E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Astrophotography, Anyone?

04-14-2015, 12:50 AM   #1
Shoof
Inspector Gadget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Astrophotography, Anyone?

Here's a few shots I've taken with my camera....some are straight camera shots with long shutter times, and some were taken with my camera connected directly to the telescope (effectively using the telescope as a giant lens).

None of these pictures were edited in any way....I'm also a bit of a rookie when it comes to using photo editing software, so other than the simple PS editing (which doesn't work much for these kinds of photos anyway), I have yet to find the time to learn how to use the editing software geared towards fixing/cleaning up these kinds of images:

Saturn:

I cropped these images in my phone, didn't realize how much I shrunk the picture, I have to pull the original image off the camera to get a larger size image...

Mars:

Jupiter:

The white speck in the sky is what the naked eye sees, and what's on the screen was the picture I took:

The easiest to take:

My Setup:

I started shooting pics of stars and constellations, but anytime I had the shutter opened for too long, the inevitable streaking appeared:

M42 (Orion)

Orion Nebula

30 second exposure while shooting the star Sirius:

I found a device called a Polarie, which you connect to your tripod, then your camera to the Polarie. When aligned (to Polaris) and activated, moves the camera at exactly the same speed as earth is moving, enabling long shutter exposures and no streaking!

Proof is in the pudding...This is Sirius in a 30 second exposure:

Also a 30 second exposure...this picture amazed me...This is Jupiter...Normally when I would shoot Jupiter through my telescope, it's impossible to get Jupiter and it's 4 moons in the same frame. The only way is by shooting multiple images, and stacking together to get them in a single image. My camera (w/o telescope) managed to get Jupiter (of course no detail, just looks like a bright star), but also was able to get the 4 moons surrounding Jupiter. Below Jupiter, the 3rd moon is too close to the halo of light around Jupiter, but the original photo, you can see it a little bit:

So? What do you think? Anyone have anything to contribute?
      04-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
P1et
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: cars

Nothing to contribute, but that's very cool!
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Jimminez
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M-Sport

^x2
What he said. Really cool shots.

Current - F31 M Sport Estoril Blue - Thread - Pic
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
malrash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT

kudos man. very very cool. keep on exploring.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
Itsed65
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i

Very nice. I'd really love to get into this, but I just don't have the time between everything else I like to shoot. I would love to be able get away from the light pollution of the bay area and set up for some milky way shots in the future. Probably have top wait until I am retired (at least another 7 years)

Keep them coming, you have some really neat shots there.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
Shoof
Inspector Gadget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65
Very nice. I'd really love to get into this, but I just don't have the time between everything else I like to shoot. I would love to be able get away from the light pollution of the bay area and set up for some milky way shots in the future. Probably have top wait until I am retired (at least another 7 years)

Keep them coming, you have some really neat shots there.
Thanks! The light pollution by me isn't good at all either. I usually limit sky viewing to late nights in my third floor apartment on my porch that has an awning on top of the porch, so I can only see a limited amount of sky. I'd love to go on my roof, but it's not exactly designed for people to be spending hours up there, not to mention hoisting a 30lb telescope on a ladder isn't smart either! I'd love to go out somewhere that there is limited light, the sky opens up so much, it's amazing!
      04-17-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
angryshortbloke
Running in the 90's
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW E90 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Holy smokes, that's badass!

2010 AW BMW 328i Sedan // Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:15 PM   #8
MrPrena
Civilian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Avalon (damaged), Nissan

Very nice shots.

You have more equipment to take a visual light spectrum photograph of planet/starts/galaxy than some astrophysicists do.
Appreciate 0