_Country
209
Rep
1,104
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
I made the mistake of trying to update the DCT software myself with Winkps.

I tried flashing ZB 7848442. The first part went to 100% really quickly, but then the second update stopped at 3% and got the message "Transmisson position P possibly not available. Operate parking brake when car stationary..."

I decided to try to revert back to stock DCT ZB 7847868.
This time the second update got to 60% but stopped again and now have "Some functions or selector lever display may be faulty. Gearbox position P may not be available..."

The car starts, but I cannot put the car into gear.

I ran an error check with INPA and get:
A73D
CDB8
CD9D
CDB4
CD9E
CDB0
27EB
A0B1
A0B5
A118
E09B
E094
E097
A3AA
E1CC
9CAB
E59A
E594
E59C

ANyone have any idea? Pretty desperate.
The reason that this occurred is because ZB 7848442 is not intended for your GS40 TCU. Your TCU P/N is 7642021 and that firmware is meant for P/N 7844978:
Code:
;SG-TYP: GS40
;ZB-NR  TYP-NR  HW-NR  IX SW-NR     AM          PIN S CS
7848442,0000000,7844978,A,7848443DA,0FFFFFFFFFD,000,1 O
7847868,0000000,7642021,A,7847866DA,0FFFFFFFFFD,000,1 K
This shouldn't be too difficult to recover from as your WinKFP job did not include NAAB programming (boot sector update.) You'll need to reprogram the TCU with the correct firmware in WinKFP expert mode.

The WinKFP user's guide can be found in the C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DOKU folder.
__________________
Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
tigerdim
New Member
Hong Kong
0
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the replies. Will try reprogramming the TCU and see how I go.

Forgot to mention that under EGS INPA gives me "ERROR_ECU_SERVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED".

Pretty sure the cable is OK..loks identical to the one from LHLk s post.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
tigerdim
New Member
Hong Kong
0
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Still wondering why I couldnt just reload 7847868 in Comfort mode as thats the orginal software.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
808AWD325xi's Avatar
No_Country
209
Rep
1,104
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
Thanks for the replies. Will try reprogramming the TCU and see how I go.

Forgot to mention that under EGS INPA gives me "ERROR_ECU_SERVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED".

Pretty sure the cable is OK..loks identical to the one from LHLk s post.
If you decide to try expert mode, the PABD for the GS40 is 06DKG436.ipo and the P-SGBD is 10FLASH.prg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
Still wondering why I couldnt just reload 7847868 in Comfort mode as thats the orginal software.
Typically is a situation like this, WinKFP would have thrown errors such as programming state invalid, wrong project, etc. and comfort mode won't work. You certainly try comfort mode.
__________________
Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #8
tigerdim
New Member
Hong Kong
0
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Thanks a lot.

One last question. You mention my TCU # is 7642021.
How can I double check this? Or is this standard for all E92 M3 non GTS?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
808AWD325xi's Avatar
No_Country
209
Rep
1,104
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
Thanks a lot.

One last question. You mention my TCU # is 7642021.
How can I double check this? Or is this standard for all E92 M3 non GTS?
Great question, it's something you should definitely verify. You can display all installed modules with INPA. See question 5 of my BMW Standard Tools 2.12 FAQ:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...8#post18933848
__________________
Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #10
wildcatcrazy
Banned
wildcatcrazy's Avatar
United_States
221
Rep
1,540
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
Still wondering why I couldnt just reload 7847868 in Comfort mode as thats the orginal software.
You may need to use New Flash System (NFS) emergency flash, which has a greater success in recovering partially bricked modules.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
tigerdim
New Member
Hong Kong
0
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Tried NFS Emergency flash but that also failed.

When I check the IDENT in INPA there is clearly a problem with the EGS as the part number is completely wrong "yyy******"




NFS Emergency got to 20% before failing and giving me the following messages:
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #12
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
808AWD325xi's Avatar
No_Country
209
Rep
1,104
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Can you post the NFS flash diary file (e.g. NFS246_27.DAT) and error log (e.g. ERROR.TRC) from the C:\EC-APPS\NFS\TRACE folder?

The part number being wrong is most likely a sign that one or more of the TCUs information fields has been corrupted. To diagnose this, run Tool32 and open the SGBD file DKG_90.PRG. If you haven't bricked the TCU, it should still respond to certain jobs.

I suggest running the following jobs in Tool32:
PHYSIKALISCHE_HW_NR_LESEN -- this will display the physical hardware number in the PHYSIKALISCHE_HW_NR field. Let me know the number. I can cross reference it in the KMM database to determine the proper part number independently of BMW Standard Tools.

ZIF_LESEN -- this will display the supplier information field (ZIF.) If the data is not corrupted, the currently programmed part number will be displayed in the ZIF_BMW_HW field. If the job runs, what is the part number?

ZIF_BACKUP_LESEN -- this will display the backup ZIF. If the job runs, what is the part number?

Prior to messing with NFS, did you try WinKFP expert mode? Typically this situation could have been resolved by first programming a program data set in expert mode, followed by programming a data data set in expert mode prior to reprogramming the control unit in comfort mode.
__________________
Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #13
tigerdim
New Member
Hong Kong
0
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

10.03.2016; 21:32:48; 21:36:31; 00:03:43; NFS_01; WBSKG92010E423722; --- ; 7847868; Terminal 15 ; 0; 0; 50; 0; not OK; 0.0; --- ; 0x18


10.03.2016; 20:07; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x16 7847868 Programming not ok. Fatal Error Error: Error 702: Error ECU member 702c
10.03.2016; 20:12; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x16 7847869 Programming not ok. Fatal Error Error: Error 702: Error ECU member 702c
10.03.2016; 20:16; ; Selection emergency flash ZB-No
10.03.2016; 20:17; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x12 7854376 Programming not ok. Fatal Error Error: Error 106: Error on setting ECU-Adress. Please check: Interface, PABD, P-SGBD
10.03.2016; 20:21; WBSKG92010E423722; Programming is running... Waiting for protocol User break
10.03.2016; 20:23; WBSKG92010E423722; Function: LadeFlashProtokollDatei: ZBN0000 wrong
10.03.2016; 20:23; WBSKG92010E423722; Loading flash protocol
10.03.2016; 20:24; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x18 7845773 Programming not ok. Fatal Error Error: Error 106: Error on setting ECU-Adress. Please check: Interface, PABD, P-SGBD
10.03.2016; 20:27; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x18 7642101 Programming not ok. Fatal Error Error: Error 106: Error on setting ECU-Adress. Please check: Interface, PABD, P-SGBD
10.03.2016; 20:28; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x18 7848442 Programming not ok. Fatal Error Error: Error 106: Error on setting ECU-Adress. Please check: Interface, PABD, P-SGBD
10.03.2016; 20:57; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x18 7848442 Programming not ok. Fatal Error Error: Error 106: Error on setting ECU-Adress. Please check: Interface, PABD, P-SGBD
10.03.2016; 21:01; WBSKG92010E423722; Programming is running... Waiting for protocol User break
10.03.2016; 21:02; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x18 7848442 Programming not ok. Fatal Error Error: Error 106: Error on setting ECU-Adress. Please check: Interface, PABD, P-SGBD
10.03.2016; 21:12; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x18 7848442 Programming not ok. Fatal Error Error: Error 106: Error on setting ECU-Adress. Please check: Interface, PABD, P-SGBD
10.03.2016; 21:19; WBSKG92010E423722; Programming is running... Waiting for protocol User break
10.03.2016; 21:21; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x18 7847868 Programming not ok. Fatal Error Error: Error 106: Error on setting ECU-Adress. Please check: Interface, PABD, P-SGBD
10.03.2016; 21:23; WBSKG92010E423722; Programming is running... Waiting for protocol User break
10.03.2016; 21:36; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x18 7847868 Programming not ok. Abort UIF-Info: The user info field can still be programmed 10 times Program ECU?

These are from the 2 files. I made some tests while not being connected to understand the process so some errors are just because of this. I only did one flash with the car connected.

I will run Tool32 later as suggested and try to give you the part number.

I went directly to NFS as thoight this was the easiest way in case of semi bricked modules and to be honest wasnt sure which NAAB, data and program file I needed to import.

Thanks again for your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #14
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
808AWD325xi's Avatar
No_Country
209
Rep
1,104
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
10.03.2016; 21:32:48; 21:36:31; 00:03:43; NFS_01; WBSKG92010E423722; --- ; 7847868; Terminal 15 ; 0; 0; 50; 0; not OK; 0.0; --- ; 0x18
It's missing the ECU family, instead it just shows "---'; that's odd, it should have been GS40. The other thing that's odd is it doesn't show the battery voltage, it's 0.0. The ECU address is correct, so that's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
[...]
10.03.2016; 21:23; WBSKG92010E423722; Programming is running... Waiting for protocol User break
10.03.2016; 21:36; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x18 7847868 Programming not ok. Abort UIF-Info: The user info field can still be programmed 10 times Program ECU?

These are from the 2 files. I made some tests while not being connected to understand the process so some errors are just because of this. I only did one flash with the car connected.

I will run Tool32 later as suggested and try to give you the part number.

I went directly to NFS as thoight this was the easiest way in case of semi bricked modules and to be honest wasnt sure which NAAB, data and program file I needed to import.

Thanks again for your help.
You're welcome. Once we have the part number confirmed, I can point you to the correct data and program data sets. Don't have to worry about NAAB, GS40 doesn't have any boot sector updates available.

Prior to ever attempting to flash ZB 7848442, did you confirm that the TCU originally had ZB 7847868?
__________________
Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #15
tigerdim
New Member
Hong Kong
0
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

I unfortunately cannot confirm the original ZB.
Is there a history file where I can check what was the previous version.


On a side note, is it normal to only have 10 flashes left on the ECU when this was the first time I flashed? Shouldnt the number have been around 60?
Unless previous owner flashed 50 times...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #16
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
808AWD325xi's Avatar
No_Country
209
Rep
1,104
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
I unfortunately cannot confirm the original ZB.
Is there a history file where I can check what was the previous version.


On a side note, is it normal to only have 10 flashes left on the ECU when this was the first time I flashed? Shouldnt the number have been around 60?
Unless previous owner flashed 50 times...
I'm not sure of any way to check off the top of my head.

It's not normal, I noticed that too. The previous owner must have flashed the TCU quite a number of times with UIF writes enabled.

Once you have the Tool32 information, we can confirm the part number and determine the applicable ZB numbers.
__________________
Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #17
tigerdim
New Member
Hong Kong
0
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

I managed to run the 3 jobs. Hope this is good news.








Quote:
PHYSIKALISCHE_HW_NR_LESEN -- this will display the physical hardware number in the PHYSIKALISCHE_HW_NR field
PHYSIKALISCHE_HW_NR: 7582765



Quote:
ZIF_LESEN -- this will display the supplier information field (ZIF.)
ZIF_BMW_HW: yyy******



Quote:
ZIF_BACKUP_LESEN -- this will display the backup ZIF.

ZIF_BACKUP_BMW_HW: 7642021
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #18
bigdnno98
Lieutenant Colonel
bigdnno98's Avatar
United_States
105
Rep
1,779
Posts

Drives: 335is DCT
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN

iTrader: (8)

Ouch. Did you get this figured out?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #19
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
808AWD325xi's Avatar
No_Country
209
Rep
1,104
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
I managed to run the 3 jobs. Hope this is good news.

PHYSIKALISCHE_HW_NR: 7582765

ZIF_BMW_HW: yyy******

ZIF_BACKUP_BMW_HW: 7642021
It's definitely good news, at least the TCU boot loader is alive and not bricked.

Since the backup ZIF P/N is 764201, that's encouraging as that P/N aligns with ZB 7847868 and not the original failed flash (ZB 7848442). Most likely that is the original part number.

Furthermore, there are only two ZB numbers which are compatible with P/N 7642021 and physical hardware number 7582765
  • 7847869 - US
  • 7847868 - ECE
Based on the data collected, ZB 7847868 is definitely the right ZB for your TCU.

I believe that the UIF (ZIF) P/N was corrupted during the second failed flash attempt with NFS. NFS aborted the UIF write:
Code:
10.03.2016; 21:36; WBSKG92010E423722; 0x18 7847868 Programming not ok. Abort UIF-Info: The user info field can still be programmed 10 times Program ECU?
Hopefully the aborted UIF write doesn't continue to complicate things...

My suggestion is to flash the TCU with WinKFP in expert mode. Use PABD 06DKG436.ipo and P-SGBD 10FLASH.prg. First flash the program data set 7642021A.0pa and then flash data data set A7847866.0da. Do not enable UIF writes.

Once these data sets have been flashed successfully, rerun the Tool32 job ZIF_LESEN and see if the part number is still corrupted. It should be as UIF writes were disabled.

Finally, enable UIF writes and reflash the TCU in comfort mode with ZB 7847868...at that point you'll hopefully have a working transmission as long as NFS didn't screw you too badly...

Good luck, and report back!
__________________
Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #20
tigerdim
New Member
Hong Kong
0
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

I tried to upload the program file in expert mode, got to around 30% and the connection was dropped.
Im thinking my battery charge is now getting too low and my car is unfortunately not in a place where I can charge the battery easily.

I was going to remove the battery and charge it but thought I d messed around enough now and will just have to accept my mistakes.

Got the car towed to BMW and will now just have hope they can reprogram the TCU and not try to replace it with a new one.

Thanks again for your time and help 808. I definitely learned alot from you and really disappointed couldnt get to the end of the steps you recommended.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 11:56 PM   #21
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
808AWD325xi's Avatar
No_Country
209
Rep
1,104
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdim View Post
I tried to upload the program file in expert mode, got to around 30% and the connection was dropped.
Im thinking my battery charge is now getting too low and my car is unfortunately not in a place where I can charge the battery easily.

I was going to remove the battery and charge it but thought I d messed around enough now and will just have to accept my mistakes.

Got the car towed to BMW and will now just have hope they can reprogram the TCU and not try to replace it with a new one.

Thanks again for your time and help 808. I definitely learned alot from you and really disappointed couldnt get to the end of the steps you recommended.
I'm sorry to hear that, I sympathize with your situation. For what it's worth, in my opinion, I think that there is a fair chance that they will be able to reprogram the TCU.

In the event that they have to replace it, I highly recommend getting the defective mechatronics (TCU) back from the dealer...it's worth the shipping cost to someone that would like to attempt to recover it.

Either way, please let us know how it turns out. Best wishes.
__________________
Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 02:49 AM   #22
Levanime
Levanime's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: E92 335
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
very good information

808AWD325xi

thanks
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST