E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Don't you think traffic officers get to drive nice cars

08-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #45
Mikael.Aribo
Private

Drives: E90 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
If I was self-employed I'd be having this discussion on Ferrari forum

No, not Pharma thankfully, a specific set of IT products
Hahaha I hear that, Konnisegg forum for me lol.

Have you heard bad things for Pharma? this is a line I am intending to go into it. If you know anything bad, would very much appreciate any tip off.
      08-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #46
chris_s1
Major

Drives: 2012 E92 335d MSport

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [4.33]
A few of the sales guys that work for me came from Pharma. Its good money, very incentivised but they will work you like a slave and not think twice about casting you aside for any reason.
You can get stitched up with a crappy set of products to sell as a new guy coming in, which won't give you much opportunity to excel.
chris_s1 is offline   United Kingdom
      08-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #47
SO8
Lieutenant

Drives: Z4 35iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
Curious ,

Do detectives get to take the unmarked cars home or do they stay at the office, If they take them home are they taxed as we are as BIK .Are they allowed to use them to run there family around shopping etc ? slightly of topic but relevant
Our car stays at the office - one car for call outs between 20+ people. They are not personal transport. The only car I take home is my 330d

If you take the family around shopping you would get relieved from driving and done for discipline big time !
      08-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #48
SO8
Lieutenant

Drives: Z4 35iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
Plus we've already stated that we have no issues with Traff Pol having the right tools for the job but when 8 out of 10 police cars in Central London appear to be 5 series BMW's sat in traffic going nowhere fast like the rest of us, I have to wonder if that's a good use of limited Police funds.
In London traffic police form in the region of just 2% of the Mets total strength. Of those 2% of officers their cars are BMW's, Volvo's and Mitsubishi Shoguns ... not just BMW's.

8 out of 10 Met Police traffic cars are not BMW's any longer - there are a large number of Volvo D5's ... and, as stated, traffic cars form a tiny, tiny part of the Mets vehicle fleet !

Me thinks you notice BMW's as they stand out more with the markings - and you no doubt have an interest in them or you wouldn't be here
      08-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #49
scooba0010
Colonel

Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
Our car stays at the office - one car for call outs between 20+ people. They are not personal transport. The only car I take home is my 330d

If you take the family around shopping you would get relieved from driving and done for discipline big time !

Finally some positive news. Do you think some cars are a bit ott for the task? .I live in Sussex and regularly see some Young PCs looning around in a R32 and new X5 tbh if I new who to report them to Id proberbly drop them in it ,Right twats.
scooba0010 is offline   United Kingdom
      08-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #50
Mikael.Aribo
Private

Drives: E90 330i MSport

Quote:
Finally some positive news. Do you think some cars are a bit ott for the task? .I live in Sussex and regularly see some Young PCs looning around in a R32 and new X5 tbh if I new who to report them to Id proberbly drop them in it ,Right twats.
Scooba that is harsh lol. So you would report them hahaha I dont wanna get on your wrong side.
      08-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #51
scooba0010
Colonel

Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Tbh , I bet if they see you driving in the manner they do they would nick you full stop. So YES ! they drive like C----s.

In the interest off fair play and all that
scooba0010 is offline   United Kingdom
      08-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #52
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled

Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M Sport Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael.Aribo View Post
Scooba that is harsh lol. So you would report them hahaha I dont wanna get on your wrong side.
I actually like scooba idea lol

E90 LCI M SPORT BUSINESS EDITION - STAY SAFE & HAPPY MOTORING
Business edition is offline   United Kingdom
      08-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #53
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled

Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M Sport Business

Quote:
Tbh , I bet if they see you driving in the manner they do they would nick you full stop. So YES ! they drive like C----s.

In the interest off fair play and all that
That is very true mate. I agree with you all the way.

They do drive like tw*ts. People should report them. And some people have and they have got done for it.

Like you said if they saw us driving like that they would pull you over.

E90 LCI M SPORT BUSINESS EDITION - STAY SAFE & HAPPY MOTORING
Business edition is offline   United Kingdom
      08-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #54
Mart1000
Capt Slow

Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Quote:
Plus we've already stated that we have no issues with Traff Pol having the right tools for the job but when 8 out of 10 police cars in Central London appear to be 5 series BMW's sat in traffic going nowhere fast like the rest of us, I have to wonder if that's a good use of limited Police funds.
in London the most common police vehicle is a basic response car. These are either Vauxhall Astra 1.7 tdi (basic interior spec), Ford Focus 1.6 tdi (basic spec) or if your really unlucky the old shape Hyundai I30 diesel (lowest spec). All bottom spec vehicles but they serve a purpose well. I drive a 325d (one of two) due to my level of driving (as in course passed) and I can deal with protracted pursuits.

The 530d (or 525d) you see alot of (there really isn't that many) will be the armed response vehicles. They have these vehicles for several reasons. They also now have a few x5.

As someone stated, these vehicles are massively (hugely) discounted.
      08-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #55
sr2kuk
Enlisted Member

Drives: E90 M Sport

Where do u live bro? Near aston park lane??
      08-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #56
Sir_Pigley
Captain

Drives: 525d M Sport

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to Sir_Pigley
About 35 years ago I remember writing a letter to the letters page of Motor (now Autocar) questioning the use by police of Rover SD1 and Range Rovers, since they were so expensive and upmarket.

A policeman responded with arguments including:
1) residuals
2) towing requirements
3) load carrying ability
4) they were heavily discounted
5) reliability and capability to be run to high mileages without incurring excessive repair bills

I concluded at the time that these were reasonable arguments. They were then and they are today.

Cost constraints in the public sector are very tight and the police will be using their budget as wisely as they can, based upon years and years and years of experience. Anyone who thinks they are at liberty to spank silly money on unecessary cars is naiive.

As a young teenager I accepted that justificationas being basically sound.

A lot of the comments on here suggest the authors still have some growing up to do.
Sir_Pigley is offline   United Kingdom
      08-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #57
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

Quote:
I have to say that I find the Police using BMW's and other top end motors a bit off if I'm honest. It's not their money, it's the taxpayers and with the UK economy down the crapper they should

1) Stop buying premium cars and buy something cheaper.

2) Buy British, I know there aren't any mainstream British car manufacurers left but at least buy cars which are still built in this country. It will at least mean more jobs\investment for the UK automotive industry and a better investment of the tax payers money. Either that or the BIB should buy all their cars from Lotus or Mclaren :-)

Most other countries do this, sometimes we are our own worst enemy in the UK.

BMW 5 series works out to be the cheapest cars the Police have ever run.

They don't cost any more than a vauxhall or Ford equivalent and they get far more back for them at the end.
That is why they moved over.

We are our own worst enemy when it comes to buying from elsewhere, but we live in a country where we hate anyone else to do well, so business doesn't really work that well over here and hence manufacturing dies.
      08-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #58
Frobius
Captain

Drives: E91 330d M-Sport / E87 118d SE

Garage List
Here's something to bear in mind too. When the police buy a BMW, they get it already fitted up with lights and livery and a lot of the equipment already installed by BMW. What this means is that on top of the already quite frankly ridiculous discount that the vehicles are bought for, they also come with the proper manufacturers warranty. Your average Hyundai or Focus has to be fitted after purchase by a third party, the effect of this being that the warranty is voided.

Now imagine with the type of driving that most police cars get (a thorough ragging in basic terms - police driving teaches you to drive around in a gear above what you normally would do and to brake late etc) and nw think of how much is going to break and go wrong. You buy a Focus or a V70, it's going to be back at the dealer a lot costing that force a lot of money for the work. You buy an X5 and it spends no less time potentially at the dealer, but BMW pick up the bill in a great many more cases.

57 Sapphire Black E91 330d M-Sport
Privacy Glass // Leather // Heated Seats // Bluetooth // Blacklines // BMWP Gloss Black Grille // Alpine HiFi // LCI Headlights
Frobius is online now   United Kingdom