E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > WTF..its coming off??



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #45
beskone
Captain
 
beskone's Avatar
 
Drives: LeMans BLue e92 335i LCI
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 915
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2012 e92 335i LCI  [0.00]
2009 e92 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
He says its not permanent. He knows this spoiler has got to come off in a year.
Maybe the stronger 3M Black tape instead of the Gray?

LTMBW used it to put a not so well fitting spoiler on my last car, and man that thing was *STUCK* Never had an issue with it once.
__________________

e92 LCI • LeMans Blue • Saddle Brown • Bamboo Anthracite • Performance Grilles • CF Performance Spoiler • CF Performance Diffuser • ACS Style Roof Spoiler • LED Interior Lighting • BMS Clutch Stop • BMS Intake • BMS CDV • BMW Performance Exhaust • ST V1 Coilovers • Miro 111 Staggered • More to come!
beskone is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #46
kitkat1723
Lieutenant
 
kitkat1723's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 325i - sold
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Round Lake, IL

Posts: 506
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2006 E90 325i  [4.75]
Quote:
Eff.... I washed my car after I put it on.
its ok i put mine on in the rain...lol
kitkat1723 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #47
Sara504
Lieutenant General
 
Sara504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Posts: 17,671
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat1723 View Post
its ok i put mine on in the rain...lol
haha go us!
__________________

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11
Sara504 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #48
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
 
Drives: 2006 BS 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S. Bay Area, CA + Newark, NJ + ChiCity + True Blue

Posts: 11,038
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
use the 20 pound double sided tape from 3m
__________________
looking for a PreLCI Black Sapphire e90 front bumper without license plate holes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
just4kickz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #49
Johnny D
Major
 
Johnny D's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hot Springs, AR

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
It seems like its on pretty solid still. The whole front of the spoiler is on there perfectly and so is the left side of the rear but I just dont want to take a chance and have it fly off.
Over time the area that isn't adhered to the car will get water and dirt under it. Eventually it will come off. You should be fine for a few weeks if you have to. Remember though, the longer that 3m tape on the rest of it is bonded, the harder it will be to remove.
__________________
Johnny D is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #50
Sara504
Lieutenant General
 
Sara504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Posts: 17,671
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntar View Post
Over time the area that isn't adhered to the car will get water and dirt under it. Eventually it will come off. You should be fine for a few weeks if you have to. Remember though, the longer that 3m tape on the rest of it is bonded, the harder it will be to remove.
Its coming off Saturday. Tech is texting me to take it off now but Im scared Im going to crack it.


This is why I own horses lol and not a chihuahua. I like strong things not delicate things
__________________

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11
Sara504 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #51
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
 
#Tee's Avatar
 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat1723 View Post
its ok i put mine on in the rain...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
haha go us!
have you guys ever thought about lezzing out? i mean its pretty trendy for chicks in their early 20's to mix things up with another girl ...maybe something like scissoring? i heard thats addicting :O just throwing it out there....no big deal....heck you dont even have to respond to this.
__________________

#TeamStretchNpoke IG:Tee212
custom cf rear side diffuser add ons for sale (e9x,M3s,f3x) pm me for details. thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962442
#Tee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #52
Sara504
Lieutenant General
 
Sara504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Posts: 17,671
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke View Post
have you guys ever thought about lezzing out? i mean its pretty trendy for chicks in their early 20's to mix things up with another girl ...maybe something like scissoring? i heard thats addicting :O just throwing it out there....no big deal....heck you dont even have to respond to this.
Tee dont scare her off!! She doesnt know your crude sense of humor like I do


** just for the record Im strictly dickly
__________________

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11
Sara504 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #53
kitkat1723
Lieutenant
 
kitkat1723's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 325i - sold
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Round Lake, IL

Posts: 506
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2006 E90 325i  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504
Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke View Post
have you guys ever thought about lezzing out? i mean its pretty trendy for chicks in their early 20's to mix things up with another girl ...maybe something like scissoring? i heard thats addicting :O just throwing it out there....no big deal....heck you dont even have to respond to this.
Tee dont scare her off!! She doesnt know your crude sense of humor like I do


** just for the record Im strictly dickly
Haha that was funny and I'm already taken anyway and I'm sure she is too
kitkat1723 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #54
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
 
#Tee's Avatar
 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)

lolol its ok, its my way of stereotyping ppls. If they cant accept my ways *cues japanese flute knock knock* then we have no future. Only a few ppl in here including you knows how i am haha.

when im tired of logging on to fb only to see ppl posting photos of bottles of hard liquor,fancy foods, vacation backgrounds, vegas baby!, how cute their babies are, all of these stance fan pages, or just ppl with relationship issues updating their status in hopes to send the message across to their sex partner. Ill cum in here to bs un-wind and have fun :P
__________________

#TeamStretchNpoke IG:Tee212
custom cf rear side diffuser add ons for sale (e9x,M3s,f3x) pm me for details. thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962442
#Tee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #55
Sara504
Lieutenant General
 
Sara504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Posts: 17,671
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke View Post
lolol its ok, its my way of stereotyping ppls. If they cant accept my ways *cues japanese flute knock knock* then we have no future. Only a few ppl in here including you knows how i am haha.

when im tired of logging on to fb only to see ppl posting photos of bottles of hard liquor,fancy foods, vacation backgrounds, vegas baby!, how cute their babies are, all of these stance fan pages, or just ppl with relationship issues updating their status in hopes to send the message across to their sex partner. Ill cum in here to bs un-wind and have fun :P
And this is why we love you. But more importantly why you no rate coffee no mo? Sum ting wong?
__________________

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11
Sara504 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #56
Sara504
Lieutenant General
 
Sara504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Posts: 17,671
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat1723 View Post
Haha that was funny and I'm already taken anyway and I'm sure she is too
Single by choice . Tired of the bs
__________________

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11
Sara504 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #57
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,145
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
And this is why we love you. But more importantly why you no rate coffee no mo? Sum ting wong?
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #58
psmitty95
Brigadier General
 
psmitty95's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenwich, CT/ Dallas, TX

Posts: 3,592
iTrader: (8)

I installed mine using the 3M outdoor tape which i can't remember for sure but i think it was rated at 5 lbs. I just made sure to put it on any edge of the spoiler that would touch the trunk and it has been on perfectly since then with no issues. The night i put mine on it poured until the morning and when i got out it was still on solid with no issues. My strategy was just use two people and get it aligned then push down really hard for a minute or two. One thing i'd suggest which i made the mistake of not doing is make sure that on one side you have tape covering everything so you can't see gaps. Someone here said don't use one strip which is a good idea but still make sure there are no gaps or you'll see them from certain angles. I'll put a picture to explain what i'm trying to say below but if you look closely you can see the two gaps where I forgot to put the tape.

__________________
< Click picture for photoshoot
E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
Mods: FBO + Meth JB4 ISO, BB flash, VRSF DP/FMIC, ER CP, Stett, SteveAZ LPFP & more
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
psmitty95 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #59
khaye1
Colonel
 
khaye1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 MW 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego

Posts: 2,687
iTrader: (7)

I wasn't gonna read through all the comments but...if you washed it right after, yes you screwed up the curing process of the tape.

Mine is stuck on with the same exact tape and it's in there good. Here's what I did differently:

1. Prep the spoiler...clean the side where you're gonna stick the tape with alcohol.
2. Heat it up with the hair dryer/heat gun
3. Stick the DS tape
4. Clay the trunk
5. Heat up the trunk with a hair dryer/heat gun
6. Peel the tape...not all the way, just the two edges and make sure you can pull the red part off once the edge is stuck on the car
7. Position the spoiler, stick the edges
8. Peel the red non sticky part and apply pressure while you peel and make sure you heat as needed
9. Use blue painters tape to hold it in place for hours...I have a beater so I just let it sit for a day.
10. DO NOT WASH IT! Atleast for a week and avoid direct water pressure when you do.

Oh yeah, you forgot the NSFW payment! Not too late to post, and +1 on the lezzy idea...please post pics if you decide to. LOL
__________________

Last edited by khaye1; 08-10-2012 at 12:37 AM.
khaye1 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #60
e90sexion
E 9 0 S E X I O N
 
e90sexion's Avatar
 
Drives: like old times
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver/WA

Posts: 6,217
iTrader: (16)

not enough tape maybe
e90sexion is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #61
bastiN54
möp
 
bastiN54's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i N54
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Germany

Posts: 463
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504
He says its not permanent. He knows this spoiler has got to come off in a year.
Why does it have to come off in a Year???

I put duct tape all over my lip for a month
__________________
"if one day the speed kills me, do not cry because i was smiling." Paul Walker
bastiN54 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #62
Malbolge
Major General
 
Malbolge's Avatar
 
Drives: TiAg Z4 Coupe 3.0Si
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: EE

Posts: 5,226
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
im using the tape that is used to hold mirrors in bathrooms, not this 3M tape. I don't know if it'll hold better, but my logic was - mirrors are heavy, and bathrooms are humid. So it's kinda of an insurance for humid climate and should hold well too. Will see. I still think a betalink solution is gonna be the right one in the end.


Also, make sure you have degreased the trunk and spoiler, work in gloves, apply tape pressure to fix it over night, etc.
__________________
'07 TiAg BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si / Everything
Malbolge is offline   Estonia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #63
Sara504
Lieutenant General
 
Sara504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Posts: 17,671
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
I installed mine using the 3M outdoor tape which i can't remember for sure but i think it was rated at 5 lbs. I just made sure to put it on any edge of the spoiler that would touch the trunk and it has been on perfectly since then with no issues. The night i put mine on it poured until the morning and when i got out it was still on solid with no issues. My strategy was just use two people and get it aligned then push down really hard for a minute or two. One thing i'd suggest which i made the mistake of not doing is make sure that on one side you have tape covering everything so you can't see gaps. Someone here said don't use one strip which is a good idea but still make sure there are no gaps or you'll see them from certain angles. I'll put a picture to explain what i'm trying to say below but if you look closely you can see the two gaps where I forgot to put the tape.
Hmm yeah I can see the gaps on yours.. We use two people to install mine. Once Phuoc put all the tape on it, we lined it up where I wanted it to go and then he pushed down on one side and I pushed down on the other. The right side... the sides the coming up.. damn it! I guess I dont weight enough lol Shoot maybe I wasnt pushing hard enough. I know I was really concerned about putting weight on it because I didnt want to crack it

Also Im sure it doesnt help that Louisiana weather SUCKS. Its rained every day for the past 3 weeks and there is rain the next 10 days in the forecast. It only rains for about an hour heavily but it leaves the area humid all day and night. I dont have a garage like Phouc has. I have a two car brick car port so there's mositure on my car in the AM. I wonder when it gets redone on Saturday if I should put a towel on my trunk every night so it doesnt get wet What does everyone think about that.

This is what I have to park under. I can keep it mostly dry but not 100%
Attached Images
 
__________________

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11

Last edited by Sara504; 08-10-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Sara504 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #64
Sara504
Lieutenant General
 
Sara504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Posts: 17,671
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
I wasn't gonna read through all the comments but...if you washed it right after, yes you screwed up the curing process of the tape.

Mine is stuck on with the same exact tape and it's in there good. Here's what I did differently:

1. Prep the spoiler...clean the side where you're gonna stick the tape with alcohol.
2. Heat it up with the hair dryer/heat gun
3. Stick the DS tape
4. Clay the trunk
5. Heat up the trunk with a hair dryer/heat gun
6. Peel the tape...not all the way, just the two edges and make sure you can pull the red part off once the edge is stuck on the car
7. Position the spoiler, stick the edges
8. Peel the red non sticky part and apply pressure while you peel and make sure you heat as needed
9. Use blue painters tape to hold it in place for hours...I have a beater so I just let it sit for a day.
10. DO NOT WASH IT! Atleast for a week and avoid direct water pressure when you do.

Oh yeah, you forgot the NSFW payment! Not too late to post, and +1 on the lezzy idea...please post pics if you decide to. LOL
You wanna come do this?
__________________

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11
Sara504 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #65
Sara504
Lieutenant General
 
Sara504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Posts: 17,671
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastiN54 View Post
Why does it have to come off in a Year???

I put duct tape all over my lip for a month
I want a 335is next year. (because dct) This car is a lease. I really dont think Im going to buy it out.
__________________

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11
Sara504 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #66
khaye1
Colonel
 
khaye1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 MW 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego

Posts: 2,687
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
You wanna come do this?
which part...take pics of your first lesbian experience? Sure! why not

peel it off and re-do it, it's compromised now...might even fall off when you're going >100 mph.................and don't even tell me you don't do that sh!t
__________________
khaye1 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST