E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Pre-warranty expiration inspection

12-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
malmj
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Hey all. Relative newb to the forums, so sorry if I ask a question that's been asked/answered elsewhere.

I have a 2011 335 e90 with 46k miles, and am quickly approaching the end of my 50k / 3yr warranty, and will soon be rolling onto my CPO warranty.

The car is stock, and been serviced by BMW since new with only very minor issues. No current issues, and no codes. Before my warranty expires, I was kicking around the idea of taking my car to an indy shop for a thorough inspection to see if there is anything I should report and get repaired under warranty.

Couple of questions for you all:

1) is it a good idea to take my car to an indy shop for this? Or am I not trusting my BMW SA to find and fix things, even if I'm not aware of issues? (Other posts indicate "yes" but thought I'd ask the locals)

2) What indy shop would you recommend? I live in Erie, but work in Denver, so north metro would be ideal.

3) What's a fair price to pay for this?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
aleckzandr
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [4.22]
Personally I would stick with dealer. Maybe try a new one. Co's up in Loveland comes to mind. You say no codes, but how do you know this? Code reader (like BMWhat) or only what your dealer tells you? Since your warranty is about to expire have dealer inspect brake pads, you may get free replacement, something an Indy shop won't do for free. Don't get me wrong, I prefer BimmerHaus in Broomfield over a dealer, but only because I am not under warranty any more. Another reputable Indy is SCR Performance in Loveland.

Last edited by aleckzandr; 12-22-2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: SCR.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
malmj
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Appreciate the insight. I guess I'm just skeptical that the dealer is motivated to thoroughly inspect for problems. I've checked for codes myself with BMWhat. I see Bimmerhaus mentioned a lot in the forums. Are the the best in the area for after warranty work?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
aleckzandr
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [4.22]
You could be right about there being a conflict of interest, but I don't think so. Keeping a customer happy means they keeping coming back for repairs and maybe even buy a 2nd or 3rd car. As a dealer I don't think it makes a difference $wise if they do repairs that are paid by BMW CPO or by your wallet.

>Are they [BimmerHaus] the best in the area for after warranty work?
I think so. They have a lot experience, have never let me down, and aren't afraid to call a spade a spade (read:no BS and will even dissuade work done if they don't think it's necessary).

>3) What's a fair price to pay for this?
Missed that one. I really don't know.

Disclosure: I don't have extended warranty either, I just didn't think it was worth it considering they didn't cover the things I wanted done - that I just do myself anyways.