E90Post
 


Bimmertech
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > To many miles for a remap?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Chris33
Second Lieutenant
 
Chris33's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oxfordshire

Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)

To many miles for a remap?

My car is 12 months old on the 24th and has covered 18200 miles.

Do you think it's to late to have it remapped to 208 bhp by DMS?

I was going to have it done months ago but due to unforseen circumstances didn't.

Just a little concerned the engine is well run in and to increase bhp might not do it any favours.
__________________
Le Mans blue/ black leather with Aluminum trim/ privacy glass/ xenon's/ black line rear lights/ OEM 18inch M Sport wheel upgrade/ PDC/ blue tooth/ Hi-Fi speaker system/ heated front seats/ storage pack/ auto lights+wipers/ green sun strip/ OEM boot spoiler/
external mirror package.
Chris33 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Z4M
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 1,549
iTrader: (0)

Chris it`ll do it no harm whatsoever. FYI I followed an E90 320d from 80-140 and my remapped 325d was only marginally quicker. I think he was pretty much done there and I could`ve gone for another 20-25 but acc. wise there was very little in it. His must`ve been really boosted `tho as there was smoke pouring from the exhaust and I mean really pouring like a smoke screen. If you don`t have a particle filter bear this in mind but any decent tuner will accomodate for this anyway.
mikem is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
NFS
Major General
 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 9,214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris33 View Post
My car is 12 months old on the 24th and has covered 18200 miles.

Do you think it's to late to have it remapped to 208 bhp by DMS?

I was going to have it done months ago but due to unforseen circumstances didn't.

Just a little concerned the engine is well run in and to increase bhp might not do it any favours.
Welcome back Chris ... it's never to late and 18,000 miles is nothing for a BMW engine.

Barely run in.
__________________
NFS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
you having a joke bud??

18200 miles is sweet FA. I would expect even a re-mapped diesel to well over 150k miles of hard abuse!!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
jonno_
New Member
 
Drives: 330d Sport [AmD]
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oxfordshire

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Certainly not too late.
If anything, its more usual to put a few miles on to run in before remapping. That way you can check all is well out of the box before upping the ante.

Worth considerering other firms too - DMS will do a super job, but for a price.
Depending on driving style and duty cycle, I'd not really consider a BM diesel fully run-in till 15-20k miles.
jonno_ is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
- Paul -
Major General
 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Posts: 7,266
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
I was always under the impression that the more miles the better for a remap. Going to get mine done eventually, if there are any more interested, we could try and arrange a group discount.
__________________
- Paul - is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 06:11 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
i am very interested!!!

also dms is what 500-600 quid? so about the goin rate?
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
Evil Diesel
Captain
 
Evil Diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London

Posts: 803
iTrader: (0)

Has anyone used e-maps?

They are talking about mapping a 335d to 350 bhp, 700 n/m torque resulting in a 0 - 60 of 4.7, 60 - 100 at 2.8

At 60 mph you are going to need a Lambo to beat the thing!

At 700 n/m this is going to be close to the transmission software shutting the thing down I would have thought.
Evil Diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
Has anyone used e-maps?

They are talking about mapping a 335d to 350 bhp, 700 n/m torque resulting in a 0 - 60 of 4.7, 60 - 100 at 2.8

At 60 mph you are going to need a Lambo to beat the thing!

At 700 n/m this is going to be close to the transmission software shutting the thing down I would have thought.
i cant see the trans having a problem? people are already running that power with no probs


60-100 in 2.8????


where are e-maps based?? do they cover any sort of warranty on the box/engine like dms do?

whats 700nm in pounds?? 540?

Carl
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #10
Evil Diesel
Captain
 
Evil Diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London

Posts: 803
iTrader: (0)

Divide by 1.3557 I think so say 516 ft/lbs.

I sent an enquiry today to info@e-maps.co.uk.

I think that the box is rated up to around 800 n/m but I am worried about the software flipping into limp mode.
Evil Diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
apparently it does not do that anymore, that was the early 535d that were doing that, not heard of one 335d doing that just a weird slight holding back when the box gets hot by a 'nanny' and that was only from one person on here with a re-mappede 335d (peppernick) and his is 530ish ib/ft!!

and they rekon from 60-100 in 2.8 secs? that cant be right?? that would mean 0-100 in 7.5, (thats lambo lago territory).... from your earlier 0-60 time of 4.7!!!


surely be more like 0-100 in 11ish
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #12
Evil Diesel
Captain
 
Evil Diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London

Posts: 803
iTrader: (0)

I think this is from some guy timing a run off an internet vid - you're right this it must be b/s.

I think that the map is the same as CA Automotive pushing out 515 ft/lbs.

Even so, fast as f*ck!!!!!
Evil Diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #13
EVOgone
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 - 32d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cheshire

Posts: 132
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
Chris it`ll do it no harm whatsoever. FYI I followed an E90 320d from 80-140 and my remapped 325d was only marginally quicker. I think he was pretty much done there and I could`ve gone for another 20-25 but acc. wise there was very little in it. His must`ve been really boosted `tho as there was smoke pouring from the exhaust and I mean really pouring like a smoke screen. If you don`t have a particle filter bear this in mind but any decent tuner will accomodate for this anyway.


My remapped 320d seems to be flying at the moment (always use BP ultimate now). I origionally had a blast all the way from 70-150 with a 3.0 Z4 and there was 2 car lengths in it. Min tops out at 150.

You getting a 330d??

Milage 14k now and had it done at 6k.
EVOgone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOgone View Post
My remapped 320d seems to be flying at the moment (always use BP ultimate now). I origionally had a blast all the way from 70-150 with a 3.0 Z4 and there was 2 car lengths in it. Min tops out at 150.

You getting a 330d??

Milage 14k now and had it done at 6k.

arent you the chap whos said the performance dropped off for while?

whats your BHP at the fly??


Carl
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
Paul330d
Torque junky
 
Paul330d's Avatar
 
Drives: Remapped e90 330d
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: France (UK expat)

Posts: 1,689
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330d  [0.00]
2005 Fiat Panda 4x4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris33 View Post
Do you think it's to late to have it remapped to 208 bhp by DMS?
On the contrary: the more miles you do before a remap (within reason), the more hp you're going to get.
__________________
www.greenkeepers.fr - spécialiste des tondeuses à gazon hélicoïdales atco qualcast ransomes lawnflite
Paul330d is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #16
Steve A
Brigadier General
 
Steve A's Avatar
 
Drives: too much
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manchester UK

Posts: 3,464
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul330d View Post
On the contrary: the more miles you do before a remap (within reason), the more hp you're going to get.

Paul i disagree, it doesnt matter when you remap, the engine gets used to a remapp within 200 miles so having 20k on the clock is irelavent. there is another school of thought that the harder you loosen an engine up the more BHP you get, therefor remap at the sart more powerful engine

CAA remapped mine its got between 340-350bhp and 500+lbs torque, its plenty believe me.

The reason why i didnt use DMS is cos the bloke onthe phone slagged other companies off and i dont like that approach.
__________________
C350 cdi sport estate facelift 457lbft
130i M SportMercedes C350 CDI Sport Estate AutoMini Cooper Auto.Mercedes E250 CGI,Lexus IS-F,R36, RS4 Saloon,ML 420 CDI SPORT,M6, 335d, C55, C32, M3, M5, S3, ALL SOLD but fondly remembered
Steve A is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #17
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
Paul i disagree, it doesnt matter when you remap, the engine gets used to a remapp within 200 miles so having 20k on the clock is irelavent. there is another school of thought that the harder you loosen an engine up the more BHP you get, therefor remap at the sart more powerful engine

CAA remapped mine its got between 340-350bhp and 500+lbs torque, its plenty believe me.

The reason why i didnt use DMS is cos the bloke onthe phone slagged other companies off and i dont like that approach.
you have no proof tho steve its making 340-350bhp??

you guestimating???


or had it roaded?


what happens if your turbo's or box lets go?? do CAA cover the cost if bmw dont?

i have heard DMS do thats the only reason i would consider them over CAA!

have you noticed any excess smoke since the re-map?

also does it de-activate the 155mph limiter/guvenor for the diesel?


carl
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #18
squeezebm
Colonel
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Notts

Posts: 2,652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
I was always under the impression that the more miles the better for a remap. Going to get mine done eventually, if there are any more interested, we could try and arrange a group discount.
Count me IN i like discount
squeezebm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #19
squeezebm
Colonel
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Notts

Posts: 2,652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
Paul i disagree, it doesnt matter when you remap, the engine gets used to a remapp within 200 miles so having 20k on the clock is irelavent. there is another school of thought that the harder you loosen an engine up the more BHP you get, therefor remap at the sart more powerful engine

CAA remapped mine its got between 340-350bhp and 500+lbs torque, its plenty believe me.

The reason why i didnt use DMS is cos the bloke onthe phone slagged other companies off and i dont like that approach.
DMS Guy was obviously having a bad day when i also spoke him-coincidence or just an arrogant git
squeezebm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #20
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

Posts: 29,262
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
DMS Guy was obviously having a bad day when i also spoke him-coincidence or just an arrogant git
i might give stu at MSD a ring see if he does 335d, shall i ask about try get group disco with him?
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
dxb335d is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #21
Evil Diesel
Captain
 
Evil Diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London

Posts: 803
iTrader: (0)

Why not.

I imagine the remaps are fairly discrete otherwise my leasing company may be a bit pissed!
Evil Diesel is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #22
Oli
Campervan man
 
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: here, there, everywhere......

Posts: 2,667
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
you have no proof tho steve its making 340-350bhp??


i have heard DMS do thats the only reason i would consider them over CAA!
I would like to see the small print on their warranty.....probably not worth the paper its written on!!! But most remaps are well within the manufacturers tolerances and you should have no problems whatsoever.
Oli is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST