E90Post

Motormavericks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Transfer Case Worm Gear Replacement Part. Anyone Try?

11-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
skier_du

Drives: 335Xi

Transfer Case Worm Gear Replacement Part. Anyone Try?

My transfer case worm gear just took a dive a couple nights ago. I've been researching them to see what's current for solutions. While I was perusing ebay for a less expensive actuator motor replacement, I came across someone selling a replacement worm gear they made of their own design. It looks like it could be legit. The guy is out of Newark NJ and makes these himself out of mild steel. He appears to be a CNC machinist. Anyone try this or have any idea as to how well this may work? If this does actually work out, other than labor, this is finally a cost effective, @ $60, fix for our transfer cases!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111520586910...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited by skier_du; 11-20-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
u's2drift
Private

Drives: Stock 07 335xi

I emailed the maker of this. Nice guy. Made this because the worm gear in his 328xi was damaged and didn't want to have to buy the whole unit.
Thoughts.... If you are driving your XI car normal IE not launching nor power shifting, I think this unit is great and will work for anyone. If your track or street racing then I can see it being an issue. The gear that the worm spins is plastic if I'm not mistaken. Either way the maker feels that it won't hold. He can make that gear out of a harder metal, just he hasn't had to. Also he hasn't sold any. I believe it could be worth a shot of trying only if your current worm gear needs to be replaced, you are willing to do the work yourself and if the gear breaks you are understand you'd have to replace the whole unit. It hasn't been proven and there is only one 328xi out there (the makers) doing the r&d.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 05:36 AM   #3
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Great find! This was talked about several years ago, did not realize someone actually went out and did it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
skier_du

Quote:
Originally Posted by u's2drift View Post
I emailed the maker of this. Nice guy. Made this because the worm gear in his 328xi was damaged and didn't want to have to buy the whole unit.
Thoughts.... If you are driving your XI car normal IE not launching nor power shifting, I think this unit is great and will work for anyone. If your track or street racing then I can see it being an issue. The gear that the worm spins is plastic if I'm not mistaken. Either way the maker feels that it won't hold. He can make that gear out of a harder metal, just he hasn't had to. Also he hasn't sold any. I believe it could be worth a shot of trying only if your current worm gear needs to be replaced, you are willing to do the work yourself and if the gear breaks you are understand you'd have to replace the whole unit. It hasn't been proven and there is only one 328xi out there (the makers) doing the r&d.
Thanks. Good to know.
Thoughts... I feel that if one is racing the XI, it doesn't matter if it's this gear or the factory, it will eventually go out. that having been said: I'd be reluctant to make the gear much stronger. Once it's strong enough, then the week link is shifted. Which of course means the likelihood of breaking something more expensive to repair would be higher. I don't know about you, but I'd rather replace the worm gear than break any part of the actual transfer case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Great find! This was talked about several years ago, did not realize someone actually went out and did it.
Agree. It's about time an engineer/machinist picks this up.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States

Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [2.50]
i remember reading about this a while ago..
      11-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
skier_du

The guy who makes it, Jerry, is going to try to make a video of how to install the worm gear into the actuator.
Appreciate 0