E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dension iCon Drive

08-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
sylonien
Major

Drives: M3

Smile Dension iCon Drive

Anyone heard about this thing before?

Always wanted to upgrade to CIC but just too much hassle and mainly, the cost.
But this seems to be quite cool and do what I want it to do. Browse my iPod smoothly, display artwork and apparently even videos!

http://www.dension.com/product/icon-drive
sylonien is offline   United Kingdom
      08-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
chedixon
First Lieutenant

Drives: E93 320d Msport

Haven't seen that product before but it looks good, I've used a couple of other dension iPod and Bluetooth kits before and have always been really impressed by them, I'd say go for it, sure you'll be happy. Their customer service is good too, they regularly release patches and updates so you tend to get new features in the future free of charge too
      08-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
terminator2k2
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 e90

hi there sylonien, i think you posted on my youtube video reference the icon drive?

if so , i got mine from the well known auction site.....dont know if i can say traders name on here.......there service was great, but unfortunatley the icon drive wouldnt work with my ccc, possibly due to old software on the ccc (brown screen). in the end i had to get a refund.....

the install is easy enough, but i had a few problems.....

1. the vim activator totaly screwed the vim.....when ever i selected TV i always got the message about driving with video being disabled. this was ok to begin with, i had video from the icon drive but as soon as i took the hand break off i got the message. i was told to redo the vim , and this is where something went wrong.....i then always got the vim screen...

2. when it was working , i still couldnt control the iphone. this is possibly due to old software on my ccc (brown screen) and also my idrive controller has the motor feedback.

3. having to select pal on my iphone settings everytime i connected it to the cable.(it does state this, but i thought it wouldnt be a problem, its a ball ache if you keep reconnecting)

i really didnt get to try this unit out properly due to the problems i had, i planned on putting a western digital media player in the glove box so i could play media from usb, but i never got that far.

i never tried the blutooth functions as my car has a tcu anyway , so this wasnt needed.....

any more questions just fire away.......

chris
      08-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
sylonien
Major

Hello terminator

yeah but I swear I saw your thread from another forum? Anyway,

I think i've got the old CCC with the old motorised iDrive controller (according to wikipedia) where the slightly updated one has the free spinning controller and the grey main menu screen before the CIC update.

I assume I will run in to the same problem as you then

Is it possible to update the CCC software?

It sounds like a problem with the issues you having, plus I would really like to run video of the phone to the screen. I guess you never managed to get it that far?
      08-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
terminator2k2
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 e90

hi there, yes i posted on the 5 series forums, possibly where you saw the videos.....

i would say 99% you will have the same problems....you can get the ccc software updated, but you will lose the motorised controller and have the free turning one.

i decided against it as it wasnt cost effective for me, i got quoted 160 with no guarentee that the idrive would actualy work after lol.....and if you put that on top of the 349.99 for the icon drive, your slowly stepping into the cost of a cic unit.

i couldnt try the video from the iphone as you have to hold the controller in the down position for 3 seconds after you have enabled the controller for use with the icon drive by pressing next track button on the stereo or steering wheel controls. which i couldnt get to work anyway.

i think you may also need the newer version of ccc, the one with the extra programmable buttons on the unit. mine only has the volume knob and track forward/ backwards buttons. so a software update might not actualy work.

i keep popping over the 5 series forums to see if any of them in there group buy has actualy recieved/installed it yet.....just curiuose lol...

chris
      08-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Bobbybmw22
JB4, BMS intake

Drives: White BMW 335xi Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Ive been Looking for this everywhere does this actually work and if it does at a minimal cost i would be very interested cause i would love to see control everyhting from the i-drive
Bobbybmw22 is offline   United_States
      08-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
sylonien
Major

Aiyaaaa why so many problems man. Just wanted to get it to work. Sounds like a right hassle and likely to run in to the exact same problem as you. I might try and ring around some Dension dealers and see what they have to say or to see if they would try it out and see and refund like you if not.

really like the sound of it, from the video but sounds like it's flawed at the moment.