E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Plasti Dip shark fin... Reception issues?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
BMSe92
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335xi M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 460
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Plasti Dip shark fin... Reception issues?

Thinking about wrapping my roof in CF and will need to do something with the shark fin. Want to avoid painting it in case I want to remove the wrap later.

Next best idea would be to plasti dip it matte black. Has anyone do e this? I wanna know if its going to lead to poor reception for sat radio, nav, etc.
__________________
435 X-Drive M-sport /// AW-Blk /// 20" AG M590 Bespoke /// 18% Tint /// CF Kidney Grills /// M-Performance Rear Diffusor /// CF M-Performance Trunk Spoiler /// Color Match Reflectors /// CF Shifter
BMSe92 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Tim603
Captain
 
Tim603's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manchester Nh

Posts: 931
iTrader: (2)

I did this and no issues whatsoever I actually plasti dipped it and then spray painted over the plastidip and used a clear coat to match my gloss black roof
__________________
Tim603 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
BMSe92
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335xi M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 460
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim603 View Post
I did this and no issues whatsoever I actually plasti dipped it and then spray painted over the plastidip and used a clear coat to match my gloss black roof
Perfect! Thanks!

How did the paint look over the plastidip? Did it come out looking a bit textured?
__________________
435 X-Drive M-sport /// AW-Blk /// 20" AG M590 Bespoke /// 18% Tint /// CF Kidney Grills /// M-Performance Rear Diffusor /// CF M-Performance Trunk Spoiler /// Color Match Reflectors /// CF Shifter
BMSe92 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
staplescenter
Second Lieutenant
 
staplescenter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 328i
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)

Why didn't you just apply the clear coat to the plasti dip? What's the benefit of applying a spray paint over plasti dip? I also want to see it if you have pics since I'm wrapping my roof in the near future.
staplescenter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
 
dwells's Avatar
 
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New England

Posts: 1,512
iTrader: (5)

Just wrap it - you can do it in two pieces if necessary. One piece for the back, and another single piece that goes over the top and sides. Cut it straight and you won't even notice the seam up close, much less from a foot or two away.

Also, unless you've already seen a CF roof wrap in person and like it, I would think twice. If you like the look, that's fine, but be aware that it won't look much like a real CF roof.
__________________
| 335i coupe | Monaco Blue | JB4 G5 ISO | Style 313M | Huper 40% tint | Aero lip | CSL trunk spoiler | M3 sideskirts
| Paint-matched grilles | Painted reflectors | GP Thunder II angel eyes | Smoked LED sidemarkers | Self-coded |
dwells is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
BMSe92
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335xi M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 460
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Just wrap it - you can do it in two pieces if necessary. One piece for the back, and another single piece that goes over the top and sides. Cut it straight and you won't even notice the seam up close, much less from a foot or two away.

Also, unless you've already seen a CF roof wrap in person and like it, I would think twice. If you like the look, that's fine, but be aware that it won't look much like a real CF roof.
Yea I originally wanted to do gloss black but I ordered a small piece of CF wrap for something else and vinyl giant sent me a 5'x10' roll by mistake.
Even if I do it in the CF and end up not liking it... It didn't cost me anything ya know
__________________
435 X-Drive M-sport /// AW-Blk /// 20" AG M590 Bespoke /// 18% Tint /// CF Kidney Grills /// M-Performance Rear Diffusor /// CF M-Performance Trunk Spoiler /// Color Match Reflectors /// CF Shifter
BMSe92 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
mashimarho
BMW Genius
 
mashimarho's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, michigan

Posts: 9,512
iTrader: (34)

Garage List
Try it. If it doesn't work, peel it off..
__________________

Volk///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
mashimarho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Tim603
Captain
 
Tim603's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manchester Nh

Posts: 931
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMSe92 View Post
Perfect! Thanks!

How did the paint look over the plastidip? Did it come out looking a bit textured?
It looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplescenter View Post
Why didn't you just apply the clear coat to the plasti dip? What's the benefit of applying a spray paint over plasti dip? I also want to see it if you have pics since I'm wrapping my roof in the near future.
I wanted to make sure it was glossy so I used gloss spray and a clear to be sure. Ill snap some pics after work
__________________
Tim603 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST