E90Post
 


E92 Lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Austin BMW shops



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
335m
Private
 
Drives: AW e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

Posts: 73
iTrader: (1)

Austin BMW shops

Any recommendations for shops in the North Austin / Pflugerville / Cedar Park areas?

My usual shops are more suited for Domestic vehicles as my last car was a Mustang Bullitt.

Looking for shops who can help me get my n55 e92 to FBO for a reasonable price on labor and help me out if I run into any mechanical issues along the way.

Dyno and Cobb protuning would be a huge plus
335m is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
jakobv84
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 E60 525xi
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posts: 184
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
I've been happy with Black Forest Werkshop but they may be a little too vanilla and a little too far south for you (between 183 and 2222)
__________________
'09 525xi | Comfort Access, Moonroof, Softclose, PDC, CIC upgraded

'07 335i E90 (sold) // '03 Porsche Boxster (sold) // '07 Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 (sold) // '06 325i E90 (stolen) // '99 Alfa Romeo 156 (sold)
jakobv84 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
335m
Private
 
Drives: AW e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

Posts: 73
iTrader: (1)

Thank you, I will take a look into them for maintenance. They look like they have pretty solid reviews.

Still on the market for a tuning/performance shop if anyone knows of one.
335m is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
snaimpally
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 257
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Thank you, I will take a look into them for maintenance. They look like they have pretty solid reviews.

Still on the market for a tuning/performance shop if anyone knows of one.
I use Lamb's automotive on Lake Creek Pkwy. They do all the maintenance for Apple leasing vehicles, which includes BMWs. My wife and I have been using them for the past 3 years and we have had a very positive experience.

I have also had them install performance parts. They don't do tuning and are not a speed shop but if you have a performance part that replaces an OEM part, they can install it for you.

If you do find a performance shop in Austin specializing in BMW, please let me know.
snaimpally is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
Blipit_
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

Posts: 502
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Any recommendations for shops in the North Austin / Pflugerville / Cedar Park areas?

My usual shops are more suited for Domestic vehicles as my last car was a Mustang Bullitt.

Looking for shops who can help me get my n55 e92 to FBO for a reasonable price on labor and help me out if I run into any mechanical issues along the way.

Dyno and Cobb protuning would be a huge plus
Why don't you just go to Cobb facilities in Austin? A short drive from north austin, I would trust them more for protuning than any other shop.
Blipit_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
wallysboy
New Member
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: austin, tx

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Why don't you just go to Cobb facilities in Austin? A short drive from north austin, I would trust them more for protuning than any other shop.
I called them a couple of months ago to ask them to do a FMIC install but they told me they didn't perform performance mods. Basically specialize in Tuning is what they told me.
wallysboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Blipit_
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

Posts: 502
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallysboy View Post
I called them a couple of months ago to ask them to do a FMIC install but they told me they didn't perform performance mods. Basically specialize in Tuning is what they told me.
That is odd. They sell their own intercoolers, I am sure they performs installs on those.
Blipit_ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #8
ZNITE
Enlisted Member
 
ZNITE's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATX

Posts: 46
iTrader: (1)

Try Lindsey Bimmer Service in Cedar Park...The owner/mechanic is Josh.
ZNITE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
JacobT
Captain
 
JacobT's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 335i JB
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Austin TX

Posts: 696
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Cobb Austin facility is a R&D only office. I know people working there, they do not do any kind of performance installations. I used Colvin Automotive for my upgrades. KC is very knowledgeable guy about performance.
__________________
08 E90 335i Jet Black/Black/Piano Black Step/PS ZSP ZPP PDC CA
KW V2/AG M550/ACS roof/Pedals/CF Roundels/M3 rep bumper/Lux 5.0/Yellow fogs/Alpina B3/JB4 G5/VRSF FMIC/ER CP/Tial BOV/Muffler Delete

JacobT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
snaimpally
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 257
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNITE View Post
Try Lindsey Bimmer Service in Cedar Park...The owner/mechanic is Josh.
I spoke to Josh and he said if its a performance part that replaces an OEM part, then he can do it. I mentioned purchasing an EVP from BMW and he wasn't aware of it, which made me wonder how long its been since he visited the bmwusa website.

After some research, I found a couple of tuners in North Austin:
  • MZM Performance - http://www.mzmperformance.com/services
    His focus is mostly Subaru and Mitsubishi but he does state "At MZM International we offer quality service including ... precision tuning of Japanese & European Import vehicles including Acura, Audi, BMW ... We also offer a wide range of performance parts including Turbochargers, Intake and Exhaust’s, ECU’s, Suspension component upgrades and guarantee satisfaction on any work done to your vehicle." He has a dyno and is Cobb certified.
  • Boost Logic - They do turbo kits and tuning for higher end cars, like Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, GT-R, etc. - http://www.boostlogic.com/
__________________
Mobridge DA2 -> Helix DSP -> Mosconi AS100.4 + AS100.4 + AS200.2 -> Morel Piccolo + HAT L4SE Carbon + Jehnert XE200 + Dynaudio Esotar 1200
snaimpally is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
335m
Private
 
Drives: AW e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

Posts: 73
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
MZM Performance - http://www.mzmperformance.com/services
His focus is mostly Subaru and Mitsubishi but he does state "At MZM International we offer quality service including ... precision tuning of Japanese & European Import vehicles including Acura, Audi, BMW ... We also offer a wide range of performance parts including Turbochargers, Intake and Exhaustís, ECUís, Suspension component upgrades and guarantee satisfaction on any work done to your vehicle." He has a dyno and is Cobb certified.
Hmm, very interesting. I just received a set of BC BR Racing Coilovers and I am looking for a good shop to install, looking like MZM may be a good place to start.

That or Black Forest Werkshop possibly?
335m is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
snaimpally
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 257
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Hmm, very interesting. I just received a set of BC BR Racing Coilovers and I am looking for a good shop to install, looking like MZM may be a good place to start.

That or Black Forest Werkshop possibly?
MZM is off of Howard Lane between MoPac and 35. I've talked to the guy before, when I had a Mazda Speed3. He is very honest and will tell you what he can and cannot do. I suggest you call him up or pay him a visit.
__________________
Mobridge DA2 -> Helix DSP -> Mosconi AS100.4 + AS100.4 + AS200.2 -> Morel Piccolo + HAT L4SE Carbon + Jehnert XE200 + Dynaudio Esotar 1200
snaimpally is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
wallysboy
New Member
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: austin, tx

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Hmm, very interesting. I just received a set of BC BR Racing Coilovers and I am looking for a good shop to install, looking like MZM may be a good place to start.

That or Black Forest Werkshop possibly?
I have called and discussed various mods for my 335xi with MZM. He clearly has not worked on many BMWs. He specializes in subarus, evos etc. I asked him for a price on DPs and he never got back to me but initially he did tell me he had never installed DPs on a BMW before. So I agree he seemed very honest.

The reason I called them in the first place was Cobb recommended them. I took a chance and used a Lamb's shop about a block down from the BMW of Austin dealership not the one mentioned above by OP. To make a very long story short, the work cost me $200 more than their original quote and they wound up taking the car to another one of their shops to perform the work. The other shop performed the work fine but the whole process was disturbing.

GLTU-Dave
wallysboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
Gate7
Oh rly?
 
Drives: 2011 335i E90
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: H-Town

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Hmm, very interesting. I just received a set of BC BR Racing Coilovers and I am looking for a good shop to install, looking like MZM may be a good place to start.

That or Black Forest Werkshop possibly?
Let me know how you like those coils, those are they ones I'm looking to buy.
__________________
2011 335i Alpine White Loaded (his)
2013 A6 Glacier White Metallic 3.0T Quattro Prestige (her's)
2005 GTI 1.8t with bunch of goodies (original owner - garage queen)

REAL men use 3 pedals
Gate7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
snaimpally
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 257
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallysboy View Post
I have called and discussed various mods for my 335xi with MZM. He clearly has not worked on many BMWs. He specializes in subarus, evos etc. I asked him for a price on DPs and he never got back to me but initially he did tell me he had never installed DPs on a BMW before. So I agree he seemed very honest.

The reason I called them in the first place was Cobb recommended them. I took a chance and used a Lamb's shop about a block down from the BMW of Austin dealership not the one mentioned above by OP. To make a very long story short, the work cost me $200 more than their original quote and they wound up taking the car to another one of their shops to perform the work. The other shop performed the work fine but the whole process was disturbing.

GLTU-Dave
When I went to MZM many years ago for my Mazda, he said most of his work was on Subaru and Mitsu. If there are enough of us interested, perhaps we could persuade him to get more familiar with BMW.

Which Lamb's did they end up taking it to? I have gotten to know the guys at Lake Creek very well - they are straightforward to deal with.
__________________
Mobridge DA2 -> Helix DSP -> Mosconi AS100.4 + AS100.4 + AS200.2 -> Morel Piccolo + HAT L4SE Carbon + Jehnert XE200 + Dynaudio Esotar 1200
snaimpally is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,191
iTrader: (0)

I have been to every shop in town and the only one that knew what they were doing was Munich Auto..

http://www.yelp.com/biz/munich-auto-austin

He is honest, affordable and really knows his stuff.

Terry sayther auto knows their stuff but is high and his shop is kinda dumpy. As he kept expanding in the same small area. They don't take apts either you jsut drop it off in the morning. Their waiting area is outside.

Black forest is pricey..

German Auto center clueless. Took my car there about my bluetooth and they told me to ask the sales person because they couldn't figure out the idrive.

BMW of austin dealer.. High but they are good. I only use them for oil changes.
bender rodriguez is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #17
wallysboy
New Member
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: austin, tx

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
When I went to MZM many years ago for my Mazda, he said most of his work was on Subaru and Mitsu. If there are enough of us interested, perhaps we could persuade him to get more familiar with BMW.

Which Lamb's did they end up taking it to? I have gotten to know the guys at Lake Creek very well - they are straightforward to deal with.
They didn't give me the name but he said it was located at four points (some sort of 4 streets crossing I believe in NW Austin). The 4 points mechanic using to be a BWM of Austin mechanic and is very familiar with our cars. He had no problem installing the DPs and so far so good. I now notice a bit of a drone at 600rpm when stopped. Didn't expect that result.
wallysboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
335m
Private
 
Drives: AW e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

Posts: 73
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
I have been to every shop in town and the only one that knew what they were doing was Munich Auto..

http://www.yelp.com/biz/munich-auto-austin

He is honest, affordable and really knows his stuff.
Interesting, never heard of this place.
Would you trust them with a Coilover install or DP?
335m is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #19
snaimpally
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 257
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallysboy View Post
They didn't give me the name but he said it was located at four points (some sort of 4 streets crossing I believe in NW Austin). The 4 points mechanic using to be a BWM of Austin mechanic and is very familiar with our cars. He had no problem installing the DPs and so far so good. I now notice a bit of a drone at 600rpm when stopped. Didn't expect that result.
Four Points is the area around 620 and 2222. Not far from the dealership. That is good to know.

DP is usually loud. I had a DP installed in my Speed 3 and it was unbelievably loud at 2800 rpm. It was so loud I had it uninstalled and sold it off. FMIC is probably next mod for me because of the Texas heat.

One place that is Cobb approved and works on BMW is ATX Autosport.
http://www.atxautosport.com/
Unfortunately, they are in South Austin.
__________________
Mobridge DA2 -> Helix DSP -> Mosconi AS100.4 + AS100.4 + AS200.2 -> Morel Piccolo + HAT L4SE Carbon + Jehnert XE200 + Dynaudio Esotar 1200
snaimpally is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #20
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,191
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
Interesting, never heard of this place.
Would you trust them with a Coilover install or DP?
Yes I trust Ray to do anything. That shop has grown a ton in just a year. I remember when I first went there it was just him and his dad. Now he has 2 employees. Everyone is awesome and ray always stops by to talk to you. Pretty sure he is out there working on the cars too. Ray is a fan of BMW, not just another mechanic out their grinding it out for a pay check.

Like I said I have talked to most of the BMW shops in town and besides knowing his stuff he is more on the level of some of us cheaper BMW owners. He understands not all of us has 1000's of dollars to drop on our cars.

I remember speaking to black forest shop owner and he was saying he thinks oil changes should cost much more and that its not really worth their time to do them but they are expected. So they do them

That was a turn off to me.

I prob shouldn't say this but ray really helped me out too. Like I said I don't have a ton of money to dump in my car. So when I went to him for a diagnostic of a battery light. He checked it out said I needed a new battery, but I just wanted a cheapo battery from autozone. He was like, look I know you don't want to spend a ton of money on a BMW battery. He let me put the battery in myself then updated the computer to know a new battery was installed for free.
bender rodriguez is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #21
snaimpally
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 257
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
I have been to every shop in town and the only one that knew what they were doing was Munich Auto..

http://www.yelp.com/biz/munich-auto-austin

He is honest, affordable and really knows his stuff.
I am going to check Munich Auto out. Very close to my house.

For oil changes, the Lamb's at Lake Creek services Apple leasing vehicles including BMWs so they do BMW oil changes almost every day (I drive by there on my way to work and usually take a peek at the cars in their parking lot).
__________________
Mobridge DA2 -> Helix DSP -> Mosconi AS100.4 + AS100.4 + AS200.2 -> Morel Piccolo + HAT L4SE Carbon + Jehnert XE200 + Dynaudio Esotar 1200
snaimpally is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #22
GTFISH
New Member
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: KY

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

A newer shop in south west Austin on 290 heading towards Dripping Spring is Hill Country European. They have been maintaining my car and I am pleased with their work and ease of scheduling, etc. http://hceuro.com/
GTFISH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST