E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Catted downpipes?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
AndyR83
Major
AndyR83's Avatar
14
Rep
1,025
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i FBO
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (5)

Catted downpipes?

I currently own a bone-stock E92 335. I'm about to buy a JB4/DCI combo and start getting some mods done. One of the things that seems to be an early mod is the installation of downpipes. I'm all for this, but I have one problem: I need my car to still pass emissions testing. My state (PA) doesn't have a "sniffer" test, they just check for codes. Since I want to stay legal, I've been looking at the catted downpipes instead of traditional catless. They seem to be a lot more expensive, which makes sense I suppose. Can anybody comment on the performance gains achieved with catted downpipes as compared to the catless kind? I'd hate to drop a wad of money on something that won't have much impact on performance.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
gzim335
Captain
gzim335's Avatar
Montenegro
11
Rep
661
Posts

 
Drives: 07 e90n54-08 zx10r-lci328ix
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: staten island ny

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007/1 e90 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83 View Post
I currently own a bone-stock E92 335. I'm about to buy a JB4/DCI combo and start getting some mods done. One of the things that seems to be an early mod is the installation of downpipes. I'm all for this, but I have one problem: I need my car to still pass emissions testing. My state (PA) doesn't have a "sniffer" test, they just check for codes. Since I want to stay legal, I've been looking at the catted downpipes instead of traditional catless. They seem to be a lot more expensive, which makes sense I suppose. Can anybody comment on the performance gains achieved with catted downpipes as compared to the catless kind? I'd hate to drop a wad of money on something that won't have much impact on performance.

Thanks!
get catless with dp fix n ull pass emissions testing.
__________________
2007/1 e90 335i jet black

jb4 g5 iso/race flash--rb turbos/rb pcv--bms occ--dci/scoops--cpe dp's corsa race full system--cpe ic--er cp/hks bov--trunk mount meth cm7/cm10--inline lpfp--kw v2/stoptech bbk f&r--m3 bits f&r,m3 fsb,wavetrack lsd--f14s nitto invo--lci conversion
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
AndyR83
Major
AndyR83's Avatar
14
Rep
1,025
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i FBO
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (5)

I searched and read about the dp fix for a long time the other day but was still unable to determine exactly what it is/how it works. Can you use a dp fix with a JB4? Is it something I can easily install myself?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
gzim335
Captain
gzim335's Avatar
Montenegro
11
Rep
661
Posts

 
Drives: 07 e90n54-08 zx10r-lci328ix
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: staten island ny

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007/1 e90 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83
I searched and read about the dp fix for a long time the other day but was still unable to determine exactly what it is/how it works. Can you use a dp fix with a JB4? Is it something I can easily install myself?
u can use dp fix with or without a tune,bms sells it u can check for instruction on there website.
__________________
2007/1 e90 335i jet black

jb4 g5 iso/race flash--rb turbos/rb pcv--bms occ--dci/scoops--cpe dp's corsa race full system--cpe ic--er cp/hks bov--trunk mount meth cm7/cm10--inline lpfp--kw v2/stoptech bbk f&r--m3 bits f&r,m3 fsb,wavetrack lsd--f14s nitto invo--lci conversion
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
gzim335
Captain
gzim335's Avatar
Montenegro
11
Rep
661
Posts

 
Drives: 07 e90n54-08 zx10r-lci328ix
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: staten island ny

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007/1 e90 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83
I searched and read about the dp fix for a long time the other day but was still unable to determine exactly what it is/how it works. Can you use a dp fix with a JB4? Is it something I can easily install myself?
u can use dp fix with or without a tune,bms sells it u can check for instruction on there website.
__________________
2007/1 e90 335i jet black

jb4 g5 iso/race flash--rb turbos/rb pcv--bms occ--dci/scoops--cpe dp's corsa race full system--cpe ic--er cp/hks bov--trunk mount meth cm7/cm10--inline lpfp--kw v2/stoptech bbk f&r--m3 bits f&r,m3 fsb,wavetrack lsd--f14s nitto invo--lci conversion
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
AndyR83
Major
AndyR83's Avatar
14
Rep
1,025
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i FBO
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (5)

From the BMS website:

"The JB4 tuning system includes this functionality built in so a DPFIX is not required if you are already running a JB4 Performance Tuner!"

So, does this mean I don't need it?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
BES335xi
Colonel
BES335xi's Avatar
Albania
30
Rep
2,133
Posts

 
Drives: FBO+ N54xi
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Queens, NYC

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83 View Post
From the BMS website:

"The JB4 tuning system includes this functionality built in so a DPFIX is not required if you are already running a JB4 Performance Tuner!"

So, does this mean I don't need it?
No you still need it, that just means that the JB4 will not allow to throw a SES light when driving when youre catless but you wont pass emissions with that. So yeah just get dpfix for about 80$ or whatever it is, and pretty much just set it and forget it type of thing.
__________________
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
benzy89
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
ONLY have the DP fix set up when you're getting your emissions testing done. IF you left it after you've passed your emissions test, you will mess up the AFR sensor readings & the tune will impact the performance of your car FTL
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
ar design II
Captain
ar design II's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
773
Posts

 
Drives: which one?
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to ar design II
It depends on how your car reacts to the DP. Some cars with catted DPs will never throw a code and be just fine passing all emissions testing, other cars you still get the CEL and would pass a sniff test but need a DP fix to pass for OBD2 readiness. PM me if you have any questions!

As far as performance, the car only uses the front o2 for tuning and the DP fix only adjusts the rear so there should be no effect on the performance of the car with the DP fix installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
E90Company
Major General
E90Company's Avatar
No_Country
72
Rep
6,138
Posts

 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
ONLY have the DP fix set up when you're getting your emissions testing done. IF you left it after you've passed your emissions test, you will mess up the AFR sensor readings & the tune will impact the performance of your car FTL
That's not right, it won't affect your performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
ar design
ar design's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
4,411
Posts

 
Drives: 04 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via AIM to ar design
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
That's not right, it won't affect your performance.
Correct, it will not effect performance.
__________________
-Critter
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
Quebequer
Private First Class
Canada
1
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I personnaly have catted downpipes on my car, and used to have catless. Yes they are more expensive, but the smell is a thing of the past, and there is almost no wastegate rattle anymore. Didn't notice a big loss in power whan I swapped them. Really like catted ones.
__________________
2008 BMW 335xi MT e90
JB4 G5, WW meth kit, turbonetics intercooler, DCI, UR catted dp's, UR catback, koni yellow + H&R springs, Rieger front bumper, Avant Garde 19" wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
MDORPHN
Colonel
41
Rep
2,547
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
Correct, it will not effect performance.

According to the BMW, the post cat sensors do in fact have some relation to long term fuel trims (due to catalyst aging), although their primary purpose is a functional check of the cats.

I have also spoken to experienced tuners who have told that running with dp fix in place will affect air-fuel, and for that reason should only be used to pass emissions tests.


Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
benzy89
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
According to the BMW, the post cat sensors do in fact have some relation to long term fuel trims (due to catalyst aging), although their primary purpose is a functional check of the cats.

I have also spoken to experienced tuners who have told that running with dp fix in place will affect air-fuel, and for that reason should only be used to pass emissions tests.


Neil
THANK YOU
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
E90Company
Major General
E90Company's Avatar
No_Country
72
Rep
6,138
Posts

 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
According to the BMW, the post cat sensors do in fact have some relation to long term fuel trims (due to catalyst aging), although their primary purpose is a functional check of the cats.

I have also spoken to experienced tuners who have told that running with dp fix in place will affect air-fuel, and for that reason should only be used to pass emissions tests.


Neil
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
THANK YOU
They don't. Any proof?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
benzy89
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
They don't. Any proof?
BMW Service Foreman who has a 1M and knows a LOT more than either me or you, agreed that while BMW has never officially stated that the secondary o2 sensors adjust anything, that they do have some influence on AFRs/Fuel Trimming/etc

There's also NO reason to have an o2 SIM in when it's not being used, just unnecessary filters for DME data to go thru
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
t3t5
Major
19
Rep
1,090
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (22)

Do you guys know if you ran catted downpipes (i.e. ar catted dp's) with a catless exhaust system (i.e. Vanguard v2), this will pass California Sniffer? Not concerned about visual inspection, just need to pass the sniffer.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
FirstBMWLA
Captain
FirstBMWLA's Avatar
12
Rep
777
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tucson,AZ

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
BMW Service Foreman who has a 1M and knows a LOT more than either me or you, agreed that while BMW has never officially stated that the secondary o2 sensors adjust anything, that they do have some influence on AFRs/Fuel Trimming/etc

There's also NO reason to have an o2 SIM in when it's not being used, just unnecessary filters for DME data to go thru
This is also supported by the fact that Vishnu recommends you remove the O2 simulator wiring if you do not need it and they updated the harness long ago to do so.
I forget all Shiv's reasoning but I think you basically are feeding the DME only 1 signal when running it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
BuraQ
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
BuraQ's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
3,211
Posts


 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Have catted highflow DPs. So glad I didn't go catless for couple of reasons:

Exhaust sound with the catted DPs alone doubled my exhaust sound. Catless would have made even more louder.

No smell with the catted vs the gamble with the catless

Absolutely no rasp with the catted vs the gamble with the catless of having rasp
__________________
BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance - Torque Junkies
DCT 335is 121-122 mph in the 1/4 mile Stock Turbos / Full Weight
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
gangzoom
Major
13
Rep
1,207
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Leicester

iTrader: (0)

I have Catted AR DPs. Here in the UK new laws means a fail on emissions if the tester spots you've removed any factory fitted cats regardless of exhaust gas readings!!

I have a JB4 tune, and have recently started to run map 1 instead of 2 (also have intercooler) mainly because at map 2 the car was able to get to liscence lossing speeds so quickly I felt the car had almost too much power for public roads. Even on map 1 I'm pretty sure I can still give a E90 M3 a scare!! So although I have no dyno figures Im pretty sure your not going to be dissapponted by Catted Downpipes!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #21
AlterZgo
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
395
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 535i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebequer View Post
I personnaly have catted downpipes on my car, and used to have catless. Yes they are more expensive, but the smell is a thing of the past, and there is almost no wastegate rattle anymore. Didn't notice a big loss in power whan I swapped them. Really like catted ones.
Did switching from catless to catted DPs also reduce the amt of exhaust soot on your rear bumper? My car is white and I'm concerned about excessive exhaust dust with catless DPs. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
Quebequer
Private First Class
Canada
1
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Did switching from catless to catted DPs also reduce the amt of exhaust soot on your rear bumper? My car is white and I'm concerned about excessive exhaust dust with catless DPs. Thanks.
Didn't notice anything, maybe because my car is black...
The only things I noticed when switching were no more anoying rasp (mine was really loud rasp), no more smell and almost no drone anymore.
__________________
2008 BMW 335xi MT e90
JB4 G5, WW meth kit, turbonetics intercooler, DCI, UR catted dp's, UR catback, koni yellow + H&R springs, Rieger front bumper, Avant Garde 19" wheels
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST