E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Coolant Question.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
davidelectricred
Private First Class
3
Rep
126
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330I sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Coolant Question.

So I got the coolant low light this morning. Stopped at a dealership after work and bought a gallon of coolant. I asked the parts guy if I could just go pour it in my car and he yea.

After doing more research after getting home. I saw people saying that you should vent the system so you don't get any air leaks.

So is it to late to vent my system? Should I be worried?
Oh and the parts guy didn't say anything about adding water so I just pour straight from the gallon jug. Is that a problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
6
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austin

iTrader: (8)

I'm not familiar with this venting process but depending on how much you are adding you should really spit it 50/50 with distiller water. If you are only adding a cup or two you don't have to worry about adding the water.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
ryan stewart
Private First Class
1
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328it
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Depending on environment 50/50 with water is what you should do (it can vary a bit based on where you live and what you want but 50/50 works for most. See if you can get de-ionized water, its the best possible for your cooling system in the long haul.

As for venting (which I assume is the same as bleeding) if youre just low then you shouldnt need to but you could play it safe and, after you top it off, let the car heat up and run the heat on full blast to make sure coolant is circulating everywhere, eliminating as much air as possible.

The biggest question you should be asking is why you got the low coolant light. Modern systems are all sealed so evap isnt an issue and the engine shouldnt consume under normal circumstances. You might have a leak somewhere that you would want to address (especially if its around a hose fitting or the like) before it turned into a major failure that would leave you on the side of the road. Any good mech should be able to test if the system is holding pressure and, if not, track down the leak.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
JuppiOne
Captain
7
Rep
691
Posts

 
Drives: everyone crazy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MO

iTrader: (4)

dont just mix the coolant with water, read the instruction first, they may be premixed already.

theres no need to vent, since you are just adding coolant, and for that matter, unlike brake fluid, coolant will vent itself once the water pump is running
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
monza2t
Private First Class
monza2t's Avatar
1
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i, R52 Mini, F25 X3 x35
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuppiOne View Post
dont just mix the coolant with water, read the instruction first, they may be premixed already.

theres no need to vent, since you are just adding coolant, and for that matter, unlike brake fluid, coolant will vent itself once the water pump is running
+1

Purging air is only required if you empty the system completely
__________________
_____________________________________________
E90 328i Sport & Prem // R52 MINI S JCW // X3 x35i
62 Mini Cooper 997 // 62 Vespa // Laphroaig 30-yr
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
DASHOCKER's Avatar
Germany
34
Rep
1,867
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to DASHOCKER
distilled water costs a buck. keep it handy to top off coolant. no issues will arise.
__________________
2007 335 coupe Alpine white, steptronic, sportpack, etc. (gone)
2006 X3 3.0 steptronic Titanium Silver, 2009 E92 335xdrive, next.... Caddy CTS_V! 13 Lincoln MKZ? hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
davidelectricred
Private First Class
3
Rep
126
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330I sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the replies everyone. To start ill say I have an 06 330i build date:08/05 and I don't think the cooking system has been serviced which should explain why I need coolant. I'm glad that I didn't need to vent the system. The not so good thing is that like I said in the original post. I was in a rush to add coolant to prevent over heating so I didn't add water. So what should I do?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
davidelectricred
Private First Class
3
Rep
126
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330I sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Sorry for the picture being so large. iPhones....
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
MooseCaboose
a typical BMW douchebag
MooseCaboose's Avatar
4
Rep
353
Posts

 
Drives: slammed
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (1)

no thread hijack, just thought id keep this in a relevant post..

i got a low cooling warning also,

only because of what seems like a leak a few days ago. went on a 2 hour drive with my girl and all of a sudden i get the warning. pull over to open the hood and see coolant splash marks all over the coolant bin....i also got a car overheating warning. so i let it sit for about 15 mins in the shade and made my way. overheating warning disappeared but low coolant is still here(obviously). tried to look for a leak but cant find it anywhere...

anyone know what caused this? its not leaking right now. i got an appt with the dealer in a few days for a coolant flush. also it was around 35 degrees c if that matters. never had this issue in hotter weather before either..
maybe it was an emergency valve discharging incase of too much pressure??
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Whit
Private
Whit's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 06' 325i, 09' X5 30i, 67' 912
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseCaboose View Post
no thread hijack, just thought id keep this in a relevant post..

i got a low cooling warning also,

only because of what seems like a leak a few days ago. went on a 2 hour drive with my girl and all of a sudden i get the warning. pull over to open the hood and see coolant splash marks all over the coolant bin....i also got a car overheating warning. so i let it sit for about 15 mins in the shade and made my way. overheating warning disappeared but low coolant is still here(obviously). tried to look for a leak but cant find it anywhere...

anyone know what caused this? its not leaking right now. i got an appt with the dealer in a few days for a coolant flush. also it was around 35 degrees c if that matters. never had this issue in hotter weather before either..
maybe it was an emergency valve discharging incase of too much pressure??
Quite a few of us have just gone through this. Your water pump is out...or going out. Plan on replacing your water pump and thermostat at the same time. Mileage?
See thread....
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715329
__________________
Whit
Northern Nor Cal
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
ryan stewart
Private First Class
1
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328it
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidelectricred View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. To start ill say I have an 06 330i build date:08/05 and I don't think the cooking system has been serviced which should explain why I need coolant. I'm glad that I didn't need to vent the system. The not so good thing is that like I said in the original post. I was in a rush to add coolant to prevent over heating so I didn't add water. So what should I do?
If you just dropped a half liter in there its not a big thing. It just wont cool quite as well as the proper mix (a trivial amount where we are) but its not at risk of boiling or anything. Just keep a bottle of deionized water on hand for the next top off.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
monza2t
Private First Class
monza2t's Avatar
1
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i, R52 Mini, F25 X3 x35
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Just keep a bottle of deionized water on hand for the next top off.
where can I buy that

I think you meant distilled water. DI water is an industrial cleaning agent. you dont want DI in your car, it will attack the aluminum, iron, and stainless.
__________________
_____________________________________________
E90 328i Sport & Prem // R52 MINI S JCW // X3 x35i
62 Mini Cooper 997 // 62 Vespa // Laphroaig 30-yr
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,326
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta (Vinings)

iTrader: (0)

OP....don't sweat it. You'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
davidelectricred
Private First Class
3
Rep
126
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330I sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Thank you all so much, I was nervous.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
26
Rep
2,361
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidelectricred View Post
Thank you all so much, I was nervous.
HI there,

I have the same car as you 330i built in 05 Last year I had the same issue where my low coolant light came on. I was worried but all I did was add coolant (make sure is the blue kind from BMW) and no more warning light ever since. Running strong today 93k miles.

Ive heard that coolant can evaporate and eventually would go under the level mark. Hope this helps. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST