E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Ongoing 335i EML issues



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
C.J
Registered?
C.J's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Ongoing 335i EML issues

Recently my 335i has been throwing the engine management light when under load (2+ people in), randomly when accelerating. It's happend 7/8 times in the last few weeks.

The last few mornings it started up and sounded like crap (I'd guess it was missfiring), popping and running like a tank, then the EML comes on.

After a restart it would go away.

Today it's at BMW for a service, and I've asked them to check what's wrong.

They've called to say no codes stored except an exhaust flap issue. They've confirmed this would cause the issues I've mentioned.

Is there ANY possibility they are correct? I can't imagine how this is remotely connected given the way it drives.
__________________

Last edited by C.J; 01-17-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
idnan
Major
idnan's Avatar
England
23
Rep
1,471
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J View Post
Recently my 335i has been throwing the engine management light when under load (2+ people in), randomly when accelerating. It's happend 7/8 times in the last few weeks.

The last few mornings it started up and sounded like crap (I'd guess it was missfiring), popping and running like a tank, then the EML comes on.

After a restart it would go away.

Today it's at BMW for a service, and I've asked them to check what's wrong.

They've called to say no codes stored except an exhaust flap issue. They've confirmed this would cause the issues I've mentioned.

Is there ANY possibility they are correct? I can't imagine how this is remotely connected given the way it drives.
They are way off the mark. The error code would be due to the exhaust flap plug being disconnected. Pull the piece of carpet away from the passenger rear light and plug it back in. The error will go away and the problem will still be there.

I had the same issue of rough running under load and it was caused by the o2 sensors. Mine would throw an error light every few days.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Sparky68's Avatar
United Kingdom
68
Rep
3,631
Posts

Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Are you talking about the flap at the rear? Id be very suprised if that made any difference to it, get them to check the pre cat 02 sensors.
__________________
Titanium Silver - Lemon Dakota Interior
LM Reps - Borla Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe - Blow Off - JB4 G5 ISO - Burger Tuning Intake - Koni Street Shocks - Apex Springs - Whiteline Bushes - M3 rear Arms - M3 Front arms -Amspeed Adjustable Drop Links - Akebono Pads
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Sparky68's Avatar
United Kingdom
68
Rep
3,631
Posts

Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Damn you idnan lol!!!!!
__________________
Titanium Silver - Lemon Dakota Interior
LM Reps - Borla Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe - Blow Off - JB4 G5 ISO - Burger Tuning Intake - Koni Street Shocks - Apex Springs - Whiteline Bushes - M3 rear Arms - M3 Front arms -Amspeed Adjustable Drop Links - Akebono Pads
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
C.J
Registered?
C.J's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I thought as much. I know I've disconnected the flap before (to hear the difference), so this is obviously what the code is they are seeing.

Any idea what is causing the problem?

When the EML shows, I lose all power too.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Sparky68's Avatar
United Kingdom
68
Rep
3,631
Posts

Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Fuel mix is probably all over the place so it is cutting boost.
__________________
Titanium Silver - Lemon Dakota Interior
LM Reps - Borla Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe - Blow Off - JB4 G5 ISO - Burger Tuning Intake - Koni Street Shocks - Apex Springs - Whiteline Bushes - M3 rear Arms - M3 Front arms -Amspeed Adjustable Drop Links - Akebono Pads
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
idnan
Major
idnan's Avatar
England
23
Rep
1,471
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (9)

As Sparky says, probably the o2 sensors aren't seeing the correct fuel mixture being burnt so is adding/removing fuel which means it isn't injecting the right fuel for the next combustion cycle.

Get the code cleared for the flap and take it back. Is the car under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
CustomColours
Banned
8
Rep
792
Posts

Drives: 335i SE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

iTrader: (0)

Bmw garages are worse than back street now days. They litterely will waffle anything for some money.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
C.J
Registered?
C.J's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

It's with BMW Hull (Stratstone)at the moment (in for a service). It's under warranty (100 excess).

I've just spoken to them again. They have confirmed a misfire is present on their diagnostics, and points to the exhaust flap.

I'm not a mechanic, but I expressed my complete surprise at this causing the misfire/lack of power. They will replace this tomorrow and test it again.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
14
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 335i (sadly gone)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Essex

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
They are talking bollox about the exhaust flap. How coud that cause a missfire? I had the same thing and as mentioned it was a pre cat O2 sensor. It should store a code for this though. I would get the codes read while the light is on (without restarting etc) if possible.

ask them for the codes they read that pointed to a missfire, which cylider/cylinders where they in? If they say 1-3 you have left bank pre cat O2 sensor and if 4-6 you have right bank. If it is a single cylinder or 1&5 it points to something else like coils/plugs/injectors.

Is it lumpy on idle and cold start up, or is it fine untill the light comes on under load?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #11
C.J
Registered?
C.J's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
They are talking bollox about the exhaust flap. How coud that cause a missfire? I had the same thing and as mentioned it was a pre cat O2 sensor. It should store a code for this though. I would get the codes read while the light is on (without restarting etc) if possible.

ask them for the codes they read that pointed to a missfire, which cylider/cylinders where they in? If they say 1-3 you have left bank pre cat O2 sensor and if 4-6 you have right bank. If it is a single cylinder or 1&5 it points to something else like coils/plugs/injectors.

Is it lumpy on idle and cold start up, or is it fine untill the light comes on under load?
Thanks Nick.

It varies.

A few times I've started it up, and it's clearly misfiring. Other times it's perfect then stutters under load and the light comes on.

It first came on while driving home from BMW in November after having the wastegate rattle fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
Bavarian Black's Avatar
No_Country
2
Rep
297
Posts

Drives: 08 335i MS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: LB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomColours View Post
Bmw garages are worse than back street now days. They litterely will waffle anything for some money.
Exactly! The amount of times I've had the authorised stealership say one thing that costs 4 times the amount of an Indy shop with the latest
Autologic and certified BMW Mechanics do the job better and quicker then them.

Just go for an AM Exhast if ur budget is cool. I recommend AFe bit that's my personal choice. There are tons to chose from and I'm full decat.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
Bavarian Black's Avatar
No_Country
2
Rep
297
Posts

Drives: 08 335i MS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: LB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J View Post
Thanks Nick.

It varies.

A few times I've started it up, and it's clearly misfiring. Other times it's perfect then stutters under load and the light comes on.

It first came on while driving home from BMW in November after having the wastegate rattle fixed.
Sorry to butt in-could be the plugs so check when you last changed them and make sure there the approved high performance ones. Also another theory, plug 1 had some rust on it and this was evident when changing the O Gasket cover, so we slowly used uni-abrasive sand paper to take it off, however I done it bc of maintence not misfires.

Once again good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
C.J
Registered?
C.J's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Black View Post
Sorry to butt in-could be the plugs so check when you last changed them and make sure there the approved high performance ones. Also another theory, plug 1 had some rust on it and this was evident when changing the O Gasket cover, so we slowly used uni-abrasive sand paper to take it off, however I done it bc of maintence not misfires.

Once again good luck
Thank you.

The plugs were last replaced in June/July last year (during a HPFP replacement) under warranty.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
14
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 335i (sadly gone)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Essex

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J View Post
Thanks Nick.

It varies.

A few times I've started it up, and it's clearly misfiring. Other times it's perfect then stutters under load and the light comes on.

It first came on while driving home from BMW in November after having the wastegate rattle fixed.
And on cold start I bet if you restart after 30 secs it is fine again (untill the light come son under load)?

I would be willing to bet my own money it is one of the pre cat O2 sensors
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
C.J
Registered?
C.J's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
And on cold start I bet if you restart after 30 secs it is fine again (untill the light come son under load)?

I would be willing to bet my own money it is one of the pre cat O2 sensors
I hope you're right.

I'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up, again.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #17
KrisM79
Major
KrisM79's Avatar
Scotland
28
Rep
1,169
Posts

Drives: F32 435D Msport
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Total Rubbish,the flap makes no difference to engine performance /running and is purely for sound damping.It does have a very mild effect on catalyst warm up time but will never cause a misfire.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #18
C.J
Registered?
C.J's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

BMW called this morning.

Exhaust flap changed, car still showing EML. It's saying Coil 2 code.

This will be replaced on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #19
idnan
Major
idnan's Avatar
England
23
Rep
1,471
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J View Post
BMW called this morning.

Exhaust flap changed, car still showing EML. It's saying Coil 2 code.

This will be replaced on Monday.
Not a surprise. Imagine how much money BMW waste on throwing parts on cars like this when it has no link whatsover to the actual issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #20
MAN15H
First Lieutenant
MAN15H's Avatar
United Kingdom
5
Rep
306
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door Auto MSport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bedfordshire

iTrader: (1)

My car is doing the same thing as this one.
Randomly the EML light comes on and I get the message on the idrive screen telling me "Engine fault ! Reduced engine power" and the car becomes under powered.
As soon as I turn the car off and back on the fault is cleared and the car runs OK maybe for a while or for ages.

I currently have a warranty with warranty wise so will get this checked out and see if the work can be claimed under this warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #21
zltm089
Major General
zltm089's Avatar
United Kingdom
98
Rep
7,541
Posts

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J View Post
BMW called this morning.

Exhaust flap changed, car still showing EML. It's saying Coil 2 code.

This will be replaced on Monday.
hah! I was going to say nothing to do with exhaust flap! At least you got a new flap!

What a bunch of morons!
__________________

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #22
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
14
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 335i (sadly gone)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Essex

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
It's a bit worrying when the BMW dealer 'experts' can get it that wrong. It would be funny if the reality was not so frustrating.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST