E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is the N54 that bad?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #45
tmo24
Captain
 
tmo24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i e90 Msport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 908
iTrader: (3)

I thought I was back in the Honda forums for a minute
__________________
2010 335i AW e90 Msport
tmo24 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #46
ppatel223
Banned
 
Drives: F10 I3.0
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AR

Posts: 374
iTrader: (0)

it is reliable, but us enthusiasts keep screwing with it try to squeeze as much as power as possible. But shit breaks cuz stretching it limits, then we cry and come here to bitch. lol
ppatel223 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #47
JJFESQ
Big Poppa
 
JJFESQ's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535xi
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island

Posts: 144
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 535xi  [0.00]
Love my n54 vert!!!!
__________________
F10 535xi AW/Mocha
JJFESQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #48
Felipefacsom
Lieutenant
 
Felipefacsom's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somerville

Posts: 505
iTrader: (3)

n54 inlove
Felipefacsom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #49
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 1,898
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel223 View Post
it is reliable, but us enthusiasts keep screwing with it try to squeeze as much as power as possible. But shit breaks cuz stretching it limits, then we cry and come here to bitch. lol
Uh wrong.

Wastegate rattle = Happens on stock cars
HPFP = Happens on stock cars
Vanos = Happens on stock cars
Injectors = Happens on stock cars
Valve cover Gasket = Happens on stock cars
pits200 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #50
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_connected View Post
370Z? You gonna need 7K in just a Turbo kit to be guaranteed over 450whp.
I think its closer to 8k and 600whp for the Stage 2. Steep buy-in, but a 500whp (base base kit) 370z will run similar traps to Shiv's car. I've looked.

Quote:
The N54 is the next 2JZ or RB26.
Most definitely, though I'd hesitate to put the RB26 in the same sentence as the 2JZ.
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #51
dicostal
First Lieutenant
 
dicostal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Italian in CT - USA

Posts: 394
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
if you get one make sure it still has warranty as you will have an issue most likely. I think the biggest issues with these engines are related to the fuel system. I still have the original injectors on mine and I am having issues, but BMW refuses to replace them all, just one at the time

Also if you buy a 335i is going to be a lot cheaper than an Xi. I live in CT and we do see a lot of snow, and I just use snow tires in the winter and I do not have any problems. You can get a 335i a lot cheaper around January\Feb as they do not sale :-)
That is what i did and it worked out great
__________________
GIAC stage II|AA DP|DCI|HELIX FMIC
dicostal is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #52
zztwinturbozz
Private
 
zztwinturbozz's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver

Posts: 76
iTrader: (1)

[quote=Sered]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_connected View Post
370Z? You gonna need 7K in just a Turbo kit to be guaranteed over 450whp.
Technically with Shivs kit you are looking at well over 10k when all is said and done.
zztwinturbozz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #53
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: toronto

Posts: 1,791
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo24 View Post
I thought I was back in the Honda forums for a minute
Sorry lol
But ya the N54 is awesome, no doubt
__________________
COBB Powered, Spec2+, Wavetrac, DCI, Forge DV's, AR catless DP's, AA FMIC, M3 links & Sways, 19' BBS LM's wrapped in PSS, Zimmerman cross drilled rotors, hawk carbon pads, M3 Spoiler, AC roof Spoiler, Aero Lip, Vorsteiner Diffuser, m3 sides, Tinted, And One Happy BMW Driver.
marcvtec is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #54
kavadarci
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: canada

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

I would stay with the 328.

N54 is money wasted. Not if, things WILL fail.period.
x drive is useless, even in montreal toronto it doesn't matter. x drive fails a lot and parts are expensive. I regret buying mine.
HPFP are not covered in Canada as in the US so you are stuck and your car would sound like pots and pans, very fancy for sure. you would like to run when people ask you to rev the engine because it sounds like shit. and the sound coming out of it, not that impressive unless heavily modified.

at the end of the day you have two choices. stay with your 328 and enjoy it or get the N54, enjoy it and see you wallet deplete.
kavadarci is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #55
Laid Black 335i
BMW
 
Laid Black 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i (6MT)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MD

Posts: 975
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadarci View Post
I would stay with the 328.

N54 is money wasted. Not if, things WILL fail.period.
x drive is useless, even in montreal toronto it doesn't matter. x drive fails a lot and parts are expensive. I regret buying mine.
HPFP are not covered in Canada as in the US so you are stuck and your car would sound like pots and pans, very fancy for sure. you would like to run when people ask you to rev the engine because it sounds like shit. and the sound coming out of it, not that impressive unless heavily modified.

at the end of the day you have two choices. stay with your 328 and enjoy it or get the N54, enjoy it and see you wallet deplete.

Uhh.... what?
__________________
Laid Black 335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #56
TireFire
Private
 
TireFire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cincinnati

Posts: 94
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2001 540iT  [0.00]
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
1996 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadarci View Post
I would stay with the 328.

N54 is money wasted. Not if, things WILL fail.period.
x drive is useless, even in montreal toronto it doesn't matter. x drive fails a lot and parts are expensive. I regret buying mine.
HPFP are not covered in Canada as in the US so you are stuck and your car would sound like pots and pans, very fancy for sure. you would like to run when people ask you to rev the engine because it sounds like shit. and the sound coming out of it, not that impressive unless heavily modified.

at the end of the day you have two choices. stay with your 328 and enjoy it or get the N54, enjoy it and see you wallet deplete.
I wish i lived in Canada so i could get good drugs too.
__________________
Fast Car = Slow Motorcycle
TireFire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #57
Dmacc
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 2,638
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadarci View Post
I would stay with the 328.

N54 is money wasted. Not if, things WILL fail.period.
x drive is useless, even in montreal toronto it doesn't matter. x drive fails a lot and parts are expensive. I regret buying mine.
HPFP are not covered in Canada as in the US so you are stuck and your car would sound like pots and pans, very fancy for sure. you would like to run when people ask you to rev the engine because it sounds like shit. and the sound coming out of it, not that impressive unless heavily modified.

at the end of the day you have two choices. stay with your 328 and enjoy it or get the N54, enjoy it and see you wallet deplete.


Autism at its finest!

It sounds like you don't like awd, and the fact that you have to pay for parts OCCASIONALLY. your wallet must not be as deep as the other 90% of users in this section. Your opinion would probably be more respected if you worded it differently, but when you say the engine sounds like shit, then we all know something in your brain just isn't right.
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Dmacc is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #58
Dmacc
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 2,638
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel223 View Post
it is reliable, but us enthusiasts keep screwing with it try to squeeze as much as power as possible. But shit breaks cuz stretching it limits, then we cry and come here to bitch. lol
Things also break when grannies drive the car as well, unmodified. It can be finicky but its not always related to the end user... maybe you are doing something wrong?
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Dmacc is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #59
kavadarci
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: canada

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post


Autism at its finest!

It sounds like you don't like awd, and the fact that you have to pay for parts OCCASIONALLY. your wallet must not be as deep as the other 90% of users in this section. Your opinion would probably be more respected if you worded it differently, but when you say the engine sounds like shit, then we all know something in your brain just isn't right.
First of all I have no intention to argue or offend anyone as you above did.
That was my opinion as stated.

If you don't valid my opinion why do you expect someone to value yours? (no answer expected here).

Second, if you think that your wallet is deep because you bought a 3 series you are very confused. The car is not that special nor that expensive. Don't fool yourself.
kavadarci is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #60
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadarci View Post
I would stay with the 328.

N54 is money wasted. Not if, things WILL fail.period.
x drive is useless, even in montreal toronto it doesn't matter. x drive fails a lot and parts are expensive. I regret buying mine.
HPFP are not covered in Canada as in the US so you are stuck and your car would sound like pots and pans, very fancy for sure. you would like to run when people ask you to rev the engine because it sounds like shit. and the sound coming out of it, not that impressive unless heavily modified.

at the end of the day you have two choices. stay with your 328 and enjoy it or get the N54, enjoy it and see you wallet deplete.
You must be the ONLY person to have this opinion. It won International Engine of the Year in 2007 & 2008, Best New Engine in 2007, and has Won the Best 2.5-3.0L Engine from 2007-2012.

It's a German Car, it requires a lot more service/maintenance attention & love than a car that came from a Japan, but the build quality is def. there. For the 335i price range, there is NOTHING that performs better for the money spent. Also, you're complaining about the sound of the engine. It's a TT engine, it will NEVER sound as good as the S65 (and neither while the next M3's engine). Yea, the VQ in the Nissan/Infiniti might sound better, but with just a tune on your car you'll only see them in your rearview mirror.


Do us all a favor: Sell your car, buy a Genesis coupe & take your hate over to the Hyundai Forum (I promise your wallet while be safe)
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #61
Catalina Wine Mixer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Catalina Wine Mixer's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 335i Coupe White/Coral Red
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,661
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [3.63]
2008 328i  [2.75]
It's a BMW and if you want to drive the fancy and fast 335 you have to be prepared to throw some money it's way if you get some curve balls thrown at you. Not a huge deal just comes with the territory (owning a BMW). If not I recommend getting a Honda I hear it's their summer blow out sale ;p
__________________
| 09 335i Coupe | Alpine White/Coral Red | M Sport | 6mt | Premium | Logic7 | 19" Beyern Mesh | 20% Tint | LUX Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Black Kidney Grill | BMS DCI | Cobb Stage 1 | M-Pedal Set | Painted Side Reflectors | Rear Lip Spoiler | Euro Front Plate | Passport 9500ix | BIM Coded |
Who is John Galt??
Catalina Wine Mixer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #62
rudypoochris
Private
 
Drives: 08 E92/72 Datsun 240z
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

The 328 is a joke performance wise. Completely different car. E92 328 is a diff market than e92 335i entirely imho.

This is a car you can spend $500 on a piggy, put E85 in it and expect +150hp out of the box (if not more). That kind of additional tunability is due to the advanced (complicated) engine which uses DI and turbos = more new things to break. I rather have the ability to go +150hp and have a HPFP fail under warranty than be stuck driving a painfully slow bimmer.

Last edited by rudypoochris; 08-10-2012 at 12:12 AM.
rudypoochris is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #63
Dmacc
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 2,638
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadarci View Post
First of all I have no intention to argue or offend anyone as you above did.
That was my opinion as stated.

If you don't valid my opinion why do you expect someone to value yours? (no answer expected here).

Second, if you think that your wallet is deep because you bought a 3 series you are very confused. The car is not that special nor that expensive. Don't fool yourself.
It sounds to me that you're more of a Naturally aspirated man, and someone who doesn't like too many working components under the hood which is understandable, but parts will break on any turbo'ed platform, if that isn't your cup of tea then yes the incredibly slow and dull n52 in the 328 is perfect.
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Dmacc is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #64
kavadarci
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: canada

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Cool, cool. No hard feelings.
I feel i didn't express myself properly.
So let me try again:
N54 is great engine when it works. It does have a lot of working components and some will fail. As for the sound I was refering to the sound of the engine with the waste gate rattle problem not the entire engine in proper working condition.

As for the bull crap from some of the members giving me and anyone else advise to buy cheaper car because "I" can't afford the bmw and they can grow up, you sound silly saying things like that. I see that a lot on these forums. You are nothing special or better because you can afford to repair german car. What an accomplishment.

Again, my mistake for not expressing myself properly for the N54.
kavadarci is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #65
gdub
Private First Class
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: dfw

Posts: 143
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadarci View Post
Cool, cool. No hard feelings.
I feel i didn't express myself properly.
So let me try again:
N54 is great engine when it works. It does have a lot of working components and some will fail. As for the sound I was refering to the sound of the engine with the waste gate rattle problem not the entire engine in proper working condition.

As for the bull crap from some of the members giving me and anyone else advise to buy cheaper car because "I" can't afford the bmw and they can grow up, you sound silly saying things like that. I see that a lot on these forums. You are nothing special or better because you can afford to repair german car. What an accomplishment.

Again, my mistake for not expressing myself properly for the N54.
n54 is a great engine. You're acting like it's down 9 months of the year and when it is working it's great. It's not a DSM. I've had mine for a year and a half and it's been down a total of 2 days, one of them was for a 30k. You really should buy a cheaper car if you can not afford to repair it.... that's just logic. Plus with BMWs warranty and maintenance program, the only thing you've got to pay for is tires and gas for 4 years..... I also don't get where some people talk about how expensive they are to maintain and all the maintenance you have to do to it. My car goes to the shop less than my friend's 2011 camaro ss and less than my other friend's 2011 is350....
gdub is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #66
kavadarci
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: canada

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub View Post
n54 is a great engine. You're acting like it's down 9 months of the year and when it is working it's great. It's not a DSM. I've had mine for a year and a half and it's been down a total of 2 days, one of them was for a 30k. You really should buy a cheaper car if you can not afford to repair it.... that's just logic. Plus with BMWs warranty and maintenance program, the only thing you've got to pay for is tires and gas for 4 years..... I also don't get where some people talk about how expensive they are to maintain and all the maintenance you have to do to it. My car goes to the shop less than my friend's 2011 camaro ss and less than my other friend's 2011 is350....
Ok, I don't think this conversation can ever end if we continue with examples that work well for you and I use my examples so we agree that is a great engine that requires ocassional repairs and oow are costly.

but again: Don't recommend me what to buy and DON'T ASSUME that I can't afford to repair it. Just tired of people like you.
kavadarci is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST