E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need help with 09 n51 motor ping HELP



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-31-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
critterracing
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 09 328xi sport,premium
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: north jersey

iTrader: (0)

Need help with 09 n51 motor ping HELP

hi everyone

just bought my 09 328i xdrive,prem,sport,cold, ect about 5 weeks ago with 22k miles. now i have 27k mile. car is under warranty and cpo'ed.

n51 motor.

when cruising around motor sounds normal. as soon as i toe into it say half throttle or more it'll ping for a second or 2 then go away. its totally repeatable.

if i crawl up a steep hill at walking pace it'll ping real bad.

i drive with the windows open and this is all i hear it killing me. if im in the mountains the pinging will be constantly happening since im always on the gas.

ran 2 bottles of techron and same thing.

4 visits to the dealer and same thing.

1st visit they replaced all the exhaust lifter, go figure. same problem.

second visit they couldnt hear the ping.

3rd visit was to take service manager for a ride so he can hear it. no problem he heard it. told me he needed a week to research the problem and scheduled me for the following week.

i got a call from them after 1 full day of them having the car and they told me they couldnt reproduce the ping even though service manger heard it.

they told me they checked the gas and was at 17percent ethonal. i told them it didnt matter about the fuel because ive been to every single gas station in north jersey and no gas make a difference. they tested everything so they say and found no issues.

i drove 5k in one month listening to this trying to figure it out. no way its the gas.

so they cant fix my car and im at my wits end hear. i bought this car to drive it in the mountains around my house and this is just impossible now.

dealer said there setting up some appointment with some regional bmw tech guy who stops by the dealership every 2 weeks or so.

so i have another week of waiting before i see him.

last night i ordered new ngk plugs to try out. i pulled a couple of plugs last night and they look fine maybe alittle lean looking.

any ideas what my next move is??

i gave up on dealer and was thinking of going to VAC for a AA tune. would the tune improve this? does the tune actually richen up the fuel mixture??

the car is an 09 and was only driver about 6k a year. could this be an issue??


HELP

thanks
Aldo
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by critterracing View Post
hi everyone

just bought my 09 328i xdrive,prem,sport,cold, ect about 5 weeks ago with 22k miles. now i have 27k mile. car is under warranty and cpo'ed.

n51 motor.

when cruising around motor sounds normal. as soon as i toe into it say half throttle or more it'll ping for a second or 2 then go away. its totally repeatable.

if i crawl up a steep hill at walking pace it'll ping real bad.

i drive with the windows open and this is all i hear it killing me. if im in the mountains the pinging will be constantly happening since im always on the gas.

ran 2 bottles of techron and same thing.

4 visits to the dealer and same thing.

1st visit they replaced all the exhaust lifter, go figure. same problem.

second visit they couldnt hear the ping.

3rd visit was to take service manager for a ride so he can hear it. no problem he heard it. told me he needed a week to research the problem and scheduled me for the following week.

i got a call from them after 1 full day of them having the car and they told me they couldnt reproduce the ping even though service manger heard it.

they told me they checked the gas and was at 17percent ethonal. i told them it didnt matter about the fuel because ive been to every single gas station in north jersey and no gas make a difference. they tested everything so they say and found no issues.

i drove 5k in one month listening to this trying to figure it out. no way its the gas.

so they cant fix my car and im at my wits end hear. i bought this car to drive it in the mountains around my house and this is just impossible now.

dealer said there setting up some appointment with some regional bmw tech guy who stops by the dealership every 2 weeks or so.

so i have another week of waiting before i see him.

last night i ordered new ngk plugs to try out. i pulled a couple of plugs last night and they look fine maybe alittle lean looking.

any ideas what my next move is??

i gave up on dealer and was thinking of going to VAC for a AA tune. would the tune improve this? does the tune actually richen up the fuel mixture??

the car is an 09 and was only driver about 6k a year. could this be an issue??


HELP

thanks
Aldo
Hmm, in the same boat at the moment with my 330i (N52B30)! Going to also be replacing the spark plugs as soon as I can get the Bosch FR7NPP332 plugs - considering also eventually replacing the coil packs since my car is not 7 plus years old. But yours is still very young and also pretty low mileage!

Does yours ping also between 1800 - 2500 rpm? What about during gear changes?

Before my motorplan came to an end I did try to get the agents to sort it out, they couldn't, and now it is somewhat worse than then, so also a tad frustrated!
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
critterracing
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 09 328xi sport,premium
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: north jersey

iTrader: (0)

pretty much pings when ever im on the gas.

cars seems to like SUNOCO 93 the best. very sensitive to the fuel i use. shouldnt be this way since it has an even lower compression ratio then the n52.

i have no ping while the motor is coming up to temp.

seems to ping the most when im around 3-4k and just lay into the throttle.

when i do my plugs in a few days if they all look as number 1 and 2 looked then i would imagine the coils are good ??? anyone??
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by critterracing View Post
pretty much pings when ever im on the gas.

cars seems to like SUNOCO 93 the best. very sensitive to the fuel i use. shouldnt be this way since it has an even lower compression ratio then the n52.

i have no ping while the motor is coming up to temp.

seems to ping the most when im around 3-4k and just lay into the throttle.

when i do my plugs in a few days if they all look as number 1 and 2 looked then i would imagine the coils are good ??? anyone??
In my case running 95 Octane Unleaded, and only pings when the engine is up to temperature under partial throttle under acceleration through 1800 - 2500 rpm. But noticed it was more constant when going up a steep bumpy road the other day. Hoping that it's the spark plugs - according to my car's service records, they have never been replaced, so maybe a bit tired now!
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
critterracing
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 09 328xi sport,premium
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: north jersey

iTrader: (0)

Come on guys 64 views and no opinions.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
E90ROXS
Second Lieutenant
E90ROXS's Avatar
5
Rep
249
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterracing
Come on guys 64 views and no opinions.
What do you mean by "ping"?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
jkrew
New Member
United_States
1
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

A faulty coil pack would result in a "miss" rather then a "ping".

Is there any noticible loss in power during WOT when your hearing the ping?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
critterracing
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 09 328xi sport,premium
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: north jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
What do you mean by "ping"?
Like when you put a low grade fuel in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrew View Post
A faulty coil pack would result in a "miss" rather then a "ping".

Defiantly not a miss.

Is there any noticible loss in power during WOT when your hearing the ping?
Now loss of power. Pulls hard right to redline.

I was reading carbon build up can cause this.

Still waiting for my new spark plugs to arrive. Hoping for a quick fix lol. Ya right
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
MaximusJ
Colonel
MaximusJ's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
2,122
Posts

 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
Its a known problem on N52's. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504

If you're still under warranty, I would find the service bulletin and give them a copy
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
critterracing
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 09 328xi sport,premium
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: north jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Its a known problem on N52's. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504

If you're still under warranty, I would find the service bulletin and give them a copy
Like I stated in my original post lifter were replaced already. It's not a lifter tapping sound its a pink/knock, big difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
driverman
Captain
United_States
8
Rep
604
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Since you can reproduce it and you are under warranty, I'd call dealers in your area and see who wants to tackle it. If no luck, I'd widen the search. If that doesn't work, I'd look for the best independent shop that can diagnose it and then report the findings to a dealer so they can fix it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
leebermeister
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
43
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Have the tech check your 3 stage intake to make sure DISA valves are not loose.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #13
driverman
Captain
United_States
8
Rep
604
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Don't our engines have knock sensors? Shouldn't that prevent pinging, at least heavy pinging? Isn't that what prevents our cars from pinging badly if someone puts in lower octane gas than what's called for?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Any updates? Did the new spark plugs make any difference for you?
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #15
critterracing
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 09 328xi sport,premium
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: north jersey

iTrader: (0)

Haha still haven't put plugs in. Basically I'm living with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #16
flinchy
Colonel
39
Rep
2,864
Posts

 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

iTrader: (0)

sorry for a bit off topic.. but how the hell did you get 17% ethanol? i mean, WOW.. here we get E10 (10% MAX) and E85 (race is 85% solid, flex is 70-85% usually around 80 min), - the worst part you'd find with that is that running 17% ethanol will give you 5-10% less power outright :/

ED: can you record the sound at all? i know the lifter noise sounds like a metallic clatter (at least the one i get *sometimes* on cold start that goes away after a few minutes), but it's pretty obviously lifter noise lol
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
Three_thirty_I
Captain
Three_thirty_I's Avatar
South Africa
12
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by critterracing View Post
Haha still haven't put plugs in. Basically I'm living with it.
Well, replaced my car's plugs and although better, still pinks - maybe knock sensors...
__________________
BMW E90 330i (M) '05 (His) | (Hers) BMW E46 320i f/l (M) '03


Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST