E90Post
 


200MPH
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335 brakes on a 328?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Major
 
AllBlackBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central PA area

Posts: 1,369
iTrader: (0)

335 brakes on a 328?

Know this is prob a dumb question to ask... but has anyone put 335 brakes on a 328?

I haven't done much research (yet) on the differences between the 335/328 brakes... can't be anything to significant...

obviously the 335's are larger, which in theory=more stopping force.

This might just be a stupid idea solely for the fact that there is no "need" for larger brakes on the 328.

I love my 328 brakes, I think they stop great! However while looking at pictures, nothing looks better than some aftermarket wheels with some nice large rotors hiding behind the spokes.

I assume you cannot even consider putting any wheel smaller than 17 or so on a 335, as anything smaller than a 16" wheel won't fit over my 328 brakes.


so... opinions? Is this just stupid or crazy? or a cheap way to upgrade brakes/looks? even worth the effort?

Thanks.
__________________
2008 328i E90 Jet Black:6MT:Premium:Sport:Walnut/Black interior:Xenon:MTEC V3 AEs:19" Beyern Mesh:35% Tint:Blacklines
AllBlackBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,259
iTrader: (4)

it's possible, but you need to swap over the hub carriers (and maybe a few other bits) in order to be able to bolt on the 335i calipers, so it's probably not as cheap as you think, but it is cheaper than getting a big brake kit.
mike-y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
Know this is prob a dumb question to ask... but has anyone put 335 brakes on a 328?

I haven't done much research (yet) on the differences between the 335/328 brakes... can't be anything to significant...

obviously the 335's are larger, which in theory=more stopping force.

This might just be a stupid idea solely for the fact that there is no "need" for larger brakes on the 328.

I love my 328 brakes, I think they stop great! However while looking at pictures, nothing looks better than some aftermarket wheels with some nice large rotors hiding behind the spokes.

I assume you cannot even consider putting any wheel smaller than 17 or so on a 335, as anything smaller than a 16" wheel won't fit over my 328 brakes.


so... opinions? Is this just stupid or crazy? or a cheap way to upgrade brakes/looks? even worth the effort?

Thanks.
I have 335 Msport brakes from a 2011, on my 07 328

all you need is the calipers, pads, rotors, and it bolts right on. No custom stuff is needed as the 335 and 328 are basically the same car in all aspects aside from powertrain.

and yes, it is MILES ahead of the 328 brakes..

Let me know if you need some help getting it done
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
AllBlackBimmer
Major
 
AllBlackBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central PA area

Posts: 1,369
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
I have 335 Msport brakes from a 2011, on my 07 328

all you need is the calipers, pads, rotors, and it bolts right on. No custom stuff is needed as the 335 and 328 are basically the same car in all aspects aside from powertrain.

and yes, it is MILES ahead of the 328 brakes..

Let me know if you need some help getting it done
Wow, awesome. Good to know that others have done this, and it actually works!

What is the difference between the M-sport brakes and the regular 335 brakes?

Did you need "hub carriers" like the above posted stated?

Is there any differences in the AWD/RWD brakes?

Did you get new parts, used or?

Did you do the work yourself? Never changed brakes before, (I have changed pads, that is easy) not sure how hard it is to swap rotors and calipers.


About how much $$ did this run you?

...and of course.. Pictures?!?
__________________
2008 328i E90 Jet Black:6MT:Premium:Sport:Walnut/Black interior:Xenon:MTEC V3 AEs:19" Beyern Mesh:35% Tint:Blacklines
AllBlackBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Express
Major General
 
Express's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

Posts: 8,701
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
why dont you just get some 135 brakes
Express is offline   Israel
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
AllBlackBimmer
Major
 
AllBlackBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central PA area

Posts: 1,369
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
why dont you just get some 135 brakes


I don't really know anything about the new 1-series... meaning i have no idea their size, compatibility, etc where I KNOW a 328/335 brakes are similiar, but with the 335 being bigger.

seems like common sense to use "3-series brakes" on a 3-series, not saying you can't use a 1-series brakes, perhaps they are the exact same? But I have no idea, I am ignorant to this. I would need some convincing if I was going to put on 1-series brakes.

Even if the 1-series brakes are compatible, I'd still lean with 335 brakes soleley for the fact that they are bigger with more stopping force. (335=more power=bigger brakes)
__________________
2008 328i E90 Jet Black:6MT:Premium:Sport:Walnut/Black interior:Xenon:MTEC V3 AEs:19" Beyern Mesh:35% Tint:Blacklines
AllBlackBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Express
Major General
 
Express's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

Posts: 8,701
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
the 335 brakes i think have been proven to be better than the 1 brakes, but youll get a "bbk" for a fraction of the price...

both front and rear will be an upgrade on your 328, and you will have the option to use the BMW performance rotors.

to retrofit your car with 135 brakes, all you will need are new or modified dust shields.
Express is offline   Israel
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
AllBlackBimmer
Major
 
AllBlackBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central PA area

Posts: 1,369
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
the 335 brakes i think have been proven to be better than the 1 brakes, but youll get a "bbk" for a fraction of the price...

both front and rear will be an upgrade on your 328, and you will have the option to use the BMW performance rotors.

to retrofit your car with 135 brakes, all you will need are new or modified dust shields.

What is wrong with getting a BBK for the fraction of the price? Isn't that what I am trying to do ?

Will not be buying BMW performance rotors either way - the stock 335 rotors seem like they would be just fine.



Are the 1-series brakes just as big as the 335's? ...I don't care about the amount of "parts" I will need, I'm sure there are pretty of 335 owners who have upgraded their brakes and are selling the stock 335 parts.
__________________
2008 328i E90 Jet Black:6MT:Premium:Sport:Walnut/Black interior:Xenon:MTEC V3 AEs:19" Beyern Mesh:35% Tint:Blacklines
AllBlackBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Express
Major General
 
Express's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

Posts: 8,701
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
What is wrong with getting a BBK for the fraction of the price? Isn't that what I am trying to do ?

Will not be buying BMW performance rotors either way - the stock 335 rotors seem like they would be just fine.



Are the 1-series brakes just as big as the 335's? ...I don't care about the amount of "parts" I will need, I'm sure there are pretty of 335 owners who have upgraded their brakes and are selling the stock 335 parts.

335 oem brakes aren't a true "bbk.."

i guess you are set on 335 brakes, sorry for suggesting a different route.

and yes, they are bigger.
Express is offline   Israel
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
AllBlackBimmer
Major
 
AllBlackBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central PA area

Posts: 1,369
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
335 oem brakes aren't a true "bbk.."

i guess you are set on 335 brakes, sorry for suggesting a different route.

and yes, they are bigger.
I know 335 brakes aren't a "true" BBK.

...I am not set on 335's brakes, I just said if I were to use 1-series brakes I would need convincing - as I know NOTHING about the 1-series. I have no idea how the "1" brakes compare with "3" brakes in size, looks, etc, etc, etc...

If you have or know someone or have a link that has a 1-series brake swap on a 328 please post.
__________________
2008 328i E90 Jet Black:6MT:Premium:Sport:Walnut/Black interior:Xenon:MTEC V3 AEs:19" Beyern Mesh:35% Tint:Blacklines
AllBlackBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,259
iTrader: (4)

Gavin, did the rear 335i brakes also bolt on? I was under the impression that the rear carrier was different, but that could be wrong.

335i brakes are bigger than 135i brakes, so yes, they are more than an upgrade. Probably more available too. And I don't see how that is going to be more expensive then an aftermarket BBK.
mike-y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Express
Major General
 
Express's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

Posts: 8,701
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
135 brakes = bmw performance brakes = 6 pot = bbk
Express is offline   Israel
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
AllBlackBimmer
Major
 
AllBlackBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central PA area

Posts: 1,369
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
135 brakes = bmw performance brakes = 6 pot = bbk
after some quick googling... 135 are Brembo? are they "real" brembo brakes or does brembo make them are sell them as "BMW parts" ?

... apparently the 135 front brakes look better than the 335... hmm.

Perhaps I will now change my mind. As this has nothing to really do with stopping power as much as it is getting a nice looking rotor/caliper behind my wheels....


135 fronts and 335 rears? 135's the whole way around? Read someonesaid that 335 rears will not fit anything but a 335... i assume this is because of the hub? .. contradicts many of the above posters.

EDIT: just read that 135 rears will also NOT work on a 328 sedan



I just want some bigger rotors that look nice. I have no problems with how my stock 328 brakes stop, so either 135 or 335 brakes would be an upgrade.
__________________
2008 328i E90 Jet Black:6MT:Premium:Sport:Walnut/Black interior:Xenon:MTEC V3 AEs:19" Beyern Mesh:35% Tint:Blacklines

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 09-20-2011 at 01:45 PM.
AllBlackBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,259
iTrader: (4)

135 6-pots use a smaller rotor than the 335i, but if you want to call it a BBK just because it says brembo, then more power to ya.

if all you care about is looks, then it doesn't matter what you do. But if you truly want a larger brake upgrade and care about actual performance, get the 335i brakes with performance pads.
mike-y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
AllBlackBimmer
Major
 
AllBlackBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central PA area

Posts: 1,369
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
135 6-pots use a smaller rotor than the 335i, but if you want to call it a BBK just because it says brembo, then more power to ya.

if all you care about is looks, then it doesn't matter what you do. But if you truly want a larger brake upgrade and care about actual performance, get the 335i brakes with performance pads.
well as I was reading some more info, the 6 pistons don't really matter, its rotor size and pads.

Also, read 3 reviews that said the 335 flat out stops better than the 135. So I can only assume that means the 335 have more force.




... Looks like I just need how to get the 335 brakes on my 328 and be done with it. ...so back to those of you that have done this....
__________________
2008 328i E90 Jet Black:6MT:Premium:Sport:Walnut/Black interior:Xenon:MTEC V3 AEs:19" Beyern Mesh:35% Tint:Blacklines
AllBlackBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
Navacellus
New Member
 
Navacellus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E91; 1999 E36/8
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central NY

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

I have done it to my 2007 328XiT. Post #12 in the thread below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399398

After about 20K miles the only negative I found was a loss of 1+ mpg during daily driving due to the extra rotational mass of the much larger rotors on all four corners. The benefit far outweighs the 1 mpg loss!
Navacellus is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #17
AllBlackBimmer
Major
 
AllBlackBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central PA area

Posts: 1,369
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navacellus View Post
I have done it to my 2007 328XiT. Post #12 in the thread below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399398

After about 20K miles the only negative I found was a loss of 1+ mpg during daily driving due to the extra rotational mass of the much larger rotors on all four corners. The benefit far outweighs the 1 mpg loss!
is there a difference bwtween the AWD and RWD models?

... no dust shield swap? what about the hubs and e-brake?

how is the "pedal feel" , is it still firm or is there any fade?
__________________
2008 328i E90 Jet Black:6MT:Premium:Sport:Walnut/Black interior:Xenon:MTEC V3 AEs:19" Beyern Mesh:35% Tint:Blacklines
AllBlackBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,259
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navacellus View Post
I have done it to my 2007 328XiT. Post #12 in the thread below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399398
wow, I even posted in that thread and didn't remember. My memory SUX!! haha thanks for bringing it up again
mike-y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
therealm3
Captain
 
Drives: E91 Msport, E70 35i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CA, USA

Posts: 906
iTrader: (4)

I have been kicking around the idea of doing this on our 328iT. good post. Thanks!
therealm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
Navacellus
New Member
 
Navacellus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E91; 1999 E36/8
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central NY

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

No problem! I had a double-take thinking the 1+ year old thread got bumped...
Navacellus is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #21
Hooy
Colonel
 
Hooy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 2,765
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [2.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
I have 335 Msport brakes from a 2011, on my 07 328

all you need is the calipers, pads, rotors, and it bolts right on. No custom stuff is needed as the 335 and 328 are basically the same car in all aspects aside from powertrain.

and yes, it is MILES ahead of the 328 brakes..

Let me know if you need some help getting it done
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navacellus View Post
I have done it to my 2007 328XiT. Post #12 in the thread below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399398

After about 20K miles the only negative I found was a loss of 1+ mpg during daily driving due to the extra rotational mass of the much larger rotors on all four corners. The benefit far outweighs the 1 mpg loss!
I don't understand. After tons of reading and posting in the past, I was told again and again that 335 brakes WILL NOT FIT IN THE REAR. I even PM'd Gavin about it but got no response.
__________________
Hooy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #22
Navacellus
New Member
 
Navacellus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E91; 1999 E36/8
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central NY

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Hooy - Not sure what to tell you on that...
I used realoem.com and compared the key brake and mounting components of the 328XiT to the 335Xi and found no compatability issues. No hub changes, no dust sheild changes, no e-brake mods. From my experiece (again do your own research to verify) all you will need is 335 calipers with carriers, rotors, and pads.
Navacellus is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST