E90Post
 


Motormavericks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Caliper Cover



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
BRAISKI
Colonel
Spain
50

 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada


Posts: 2,392
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Caliper Cover

Has anyone checked this out?

http://www.calipercovers.com/_e/dept...-004/22073.htm

I'm happy with the stock brakes and no need to get an after market caliper, but instead of painting the caliper a cover looks nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
pepep
PEPEP
Canada
8

 
pepep's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E92 328i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: True North


Posts: 612
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i coupe  [4.75]
__________________
Sports/Premium/BMW Assist-BT/BMW Performance Exhaust/Ceramic tint/LUX H8 V2/Miro 111 19"/Falken 452
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
77

 
#Tee's Avatar
 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal


Posts: 4,863
iTrader: (1)

wow nice...you can even get your initials engraved. they should of made it a magnet stick on type for easy in/uninstall. I would totally install a illest decal on these babies.
__________________

#TeamStretchNpoke IG:Tee212

custom cf rear side diffuser add ons for sale (e9x,M3s,f3x) pm me for details. thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962442
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Dr. G
Brigadier General
80

 
Dr. G's Avatar
 
Drives: Black e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brampton, Ontario


Posts: 4,953
iTrader: (32)

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [4.35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke View Post
wow nice...you can even get your initials engraved. they should of made it a magnet stick on type for easy in/uninstall. I would totally install a illest decal on these babies.
I had a feeling I might find you in here LOL.
__________________
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
77

 
#Tee's Avatar
 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal


Posts: 4,863
iTrader: (1)

!!! goona blow my cover:P i took two semesters of trollology, must put it to use now.
__________________

#TeamStretchNpoke IG:Tee212

custom cf rear side diffuser add ons for sale (e9x,M3s,f3x) pm me for details. thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962442
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
obert
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
25

 
obert's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 N54 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle Wa


Posts: 1,597
iTrader: (18)

I am not sure if you guys really like these or what but for me this falls under the rice look just like Honda putting brembo brake covers on their cars.

Cheap crap and for the price I could find something way better to buy. Like a full tank of gas
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
cc_25
Private First Class
Canada
1

 
cc_25's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON


Posts: 107
iTrader: (0)

Not to mention heat is the enemy of brakes. I can't see how enclosing the caliper in metal and preventing air from getting to it would do anything other than decrease braking performance. Educated guess anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
BRAISKI
Colonel
Spain
50

 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada


Posts: 2,392
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_25 View Post
Not to mention heat is the enemy of brakes. I can't see how enclosing the caliper in metal and preventing air from getting to it would do anything other than decrease braking performance. Educated guess anyway.
Good educated guess but that doesnt affect the performance of the caliper. However the slotted/drilled rotors does decrease the breaking performance. Its simple physics. But thats another topic

Just like the Brembo or BBK they are enclosed its just more permanent.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
5

 
johnniewalker's Avatar
 
Drives: 328 xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: GTA, Canada


Posts: 552
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
Good educated guess but that doesnt affect the performance of the caliper. However the slotted/drilled rotors does decrease the breaking performance. Its simple physics. But thats another topic

Just like the Brembo or BBK they are enclosed its just more permanent.
Wait, Please elaborate a bit more in your point. How do "slotted and drilled rotors decrease performance" ?

I always thought it increases performance,

1. More cooling, less fading ( i think we both agree in this one)

2. There is more friction on the drilled/slotted rotors (This is the debatable one)

This is the way i look at it:
It is always easier to slide an object on a plant surface than a rusty surface (in this case drilled and slotted). Because the surface of the drilled and slotted rotors provide more resistance to the pads.

Correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, I personally wouldn't go with the calliper covers.
__________________
Performance Intake and Exhaust, Apex arc-8, KW v1, Vorshlag camber, ER brake lines, Lux V4, AA tune
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
BRAISKI
Colonel
Spain
50

 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada


Posts: 2,392
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
Wait, Please elaborate a bit more in your point. How do "slotted and drilled rotors decrease performance" ?

I always thought it increases performance,

1. More cooling, less fading ( i think we both agree in this one)

2. There is more friction on the drilled/slotted rotors (This is the debatable one)

This is the way i look at it:
It is always easier to slide an object on a plant surface than a rusty surface (in this case drilled and slotted). Because the surface of the drilled and slotted rotors provide more resistance to the pads.

Correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, I personally wouldn't go with the calliper covers.

Actually drilled/slotted doesnt provide more resistance, it actually makes it less. The more holes/slots the less surface area the pads are gripping, so less friction. Have you ever wondered why race cars uses slick tires rather than tires with thread. Its about Coefficients Of Friction or (COF).

As for rusty surface, most rotors have rust spots after a rain/wash and once you drive the car and apply your brakes it goes away.

This was marketed as "good for cooling/braking power" and it looks cool and has a racing look. Thats why you see this in Lambo's, Ferrari or M3s. Sales (car and brake manufacturer) folks would have more "convincing" way of why crossdrilled is good.

If you ever notice, F1 cars doesnt use them and thats the epitome of racing. Even some professional racing cars doesnt some may have the slotted (small/shallow slots) but never crossdrilled.



As for the the brake cover, it just looks nice, I prefer it rather than painting it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
Havok_2011
Canada
58

 
Havok_2011's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 3,015
iTrader: (7)

1. Not fond of brake caliper covers. Used to be all the rage with guys when I had my RSX. I thinks its silly. If you don'thave Brembo's dont stick a fake brembo caliper cover on the car. If you don't have a big brake kit, why pretend? Its like guys sticking on M3 badges on their cars is it not?

2. BRAISKI is correct drilled/slotted does not provide more resistance. The initial theory is that they release the gaseous state created by the pads. Though pads today don't create gases anymore. So this theory is mute. It's really for aesthetic purposes, Ferrari and Porsche admit to putting them on their cars for aesthetic reasons alone.

Bottom line, a decrease in area of contact, results in a decrease of braking ability.

I do believe that drilled rotors can provide some cooling, considering the speed in movement, it should function like air tunnels and cool the plate more...but that was not the intent. However, drilled rotors if not if a high caliber can crack....yes it has happened. I can't find any good reason for slotted rotors. Both are just for aesthetics....and they do look cool. However, also creates a higher chance of squeaking when braking...which drives me crazzzzy.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
e90sexion
E 9 0 S E X I O N
Canada
80

 
e90sexion's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, Z4MC
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver/WA


Posts: 6,361
iTrader: (16)

I would laugh at the car with those on, i am not a dick tho
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
51

 
Slow_335i's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Peoria IL


Posts: 2,493
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [3.32]
Please don't buy these!

They look so ghetto!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
1lyfe
Major
Canada
19

 
1lyfe's Avatar
 
Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto


Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (1)

if it was going for like 30 - 40 bucks i would MAYBE consider them just for a black one with no lettering on them...
but at 200 bucks..id rather fund it towards a tune..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
Andy M
Canada
29

 
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto


Posts: 1,207
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
1. Not fond of brake caliper covers. Used to be all the rage with guys when I had my RSX. I thinks its silly. If you don'thave Brembo's dont stick a fake brembo caliper cover on the car. If you don't have a big brake kit, why pretend? Its like guys sticking on M3 badges on their cars is it not?

2. BRAISKI is correct drilled/slotted does not provide more resistance. The initial theory is that they release the gaseous state created by the pads. Though pads today don't create gases anymore. So this theory is mute. It's really for aesthetic purposes, Ferrari and Porsche admit to putting them on their cars for aesthetic reasons alone.

Bottom line, a decrease in area of contact, results in a decrease of braking ability.

I do believe that drilled rotors can provide some cooling, considering the speed in movement, it should function like air tunnels and cool the plate more...but that was not the intent. However, drilled rotors if not if a high caliber can crack....yes it has happened. I can't find any good reason for slotted rotors. Both are just for aesthetics....and they do look cool. However, also creates a higher chance of squeaking when braking...which drives me crazzzzy.
From what I understand, drilled rotors provide an area for water to drain out of (because water acts as a lubricant) and slotted rotors clean the surface of the brake pad so you'll have a "fresh" surface. i.e. it eats it away. Good for racing, not so good for daily use.

Aww screw it, they look cool.

Anyway for the brake caliber covers, I say to each his own but the caliper covers look REALLY fake. Doesn't even look like real Brembos. Kind of reminds me of those cheesy looking cellphone face plate covers back in the day of removable face plates on the Nokia brick phones.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #16
Andy M
Canada
29

 
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto


Posts: 1,207
iTrader: (5)

Another thing...

HOLY CRAP THAT'S EXPENSIVE! $200 for caliper COVERS?!!!!

Ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3D-Brembo-Sty...item3a675b601e

At least the bolts are actually glued on so it looks real as opposed to painted. You can get these caliper covers for waaay cheaper than the $200 in the link above at Pacific Mall (try $30?)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
rbtamms
Major
Philippines
18

 
rbtamms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 and 2013 F25
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 1,397
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
I had my Brembo cover for almost a year now & I didn't regret putting it on. Even the technicians at BMW didn't notice that it's just a cover. I didn't like painting my caliper because it's messy to do & will take some time to dry unlike the cover that only took me less than an hour to install including removing tires. Bottom line...it's my car & I don't care what other think about it like rice, noodles, soup etc. You're the one spending on your car, so do what will please you not others. But I only spend $27 for the cover, so if I didn't like it, I can just kiss my $27 goodbye...but I didn't.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
35

 
Zebra99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335is E93
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ontario


Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
SimplyTire paints all four any colour you want and puts a BMW logo as well for under $120. This looks much nicer IMO than these ghetto covers.

But I too would be concerned with heat not dissipating as quickly because of the cover.

Too each there own I guess. OP don't do it!! you'll ruin your beautiful car lol
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
19

 
nitehawk's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 1,630
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Drilled vs Slotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post

2. BRAISKI is correct drilled/slotted does not provide more resistance. The initial theory is that they release the gaseous state created by the pads. Though pads today don't create gases anymore. So this theory is mute. It's really for aesthetic purposes, Ferrari and Porsche admit to putting them on their cars for aesthetic reasons alone.

Bottom line, a decrease in area of contact, results in a decrease of braking ability.

I do believe that drilled rotors can provide some cooling, considering the speed in movement, it should function like air tunnels and cool the plate more...but that was not the intent. However, drilled rotors if not if a high caliber can crack....yes it has happened. I can't find any good reason for slotted rotors. Both are just for aesthetics....and they do look cool. However, also creates a higher chance of squeaking when braking...which drives me crazzzzy.
From STOPTECH themselves:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...rade-selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOPTECH
For many years most racing rotors were drilled. There were two reasons - the holes gave the "fireband" boundary layer of gasses and particulate matter someplace to go and the edges of the holes gave the pad a better "bite".

Unfortunately the drilled holes also reduced the thermal capacity of the discs and served as very effective "stress raisers" significantly decreasing disc life. Improvements in friction materials have pretty much made the drilled rotor a thing of the past in racing. Most racing rotors currently feature a series of tangential slots or channels that serve the same purpose without the attendant disadvantages.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #20
BRAISKI
Colonel
Spain
50

 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada


Posts: 2,392
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
SimplyTire paints all four any colour you want and puts a BMW logo as well for under $120. This looks much nicer IMO than these ghetto covers.

But I too would be concerned with heat not dissipating as quickly because of the cover.

Too each there own I guess. OP don't do it!! you'll ruin your beautiful car lol

Do you have a pic? Do they do a clear coat too?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
BRAISKI
Colonel
Spain
50

 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada


Posts: 2,392
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Good read from another forum...

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspe...dissolved.html
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
Dr. G
Brigadier General
80

 
Dr. G's Avatar
 
Drives: Black e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brampton, Ontario


Posts: 4,953
iTrader: (32)

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [4.35]
Braiski, they clear coat them as well. I don't have any pics, but I've seen them in person and they grind the caliper down nicely before hand and smooth it all out. The finish definitely looks a lot better than doing them at home with a brush on kit.

As for the rotors, who gives a shit haha... too many people on here worry about performance like they are some time attack masters... just get whatever floats your boat. Sacrificing your car's looks/driveability for 364 days of the year in order to drive on the track one day of the year isn't worth it.
__________________
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST