E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bmw E90 Pre-lci N54 Check Engine Light On And Off!!!

02-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
sd_luis
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Bmw E90 Pre-lci N54 Check Engine Light On And Off!!!

Ok so a few weeks ago I got a check engine light on. I pull out the codes and I don't recall it correctly, but one had to do with the gas cap. I went ahead and bought a new gas cap and it didn't come back until yesterday. And this afternoon it went off again! I'm thinking it could be some kind of slow leak, but I would like to know if anybody else have had this problem, before taking it to a mechanic. Also, car drives normal, no rough idle, or anything like that

Thanks in advance.
sd_luis is offline   United_States
      02-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
DarkNemesis
Captain

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car

If the Gas Cap fixed it temporarily.
Then you most likely have a evap leak.

This is a test our cars do on a drive cycle.
Like every 5th start after been driven x miles and stopped x time longer than 4 hours.
Hence why it comes and goes.

The only way to find out what the leak is is to do a smoke test of your fuel system.

Minimal charge to figure it out.
They hook up a smoke machine to gas lid, at the engine after the charcoal filter and possibly before the charcoal filter in the back of the car.

Our charcoal filters at least on a 335i is right behind the left rear wheel under the rear bumper.

Get it smoked, professionally.

DN
DarkNemesis is offline   Canada